Thanks TSSAA

fb247

There have been some great points made during this discussion and as always, there have been some not so great points. Who cares what type of car you drive? Does that car define who you are? The best athletes, the ones that have "it", were born with "it". Most of the time, it is their drive that seperates them from the rest of the crowd. This is the kid that does not have to be pushed, he is the pusher. This kid does'nt take time off. During the dead period, he works. On Vacation, he runs on the beech. He does this because he wants to be the best he can be or he wants that starting job. His family supports him and makes many sacrifices to see that he meets his goals. He may not be the biggest, strongest or the fastest but because of his drive, he will not stop till he has what he wants. Coaches can't teach this on the field or on the board. This kid is unique, he represents maybe 10% of todays kids. Odds are he will be successful after his playing days are over. So, what about that other 90%? These are the kids that need to be pushed. They have tons of distractions or should I say opportunities to do other things. Just because I play HALO on the PS2 does'nt mean I can parachute out of a plane and take over a country. As a coach, I enjoy the time off, it gives me time with my family, time I will not have once the 2 a days start. Does that mean I totally forget about football during this period? Not if I want to achieve my goals. I have to fit it in somewhere , just as the 90% kids have to fit it in. If these kids take 2 or 3 weeks off or work half heartedly during this time, they will lose what they had worked for prior to the break. Ok, fine some parents work w/ their kids during the dead period and during the summer. I commend this and think all parents should , if possible, help their kids get better. However, do you know what you are doing? Is your kid using the proper form and techniques that his coaches want? Most parents think that their kids are better than they actually are and should be on the field. This is High School, not Pee Wee. Unfortunately some kids do not get to play for some reason or another. This does not make them unimportant to the team. Team, remember that word. Football is the ultimate team sport, nothing else compares. There is no substitute for a team working together, teamwork. Sure a kid can work on his own but it can't compare to working with the team. Everyone in the weight room, on the field, watching film, that is team work. That is the bonding and the "brotherhood". If one starter misses a practice, it can throw off the teams chemistry. It takes a great deal of time to work well as a team. Every practice helps with timing, execution, trust and not to mention, conditioning. In the summer heat, conditioning might be the most important aspect. I understand the purpose of giving kids a break and as coaches, we need to be aware of when a break is needed. The problem is that the 90% kids come back out of shape and the team timing is off. This jepordizes the kids health because as the season grows near and the coaches turn up the heat, some kids can't make it. It is a coaches dream to have his team come back from the break in better shape or atleast the same shape they left with. Rarely does this occur, with the exception of the 10% kid. Life is'nt easy nor is playing football. If you dont want your kid to prepare for adulthood, let them play checkers or chess. They can play it sitting on the couch, in the air conditioning while sipping on lemonade. Also, they can take as many breaks as they want.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some great points made during this discussion and as always, there have been some not so great points. Who cares what type of car you drive? Does that car define who you are? The best athletes, the ones that have "it", were born with "it". Most of the time, it is their drive that seperates them from the rest of the crowd. This is the kid that does not have to be pushed, he is the pusher. This kid does'nt take time off. During the dead period, he works. On Vacation, he runs on the beech. He does this because he wants to be the best he can be or he wants that starting job. His family supports him and makes many sacrifices to see that he meets his goals. He may not be the biggest, strongest or the fastest but because of his drive, he will not stop till he has what he wants. Coaches can't teach this on the field or on the board. This kid is unique, he represents maybe 10% of todays kids. Odds are he will be successful after his playing days are over. So, what about that other 90%? These are the kids that need to be pushed. They have tons of distractions or should I say opportunities to do other things. Just because I play HALO on the PS2 does'nt mean I can parachute out of a plane and take over a country. As a coach, I enjoy the time off, it gives me time with my family, time I will not have once the 2 a days start. Does that mean I totally forget about football during this period? Not if I want to achieve my goals. I have to fit it in somewhere , just as the 90% kids have to fit it in. If these kids take 2 or 3 weeks off or work half heartedly during this time, they will lose what they had worked for prior to the break. Ok, fine some parents work w/ their kids during the dead period and during the summer. I commend this and think all parents should , if possible, help their kids get better. However, do you know what you are doing? Is your kid using the proper form and techniques that his coaches want? Most parents think that their kids are better than they actually are and should be on the field. This is High School, not Pee Wee. Unfortunately some kids do not get to play for some reason or another. This does not make them unimportant to the team. Team, remember that word. Football is the ultimate team sport, nothing else compares. There is no substitute for a team working together, teamwork. Sure a kid can work on his own but it can't compare to working with the team. Everyone in the weight room, on the field, watching film, that is team work. That is the bonding and the "brotherhood". If one starter misses a practice, it can throw off the teams chemistry. It takes a great deal of time to work well as a team. Every practice helps with timing, execution, trust and not to mention, conditioning. In the summer heat, conditioning might be the most important aspect. I understand the purpose of giving kids a break and as coaches, we need to be aware of when a break is needed. The problem is that the 90% kids come back out of shape and the team timing is off. This jepordizes the kids health because as the season grows near and the coaches turn up the heat, some kids can't make it. It is a coaches dream to have his team come back from the break in better shape or atleast the same shape they left with. Rarely does this occur, with the exception of the 10% kid. Life is'nt easy nor is playing football. If you dont want your kid to prepare for adulthood, let them play checkers or chess. They can play it sitting on the couch, in the air conditioning while sipping on lemonade. Also, they can take as many breaks as they want.

Great post ,from start to finish, dead period don't work with kids who have the desire to be ,the best they can be. They will find a way to stay fit. My kid plays youth club ball, I guess he is in dead period from the end of the season ,to the start of the next. I would put him in that 10 percent thing, he don't even like anyone to outspell him. He hates failure and works to see he don;t have much of it. Although most of his training don't require weights, most highschool kids would run from it. Its called burpees,pullups,pushups, dips,rings, jumprope and the list goes on. I've taught him from day one to strive to be the best YOU can be ,that means the classroom to the sports he chooses to play. He is the kind who loves practice as much as other kids loves the games. He would cry if he had to miss a practice. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, dead week will never hurt the kids with desire. Coaching would be easy if they were all that way.

And even after playing 3 sports and doing his conditioning ,he still has time to be a kid. I guess the part that helps him is,he would rather play ball than anything else. I just hope that fast girls and pretty cars don't change his desire.

Where do you coach? If you won't say, what age do you coach? Thanks and good luck.

Great post ,from start to finish, dead period don't work with kids who have the desire to be ,the best they can be. They will find a way to stay fit. My kid plays youth club ball, I guess he is in dead period from the end of the season ,to the start of the next. I would put him in that 10 percent thing, he don't even like anyone to outspell him. He hates failure and works to see he don;t have much of it. Although most of his training don't require weights, most highschool kids would run from it. Its called burpees,pullups,pushups, dips,rings, jumprope and the list goes on. I've taught him from day one to strive to be the best YOU can be ,that means the classroom to the sports he chooses to play. He is the kind who loves practice as much as other kids loves the games. He would cry if he had to miss a practice. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, dead week will never hurt the kids with desire. Coaching would be easy if they were all that way.

And even after playing 3 sports and doing his conditioning ,he still has time to be a kid. I guess the part that helps him is,he would rather play ball than anything else. I just hope that fast girls and pretty cars don't change his desire.

How old is your child?

I wish him well.

Thanks ,and if a kid ever deserved to get somewhere,he's one of um. Alot of people look down on kids training at early ages, I believe in it wholeheartedly,he has made huge strides. You just have to be careful of what you allow them to do. Its not bodybuilding. Its speed ,strength and agility training. It works. It also teaches them to do hard things, when they get older,they will be able to handle things when the going gets tough.

I have a seven year old son and Ill move to another state if these policies stay in effect. If he ewants to be the best I will find a way.

If its in your budget D 1 or velosity is a great way for your child to get that extra training and conditioning. I have had several sons play on high school football teams and as dedicated as they were if the workouts were not mandatory I am sorry they would have probably got real laxed with it. Come late August when you see your little darlins lined up against the other team and that team is more buff and conditioned than your team are you going to be wishing they had a little more time in the weight room? how many times have you cringed at the sound of the helmets cracking hoping its not your sons bones?

This is so funny. All the parents out there who say their son does not need to be at workouts and train are the same parents who whine and complain about why their son is not playing. It might be because the other kids left them behind because of their hard work. It is also funny when those same parents are the ones getting coaches fired because their son doesn't play on a winning team. Lets face the facts, these days parents want their cake and to eat it to. They don't want to put in effort to help out a program but are the first to start up the Lets Fire the Coach cause we weren't very good talk.