Jefferson County Football (Fall Practice thread)

DZbettin

Long is the perfect QB for running the veer IMO, he's mobile, and has a strong arm. Like the last few years awith Jeff County QB's accuracy and decision making are the question marks. Short of injury I see no reason why Long shouldn`t start at QB.

Long at times hasn't looked comfortable in the pocket, but of course he never has been a starter and there has rarely been a pocket to work with. The O-Line and QB positions have the most responsibilities in the veer, so they have to get better.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long is the perfect QB for running the veer IMO, he's mobile, and has a strong arm. Like the last few years awith Jeff County QB's accuracy and decision making are the question marks. Short of injury I see no reason why Long shouldn`t start at QB.

Im not saying that long stinks just stating Mcfall was a premire player in the big east last year, who is the other running back in the split back formation, i hear the offense line is strungling, but thats a giving on the first scrimage. I wish the patriots well this season

Can DZ or anybody on here do me a favor and post the complete schedule for the Varsity. I saw the freshman schedule, but I would like to have the varsity. Oh, and I agree......Long will be fine at QB. The veer does usually call for your best athlete at QB, but having Mcfall change positions is just too dangerous to take a chance on not getting his full potential and big gain playmaking. He is a tailback, and a good one at that. With Long running the option and having Mcfall, Brooks, Allen, etc...etc... to give to, they have a chance to be solid on Offense. It will take some time, but once the Veer clicks, and they learn it, watch out because they will take the ball right down your throat. GO PATS!!!!

Long at times hasn't looked comfortable in the pocket, but of course he never has been a starter and there has rarely been a pocket to work with. The O-Line and QB positions have the most responsibilities in the veer, so they have to get better.

Part of the problem is that the veer is not designed to be thrown from a pocket - it is a rollout passing attack and quick hitting slants. Very few pass plays are designed to be thrown from the pocket in this offense. They will get better, both the offensive line and all the backs, not just the QB. It takes a lot of repetitions to get confortable running the veer (especially if you are truly reading the tackles and ends. ) The only problem is they have to get better in a hurry and the defense has to carry us until the offense starts to click. I think it will click - but will take some time and more discipline.

It takes a lot of repetitions to get confortable running the veer (especially if you are truly reading the tackles and ends. ) The only problem is they have to get better in a hurry and the defense has to carry us until the offense starts to click. I think it will click - but will take some time and more discipline.

I agree, it does take some time and we don't have much of it left. After the past 2 yrs, everyone is looking for some success. The potential is there.....I just hope our coaching staff is up to the challenge.

Part of the problem is that the veer is not designed to be thrown from a pocket - it is a rollout passing attack and quick hitting slants. Very few pass plays are designed to be thrown from the pocket in this offense. They will get better, both the offensive line and all the backs, not just the QB. It takes a lot of repetitions to get confortable running the veer (especially if you are truly reading the tackles and ends. ) The only problem is they have to get better in a hurry and the defense has to carry us until the offense starts to click. I think it will click - but will take some time and more discipline.

Do you think the pats will stick to the veer if its not successful at first?

Who is going to be in the secoundary this year?