The TSSAA has lost their cotton pickin' minds!

McNine4MVP

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1st,6th , and 7th District board of control seats are up for re-election in Nov. 2007. (check t$$aa website) If Parents,Coaches..etc are upset with the format shoved down your throat;Contact your principal and express your displeasure. If you don't Then be quiet!1

I don't know how many coaches you see on a regular basis, but most of them are the exact opposite of what you are saying. The "outside of school" teams are the ones that put the most emphasis on "their players" being at everything all summer long. We have athletes who miss workouts and practices because their AAU or some other organization tells them that they will not play if they miss. Where is the problem? I don't think that it is in the high school ranks as much as you claim that it is. Please give some evidence if this is the case. I can tell you first hand.

When you say "we", you are talking about your particular situation and maybe some of your coaching friends. And thats great that you use the correct manner of handling a situation. What I am attempting to say is that when you make a rule from a governing body of state-wide sports, the rule has to cover all schools, not just the one's that do things correctly. Some kids might perform better in sports with a little down-time in the summer. I mean what is the goal of sports anyway. Most kids that play sports, or I should say the great majority only play sports in middle and high school and then thats it. So I think that everyone should continue to re-examine their sports ideology constantly to be sure that the sport is being played and practiced for the right reasons. And for the majority of kids, it is to have fun, to compete, and learn the value of being part of a team. I don't think any of the above reasons will suffer that much from a little official time off. Who can really say whether it helps more kids than it hurts. As to the posters that cite that sports is keeping kids from having idle time, etc, I would submit that is not the purpose of sports, just what it has become in many instances. Lastly, it would be hard to convince me that alot of coaches would not have a long memory about a kid that just wanted some time off in the summer maybe for personal reasons. I would not automatically label that child lazy, no good, etc, but some coaches would, hopefully not many. But with official time off, they can do just that, take some time without being looked at as suspect by some coaches. I believe that may be a good thing. The kids that want to practice twenty-four seven, they still can. Even with the official time off, many kids will have to tell a lie or risk being branded as lazy, not dedicated, for even truly using the dead period. Is this the true intent and meaning of playing sports, I just don't think so. Sports seems to have taken on some of the less desirable attributes of the larger society we live in. And that is to keep moving, don't take no time to reflect on the direction you are going. Is that healthy? I bet alot of coaches do take time for their personal needs and no one calls them lazy, not dedicated etc. Why do we act like children don't need the same personal time. What are we really teaching them. Is it what sports was truly intended to teach. If you read the prior posts on this topic and the other thread on this topic, it is pretty obvious that to have some personal time is almost a sin. I simply disagree. I'm not implying at all that you are this way, but many people are and so the rules have to be there, or for some children, maybe just a few, sports would become a horror story left up to some coaches, school administrators, etc. I truly think no matter how small a number that the above affects, we as a group are obligated to not forget the kids that have coaches that you can never work hard enough for.

Bold move by the TSSAA. It used to be travel soccer and football competing here. Now summer baseball rules the summer. If there is an established dead period, will this just mean more summer baseball. Our quaterback from several years back threw his arm out during the summer and was not the same during the season. Let's give the kids a rest.

When you say "we", you are talking about your particular situation and maybe some of your coaching friends. And thats great that you use the correct manner of handling a situation. What I am attempting to say is that when you make a rule from a governing body of state-wide sports, the rule has to cover all schools, not just the one's that do things correctly. Some kids might perform better in sports with a little down-time in the summer. I mean what is the goal of sports anyway. Most kids that play sports, or I should say the great majority only play sports in middle and high school and then thats it. So I think that everyone should continue to re-examine their sports ideology constantly to be sure that the sport is being played and practiced for the right reasons. And for the majority of kids, it is to have fun, to compete, and learn the value of being part of a team. I don't think any of the above reasons will suffer that much from a little official time off. Who can really say whether it helps more kids than it hurts. As to the posters that cite that sports is keeping kids from having idle time, etc, I would submit that is not the purpose of sports, just what it has become in many instances. Lastly, it would be hard to convince me that alot of coaches would not have a long memory about a kid that just wanted some time off in the summer maybe for personal reasons. I would not automatically label that child lazy, no good, etc, but some coaches would, hopefully not many. But with official time off, they can do just that, take some time without being looked at as suspect by some coaches. I believe that may be a good thing. The kids that want to practice twenty-four seven, they still can. Even with the official time off, many kids will have to tell a lie or risk being branded as lazy, not dedicated, for even truly using the dead period. Is this the true intent and meaning of playing sports, I just don't think so. Sports seems to have taken on some of the less desirable attributes of the larger society we live in. And that is to keep moving, don't take no time to reflect on the direction you are going. Is that healthy? I bet alot of coaches do take time for their personal needs and no one calls them lazy, not dedicated etc. Why do we act like children don't need the same personal time. What are we really teaching them. Is it what sports was truly intended to teach. If you read the prior posts on this topic and the other thread on this topic, it is pretty obvious that to have some personal time is almost a sin. I simply disagree. I'm not implying at all that you are this way, but many people are and so the rules have to be there, or for some children, maybe just a few, sports would become a horror story left up to some coaches, school administrators, etc. I truly think no matter how small a number that the above affects, we as a group are obligated to not forget the kids that have coaches that you can never work hard enough for.

I don't disagree that there are coaches who are responsible for this type of "treatment" of players, however, I would say that it is more of a minority than many people on this forum are admitting. In general, we would also like a little time off with our families. I coach all of my own 3 kids' spring sport teams and I would bet that I still that I spend more time with our high school football players on the whole. My point is that our society has made it necessary for us to put in more and more time to be considered "competitive". If you are not winning championships, the coaches are blamed and could lose their jobs. While I don't feel as though I am in this situation presently, I know several coaches who do feel this way. With that being said, our families have to come first and so do the players'. It is definitely a thin line, but I think that more coaches balance it well than do not.

Bold move by the TSSAA. It used to be travel soccer and football competing here. Now summer baseball rules the summer. If there is an established dead period, will this just mean more summer baseball. Our quaterback from several years back threw his arm out during the summer and was not the same during the season. Let's give the kids a rest.

The dead period applies to all sports at the high school level. All of the high school facilities and their coaches are off limits during the dead period for players.