Public's should not play private schools

It is pretty simple. DIV II was created for private schools...they should all go and play there...divide up however they want.

They all recruit, some are just honest about it. I have coached many youth in my area. Only this past summer I had a gentleman inquire about a player. I happened to be talking with the players dad at that time, within thirty minutes he had an offer, free ride through high school and full transportation.....all he had to do was play football. Oh by the way the offering gentleman was the head coach of a private school that doesn't recruit or offer scholarships. The kid is awesome by the way.

No...Division II was created for schools who give financial aide...not for all private schools...read the TSSAA by laws...and recruiting is illegal in any Division including Div II...does recruiting happen...yes...by some private schools..yes...by some public schools yes...

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...Division II was created for schools who give financial aide...not for all private schools...read the TSSAA by laws...and recruiting is illegal in any Division including Div II...does recruiting happen...yes...by some private schools..yes...by some public schools yes...

Do you think recruiting can be stopped? I personally dont any more. We have the foxes guarding the hen house. Can it be managed and overseen? Yes, I think it can, although I know there will still be abusers and dishonest people involved. Its going to happen, so what do you think about implementing rules that are more inline with what colleges do?

Do you think recruiting can be stopped? I personally dont any more. We have the foxes guarding the hen house. Can it be managed and overseen? Yes, I think it can, although I know there will still be abusers and dishonest people involved. Its going to happen, so what do you think about implementing rules that are more inline with what colleges do?

I think recruiting to some degree will always exist in both private and public schools...the reasons...honest people will always be honest and dishonest prople will always be dishonest...it is a matter of ethics...you either have them or you don't...and ethics will never be legislated...people in any setting...private or public who want to cheat will find ways too...

I think recruiting to some degree will always exist in both private and public schools...the reasons...honest people will always be honest and dishonest prople will always be dishonest...it is a matter of ethics...you either have them or you don't...and ethics will never be legislated...people in any setting...private or public who want to cheat will find ways too...

so what do you think about making recruiting legal but then putting controls in place?

Make recruiting legal? Do you really think it is good idea to have all high school coaches out recruiting?

I don't.

I dont really either, but what is being done now (self policing) isnt working, and the recruiting is happening any way. I'm not pointing any fingers at any publics or any privates, but it is happening.

Just spit balling. And no, I dont want to legalize pot, lol.

Heard a hot little rumor just the other day. I am sure it is probably more towards the truth than towards a rumor given the past.

Apparently the infamous Sean Tuohy (see Michael Oher, Greg Hardy, others) is about to go on another athlete shopping spree for Briarcrest. I have heard of at least one kid who is transferring bc Tuohy (who's son will be a freshman next year) has stated on numerous occasions, that he will ensure that his son is on winning teams by surrounding him with great talent..hmmm

This is sad! Thanks for single handedly giving private schools a bad name. It is amazing that the between the NCAA and the TSSAA, no one has punished this man despite the mountains of evidence (including his own admission in the BLIND SIDE book) of paying for players.

There is a right way (giving kids financial aid based on need as established by the government) and the wrong way (buying players).

Sean Tuohy did not admit to paying players in The Blind Side. Of course if buying the odd meal for a dirt poor child is "paying" them, you might have a point, not a good one, but a point. Sean Tuohy was investigated by the NCAA and there was no finding of improprieties after an exhaustive investigation. You ought to actually read the book before misquoting it. The story is a wonderful example of a family making a "feral" child one of their own. Of Michael Lewis' good books, this might have been his best.

I will plead guilty of recruiting many times over the years. I'll confess to doing it the way many private school parents do it on a regular basis. Get your pen and paper.

I coached several different sports at the rec league level when my children were younger. When I noticed a child who was smart and well behaved, I asked the parents if they had considered _______. Some times they say they had but didn't have the resources to pay tuition. I suggested to them that the school would ask them to send their financial information to the financial assessment service in Princeton NJ which would determine if they qualified for financial aid. Frequently they didn't qualify and had to make the decision whether the benefits of private education wer worth the costs. If if they did qualify, many times they would still have to pay a significant part of tuition. Oh yeah, one other thing, every now and then the kid was a decent athlete. One kid ended up playing D1 athletics and a couple played for D111 schools. If you're willing to give me credit for recognizing that kind of talent in sixth graders, I've got some swamp land I'll sell you. Confession is good for the soul.

Are you trying to say it's impossible to tell who has talent among sixth graders?

No, but it is impossible to predict whether 6th grade talent will translate to high school talent...or vice versa. Except for the Athletotron, which is, of course, the machine that gives the privates their advantage as it can predict future great athletes at very young ages.

so what do you think about making recruiting legal but then putting controls in place?

I am opposed to it becasue the rules you put in place sould not be enforced any better than the no recruiting rule is now and becasue just like drugs...we can't stop them but that doesn't mean they should be legal

No, but it is impossible to predict whether 6th grade talent will translate to high school talent...or vice versa. Except for the Athletotron, which is, of course, the machine that gives the privates their advantage as it can predict future great athletes at very young ages.

No it's not. It's rare when you have a late developer except maybe in the offensive line, or when a student has just started a sport. It's easy to see who will be among the best in a program, even at that age. The best middle school softball player around here last year was just a sixth-grader, dominated against seventh and eighth-graders, she's at GPS now by the way.