Public's should not play private schools

Here's what a Division II, Class A, might look like:

District 1: (5) Knoxville Grace, Knoxville Christian, CAK, J Frank White, King???s Academy

District 2: (6) Chattanooga Grace, Silverdale Academy, Temple, Boyd-Buchanan, Chattanooga Christian, David Brainerd

District 3: (6) Boyd-Christian, St. Andrew's Sewanee, Columbia Academy, Zion Christian, Webb, Middle Tennessee Christian

District 4: (7) Mt Juliet Christian, College Heights, Goodpasture, Friendship Christian, CPA, Ezell-Harding, Donelson Christian

District 5: (8) Clarksville Academy, BGA, Davidson Academy, St. Cecilia, University School, Nashville Christian, David Lipscomb, Franklin Road Academy

District 6: (5) Carroll Academy, Jackson Christian, Trinity Christian, Fayette Academy, Jackson University School

District 7: (5) Lighthouse Christian, First Assembly, Rossville Christian, Tipton-Rosemark, St. George's

District 8: (6) SBEC, Immaculate Conception, Memphis Catholic, Lausanne, Elliston Baptist, Bishop Byrne

The problem with this scenario is that you still have VERY talented teams playing against a HUGE discrepancy of talent. But maybe the public "supporters" don't care, as long as it isn't in their back yard.

But the problem will be there in their own public division even if the privates were gone, if you would look at it with a true objective opinion.

The ONLY way for a fair breakdown of skill against like skill is for a MERIT system. This would allow small publics to compete against like talented publics or privates (as the great Bald one has said, not EVERY private has it all) Some do. But you put the teams together that would push each other, but wouldn't have to stay in that division if things got really bad. They would move down, get some success, then could move back up again. Shoot! Our middle school soccer organization has done this for the past 9 YEARS! We have 6 divisions A-F. You have a really good season, you move up in the tournament. OK season, you stay where you are. Bad season, you move down. Now, if we can do this will ALL of the Knox county area schools all the way from Oneida to Maryville, including all size schools public and private, I am SURE that the TSSAA could figure something out! Have them give Dave Melendy a call. He has been doing this for ages. Not without grief, mind you. But the right teams play each other in the end. (and on a really ironic note, not a SINGLE private school won a division, but NONE of them cried "foul play", because they were playing equal talent)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say USJ is head above shoulders the nicest with JCS and Milan being about the same (their field houses are identical) although Milan's isn't on campus, JCS's is. Milan's field has been renovated and had some improvments done and JCS from what I hear are going to do the same in the next year maybe 2. And unless Huntingdon has gotten something new in the last three years thiers would be 4th out of the 4. Both Milan and Huntingdon's are "adequate", but they ain't USJ adequate.

Gibson Co shares with a middle school football and thier soccer, Westview has nothing but a nice metal shed type building for an on campus locker room that is by their practice field but plays at UTM's stadium (which is a dump) Decatur Co-Riverside shares with middle school football and soccer. There's three from my neck of the woods.

I hate to break-up the arguing over who is right and what shcools should play where, but I have a concern. I have heard of a case recently where a student athlete transfered schools (which shall remain nameless) but I will say that one was Div II and that the one he went to was Div I A private. He was at the Div II school becasue of family reasons that were beyong his control (divorced parents, with dominating father). The school he transfered to petitioned the TSSAA for him to be eligable for athletics without the year long suspension for transfering. The school he came from sent letters of recomendation for him to play imediately, letters from doctors and therapist recomended the same thing becasue of his father. All the kid wants to do is play sports in his last year of eligability, and just have a normal year of high school which he hasn't had in the previous three because he wasn't constantly moved by his father.

The TSSAA denied the petition despite doctor and therapist recomendation, a recomendation from the previous school, and from personal interview.

My question is, would this student have been denied if he was trying to transfer into a public school? I'm not trying to start any kind of arguement, I just want to know why this kid was denied. Why should he suffer because of something that was never in his control, for something that he was made to do?

I know that there is only one member on the comittee or whatever that is affiliated with a private school, and I heard that he is not longer there. Does this public dominence of "power" keep an innocent child from playing sports?

I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions on it.

I hate to break-up the arguing over who is right and what shcools should play where, but I have a concern. I have heard of a case recently where a student athlete transfered schools (which shall remain nameless) but I will say that one was Div II and that the one he went to was Div I A private. He was at the Div II school becasue of family reasons that were beyong his control (divorced parents, with dominating father). The school he transfered to petitioned the TSSAA for him to be eligable for athletics without the year long suspension for transfering. The school he came from sent letters of recomendation for him to play imediately, letters from doctors and therapist recomended the same thing becasue of his father. All the kid wants to do is play sports in his last year of eligability, and just have a normal year of high school which he hasn't had in the previous three because he wasn't constantly moved by his father.

The TSSAA denied the petition despite doctor and therapist recomendation, a recomendation from the previous school, and from personal interview.

My question is, would this student have been denied if he was trying to transfer into a public school? I'm not trying to start any kind of arguement, I just want to know why this kid was denied. Why should he suffer because of something that was never in his control, for something that he was made to do?

I know that there is only one member on the comittee or whatever that is affiliated with a private school, and I heard that he is not longer there. Does this public dominence of "power" keep an innocent child from playing sports?

It sounds like the kid should get to play, but without more information or an explanation from TSSAA its difficult to have an informed opinion. It would all be supposition, and too much of that goes on here to begin with.

It sounds like the kid should get to play, but without more information or an explanation from TSSAA its difficult to have an informed opinion. It would all be supposition, and too much of that goes on here to begin with.

Thats just the thing, the TSSAA didn't give an explaination, they just said no. Maybe an explaination could clear upsome grey areas.

The problem with this scenario is that you still have VERY talented teams playing against a HUGE discrepancy of talent. But maybe the public "supporters" don't care, as long as it isn't in their back yard.

But the problem will be there in their own public division even if the privates were gone, if you would look at it with a true objective opinion.

The ONLY way for a fair breakdown of skill against like skill is for a MERIT system. This would allow small publics to compete against like talented publics or privates (as the great Bald one has said, not EVERY private has it all) Some do. But you put the teams together that would push each other, but wouldn't have to stay in that division if things got really bad. They would move down, get some success, then could move back up again. Shoot! Our middle school soccer organization has done this for the past 9 YEARS! We have 6 divisions A-F. You have a really good season, you move up in the tournament. OK season, you stay where you are. Bad season, you move down. Now, if we can do this will ALL of the Knox county area schools all the way from Oneida to Maryville, including all size schools public and private, I am SURE that the TSSAA could figure something out! Have them give Dave Melendy a call. He has been doing this for ages. Not without grief, mind you. But the right teams play each other in the end. (and on a really ironic note, not a SINGLE private school won a division, but NONE of them cried "foul play", because they were playing equal talent)

A merit system could increase the travel, depending on which teams are placed where. That's one of the arguments against a complete split (although it's not a very valid argument). One projected five class merit system, with all privates including current Division II members, only had three teams in Southeast Tennessee in one particular class. This could change from period to period.

A merit system could increase the travel, depending on which teams are placed where. That's one of the arguments against a complete split (although it's not a very valid argument). One projected five class merit system, with all privates including current Division II members, only had three teams in Southeast Tennessee in one particular class. This could change from period to period.

True, but how much more travel than if all privates were put in D2? A school Catholics size wouldn't be in the same division as Grace or Berean.

If he was transferring from Div II to a public school with the circumstances you cited, I believe and have seen this type of request granted by the TSSAA. They are much more difficult when transferring from private to private or from public to private. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If he was transferring from Div II to a public school with the circumstances you cited, I believe and have seen this type of request granted by the TSSAA. They are much more difficult when transferring from private to private or from public to private. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Got any examples, with the specific facts that TSSAA had before it, or is this just a generalization?

Got any examples, with the specific facts that TSSAA had before it, or is this just a generalization?

No examples that I would care to air out on a public forum. I am simply stating that if you attempt a transfer from say private to private, or from public to private, it is for whatever reason more difficult then transferring from private to public. The rules of transfer are looked at case by case by TSSAA. Some schools may have an advantage that is not on paper, but exists regardless. Where is the place where a rule is in place and thats the way it is. It certainly is not in sports in Tennessee. If anyone thinks that rules are not bent or broken all the time by many, many schools, both public and private, then I would like to sell them some beach property in Nevada. Maybe its the rules that need to be looked at or the board or single individual that makes these decisions are not a true representative of the good people of Tennessee. Just because a rule exists does not mean that it is correct, fair, etc, and alot of individuals will act accordingly depending on whether they agree with the rule or don't agree. No reason to think that schools which consist of people would not do the same. And to answer your question on your original post, I think the request would have been granted if he was transferring from private to public. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I can give you an example. Last year, an athlete played football for JPII in the Fall. He then transferred to Centennial after Christmas without a change of residence and wrestled for them during the same school year.