Class 5A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2007?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2007?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order as far as playoffs go-Millington,Ridgeway,Bolton. 4th is anybody's guess. Bartlett will be better under coach Armbruster, Cordova will be scrappy as always. Arlington will get a taste of what 5A football is all about. I hope they are ready. They haven't played anybody yet.

• 1 month later...

Noone likes Craigmont to compete? I think Millington and Ridgeway will be in, but it seems like a toss up everywhere else. Arlington may struggle with their first year. Cordova has a good offensive coordinator, but talent is a little lacking. Bartlett and Bolton are a little weaker this year, so I don't know why Craigmont is being dismissed. Central and Overton will be very long shots, although I heard they looked good in camp. I guess we'll see in a few weeks how they compete with Christian Brothers. If they compete (or somehow win), I think it gives them some confidence through the season. If they get blown out of the water, they may struggle.

I think Millington will be first. Ridgeway lost 26 seniors plus a few starters who have transferred to other schools but I still think they will make the playoffs. Millington was in position to beat Ridgeway last year but RHS came back in the last 2 min. of the game. Bartlett will be trying to rebuild their program and get more kids back out for football. The fact that Arlington chose not to play a varsity schedule last year will hurt them. Not sure how Bolton was affected by graduation but I know Cordova was hit hard. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out!

• 4 weeks later...

Terrico is not playing football as of right now. Rumor is he wants the head coach to come ask him to play, and that's not gonna happen. Terrico is a good QB, however, this team has plenty of athletes on the field and should do fairly well this year. They won 34-18 against Raleigh Egypt last week, and that was with referees calling every little thing against them (didn't help that one of the Craigmont defenders upset off the head ref at the beginning of the game). Raleigh Egypt was pretty much given 2 touchdowns off penalties committed by a team that was a little too fired up to play their rivals. After getting a 34-6 lead, the head coach also pulled the starting QB along with many other starters. And to add to the favorite vote by most on here, Ridgeway has looked TERRIBLE in their first 2 games. It would be very surprising if they managed to turn things around and make the playoffs. Arlington surprised us all by defeating Germantown 21-7. I haven't seen anything on that game, so it's hard to tell if Arlington beat them, or if Germantown just overlooked them and got caught. Millington has looked very good, and they should probably win the region. But I guess the major test for Craigmont, as I said before, comes tonight against CBHS.

I have to be honest. I never expected Germantown to lose to Arlington, let alone, by 14 points. Last year, Arlington didn't beat any quality large school teams. Nobody knew what to expect from them. It's still too early to tell, but I??™m going to give Arlington the benefit of the doubt just because they beat Germantown who has perennially been a dominant team in 5A. Craigmont has consistently been on the outside looking in in 7-5A. I see where you guys beat 3A Raleigh Egypt. Let's see how you guys do against CBHS and the rest of your schedule. With Ridgeway playing poorly in its 1st two games, I'm going to pick the 7-5A playoff teams as follows:

Millington, Bolton, Cordova, Arlington. Not necessarily in this order, but I think these will be the 4 teams. If Ridgeway turns things around, they may bump one of these four. I'm sorry GoChiefs ... I have to see the chiefs pull it off first before I believe it. I may be totally wrong about Arlington ... but a 14 point victory over Germantown gives them big props with me. The jury is still out on Craigmont, Ridgeway, and Bartlett though.

Well, the Chiefs went through a tough game Friday, but the defense actually played Eric Watson pretty well. He had 97 yards on the game, with 52 of it coming on their first drive of the game. The mishandled snap at the very end of the 1st half that put the Chiefs down 24-0 really hurt, and the kickoff return to open the 2nd half was a crippling blow. Offensively, the Chiefs had recievers running wild, but the offensive line struggled to protect the QB and couldn't get the ball to them as much as hoped. Overall, a few miscues (very untimely fumbles and a late snap that hit a motion man in the head) did the Chiefs in by giving CBHS a short field to work with. Millington really handed it to Arlington also (47-0). Poor tackling haunted the Tigers all night long. Their defenders were in the right position, they just did not execute, and Travis Simpson took advantage along with the rest of the Trojan backs. Ridgeway hung 40 on a bad Overton team (40-6), so it seems like the jury may still be out on them. Bartlett and Bolton played a very low scoring affair with Bartlett pulling out the W, 10-3. Cordova blanked Central 21-0, who is in just about the same boat as Overton. And not to take away the big victory by Arlington over Germantown a couple weeks ago, but Germantown fell again (35-0 to Collierville) and looks as if they may struggle this year. So it seems that 7-5A is wide open apart from Millington, who I still think as I did before will win the region.