Thanks TSSAA

fb247

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite sure her fundamental skills improved dramatically as a result of playiing playstation!

The one thing I have taught my children is to have an open mind and not judge the book by the cover. To look deep into someone, find the good and dispose of the bad...for we all have bad. I have taught them that one must learn to walk before learning to run and that life gives back what one puts into it. She is a rising 8th grader and is constantly learning something new. But the fundamentals...she learned long ago. I am not a gamer nor an advocate thereof, but when something is as overwhelming to a young adult as video games are then as a parent we should find a way to turn it into a positive reinforcement. I found that way. Maybe you should analyze your daily routine for negative influences and instead of eliminating those influences find a way to make them positive influences. Reading is a good example. Although not considered a negative influence, most children abor reading and view it as a task. However, reading an instructive text about an advanced technique in the childs sport or other area of expertise is a perfect way to break the ice in an attempt to teach them an advanced (basic) method by which to become proficient in an area previously untapped. And then following up this "school session" with some video instruction i.e. Play Station/X-Box and then going to the court (in my example) and working on the technique in question in real time. I suggest to you not to have a dogmatic approach to life and parenting but instead to be open for a new and better idea. Yes, the time signature of music was invented long ago but unique music is still being made many years later. You might be surprised to learn how many D1 prospect QB's use gaming as a tool to learn more about a particular offense...and then put it to use on the Bermuda. HAGD and stay away from those video games.

I will enjoy this time off to get me energized for the month of July. With a month off from the athletes, coaches can retreat, go to camps, and better themselves to prepare the athletes starting July 1. One month does not defy your program people, but after that month no parent should cry, complain, or take their child on vacations. Drives me crazy that a parent is told about dead period in December, but elects to take their child at the end of July. This child will miss alot of learning. There are perks in this new schedule. Good luck to all.

I have a seven year old son and Ill move to another state if these policies stay in effect. If he ewants to be the best I will find a way.

If your son is good enough his goals and your's can be meet under these new guidelines. There is plenty of time for him to be his best. At some point in time genetics will be revealed. Most great athletes are born ,not made.

If your son is good enough his goals and your's can be meet under these new guidelines. There is plenty of time for him to be his best. At some point in time genetics will be revealed. Most great athletes are born ,not made.

Genetics will not be a problem for him. Mother is 6' amd father is 6'5". He will be fine in that area.

Before you know it, that time will be gone. It's a true sign of not really knowing what you are talking about when you lump large groups of people together without actually having facts. What you may have missed is the fact that, in actuality, most coaches spend a great deal of time with athletes who do not have a family life to speak of outside of sports. While you are obviously a great parent, (As a parent I for one get disgusted that I have had to take my kids to practices or workouts), many parents would just as soon have their children just stay out of their hair. Coaches stand in this gap in many situations. Not all coaches do what you are saying. I could just as easily say that you aren't doing your job because you don't want to take your children to workouts. Does their opinion matter? Just wondering.

You may be right in the sense that my post sounded like I was lumping…but I was speaking mostly from the point of view of my personal situation. I don’t think any solution will fit every unique situation, but as Campusatman stated…there are other ways and outlets out there. And to answer Slingmdeep’s question (Does their opinion matter?)…Actually, not only does their opinion matter but their parent’s now also have a stake in the matter. The athletes have the opportunity to choose when and how they workout or improve their skills or not, during the off-season without being punished. I think we should give the kids more credit. With the right nurturing (from the coach) these athletes know what it takes to improve and possibly make it to the next level. It’s unfortunate that every child doesn’t have the leadership of a parent, but there are still avenues and opportunities out there if an athlete wants it. In fact I’m sure there are many examples of this if you look at many of our professional athletes today that came out of that type of situation. I haven’t read the TSSAA ruling in it’s entirety but I’m sure that it allows coaches to still be involved in the off season development of these kids whether it be by open gyms and weight facilities or through camps and clinics. Come on it’s just a few weeks out of the entire year!!!

You are only a kid once…I just think we should give our kids room to be kids and stop imposing our dreams into what WE want and expect out of them. It’s all about priorities for me. When they become adults do you think they will sit back and tell their kids (son, I’m sure glad I went to all my workouts during the off season. It’s made such a big difference in my life as it is today!). Sure winning a State Championship is cool…but in real life what does it really matter. Will it get your son/daughter a better job (I’ve never seen it on an application)? Will they be a better parent if they have a couple of championships under their belt? The answer is NO!!!!!!!!! I don’t know maybe I’m wrong????

Genetics will not be a problem for him. Mother is 6' amd father is 6'5". He will be fine in that area.

I hope he does great,I was just making a statement, not being critical. Height,weight, strength,speed,and skills will be important.Best of Luck. I still think there are plenty of opportunities in Nashville and Tennessee.

I hope he does great,I was just making a statement, not being critical. Height,weight, strength,speed,and skills will be important.Best of Luck. I still think there are plenty of opportunities in Nashville and Tennessee.

He is not who I am worried about he has me , it is the kid from the single family who has no guidance.

If you don't work in this day and time, genetics can't get you anywhere. The average Joe will pass you bye.

I have a seven year old son and Ill move to another state if these policies stay in effect. If he ewants to be the best I will find a way.

This response in itself tells ME that you probably should have skipped a couple of workouts and picked up a book. By the way size is just one small characteristic in which genetics affect an athlete.You also have balance, speed, agility…oh ya intelligence.

Sorry...it was just too easy.