New Class 2A football format could change prep landscapes

owls1987

Do you mean that a wild card team could be seeded higher than say a 1 or 2 team? Nof fair.

I don't see how they could be. They would have to have 3 teams ahead of them in their own region. I wouldn't think they would be ahead of a 1 or 2.

They could be ahead of a 3. They may deserve to be. I would think...as you said...the #4 team in a region would have to travel.

Upon further review...I don't think the quadrants will be totally geographical. We...in region 4 would be paired mostly with region 1. That would be too much travel for early round games. The same thing would happen with the Memphis teams. Location of teams should not influence seeding...though. There could be some 1st round games that involve a lot of travel...when you consider 1 quarter of the state. I am very curious how the quadrants will be determined.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering how many of these potential problems were thought out before the decisions were made.

I don't know. They may have all of the questions already answered. I wish they would put out some guidelines on their website for study.

There are many questions to be answered.

Here is something I threw together from last year's regular season results, based on 8 regions, not 9 regions, so there are three automatics from each region and eight wildcards. I tried to balance records and geography, strength of schedule didn't really go into it but there's a couple of sites with that listed, so it could be more exact. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on in the first round. Barring upsets which would always happen, 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 in the second round.

Quadrant 1:

1-Gatlinburg-Pittman (Gatlinburg) 6-0, 10-0

8--Boyd-Buchanan (Chattanooga) 3-1, 3-7

4--CAK (Knoxville) 4-2, 7-3

5--Tyner (Chattanooga) 3-1, 6-4

2-Alcoa 6-0. 8-2

7--Happy Valley (Elizabethton) 4-2, 4-6

3--Sweetwater 3-3, 7-3

6--South Greene (Greeneville) 5-1, 6-4

Quadrant 2:

1-Loudon 5-1, 8-2

8-Ezell-Harding (Antioch) 3-4, 4-6

4-Smith County (Carthage) 4-1, 8-2

5-York Institute (Jamestown) 3-2, 7-3

2-Westmoreland (Westmoreland) 5-0, 8-2

7-Rockwood 2-4, 5-5

3-CPA (Nashville) 6-1, 8-2

6--Bledsoe County (Pikeville) 2-2, 5-5

Quadrant 3:

1-Goodpasture (Madison) 7-0, 10-0

8--Adamsville 4-6

4-Fairview 5-2, 8-2

5-DCA (Nashville) 4-3, 6-4

2--Lewis County (Hohenwald) 7-1, 9-1

7--Upperman (Baxter) 2-3, 5-5

3-Humboldt 6-1, 8-2

6-Huntingdon 4-3, 5-5

Quadrant 4:

1-Camden 8-0, 9-1

8-Westwood (Memphis) 3-3, 3-7

4-Westview (Martin) 4-3, 7-3

5--Peabody (Trenton) 4-3, 7-3

2--Booker T. Washington (Memphis) 6-0, 9-1

7--Milan 5-2, 5-5

3--Waverly 6-2, 7-3

6--George Carver (Memphis) 5-1, 5-5

I'm trying to get this all straight in my head.

So according to the way you did it, and understand it Indian, since Boyd won the region last year, but had a 3-7 over all record, that puts them behind Tyner and other teams as far as seeding?

I think he's going by end of the season ratings. Tyner was rated ahead of Boyd at that time. That is another factor in the 1-8 seeding. Will a region champ be rated about the runners-up for seeding purposes? The answer is yes they will. All the #1's in a quadrant are seeded 1st.

Antwan,

Thanks for the posting from the TSSAA website.

". . . Once the 32 teams have been selected for the playoffs, the 32 schools will be geographically grouped into four eight-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard to region alignments.Once the four quad brackets are created, the eight teams within each bracket will be seeded from 1 to 8 . . ."

So, the 32 teams will be grouped geographically without regard to region alignments. It will be interesting to see how this will will actually play out. The 1-8 seeding could also be interesting. Head-to-head won't come into play very often. Overall records can be deceiving. Fro example last year, Alcoa was the best 2A team in the state by a wide margin but they lost 2 regular season games to Maryville (4A) and Fulton (3A).

Antwan,

Thanks for the posting from the TSSAA website.

". . . Once the 32 teams have been selected for the playoffs, the 32 schools will be geographically grouped into four eight-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard to region alignments.Once the four quad brackets are created, the eight teams within each bracket will be seeded from 1 to 8 . . ."

So, the 32 teams will be grouped geographically without regard to region alignments. It will be interesting to see how this will will actually play out. The 1-8 seeding could also be interesting. Head-to-head won't come into play very often. Overall records can be deceiving. Fro example last year, Alcoa was the best 2A team in the state by a wide margin but they lost 2 regular season games to Maryville (4A) and Fulton (3A).

That's true and they may not have been a #1 seed in their quadrant. That likely could happen this year. Alcoa still has a very tough schedule. Last year...though...it wouldn't have mattered if Alcoa had been a #8 seed. They would have won the title easily anyway.

Its all starting to become a little more clear to me now on how this will work. I'm kind of excited to see how it plays out at the end of the regular season. I hope we can some how keep our game going in the play offs with Smith Co. though. But its not guaranteed anymore.

If we both keep winning it is. It will be interesting to see how all of this works. I'm kind of excited too. At least it's something that could work out.

It is a big change.

I think this is a good idea. The fact that a team has to win more than just 2 region games to get in is great. So then the 6-4 team from region 5 will egt in over the 1-9 team from region 6 (THEORETICALLY). I think the better record deserves the nod. In most cases that is.

I don't see how they could be. They would have to have 3 teams ahead of them in their own region. I wouldn't think they would be ahead of a 1 or 2.

They could be ahead of a 3. They may deserve to be. I would think...as you said...the #4 team in a region would have to travel.

Upon further review...I don't think the quadrants will be totally geographical. We...in region 4 would be paired mostly with region 1. That would be too much travel for early round games. The same thing would happen with the Memphis teams. Location of teams should not influence seeding...though. There could be some 1st round games that involve a lot of travel...when you consider 1 quarter of the state. I am very curious how the quadrants will be determined.

I could see how a wildcard from reg 2 could and should easily be rated above a #2 seed out of reg. 1!

Check into how many games region 1 has won in the last few years in the play-offs over reg. 2, and you will see what I mean.