Jefferson County Football (Fall Practice thread)

DZbettin

Couple of thoughts

Great to see so many kids on those sidelines, both freshman and varsity.

O-Line I saw last night was nothing like what was described from the 1st scrimmage, granted Central didn`t have the biggest front, but even so the o-line looked VERY GOOD.

I`m not sure why with all the size that was out there but the d-line looked awful at times. There were some gaping holes opened up that shouldn`t have been, good thing the LB play was so good.

Which brings me to this point, the front 7 laid some lumbar all night, 1st and 2nd team. Yeary played like a madman and it was a great thing to see.

I`ve said it before, I`ll say it again. #31David Simms I finally looked up his name) NEEDS MORE CARRIES. 1st play I saw him get the ball he exploded through the hole and scored. I could care less what his 40 time is, or what he benches/squats, the kid can flat out run the football.

Very nice to see Tyler Stepp fight through pass interference and go get a ball for a TD, hope to see a lot more of that as the season goes on.

Backup QB throws a very nice ball, looks like we're in good hands for the future in the QB department.

I would have liked to see us attack down the field more because Central was loading the box and giving us the outside pass, but we were running so well I guess I understand. Very nice to once again see a Patriot offense march down the field with ease and score like they did the 1st series.

I know #5 got a got a good chewing for what would have been a personal foul, BUT he was defending a teammate and even though the coaches wouldn`t do it, good job. Pats as a whole looked a bit testy last night, good to see the pride is coming back

Overall I was impressed with how the team looks at this point, it was just a scrimmage but from the reports of the 1st scrimmage the team improved drastically. Props to Coach Anderson and the other coaches for that. I believe Farragut is next, that is usually a game type scrimmage, so we should really see where we stand at this point in the year after that scrimmage.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really hard to put a score or winner in any scrimmage especially this one. Why was it played on the small practice field, it was only about 50 yds long and didnt look nearly wide enough. If you were counting scores it was 2-2 both first teams scored once as did the second teams. Jeff County seemed to be working hard on their running game and seemed to struggle at times early, their first team scored after about a 40 yd pass near the goal line then 2 plays later ran the ball in for a TD. Centrals ran the ball consistently at times and at times the blocking seemed to breakdown. CHS also scored on a long run. The good for Central is alot of younger kids played. The starting QB played about 7 plays in the first series then sat out because of sickness. WR and LB Cortland Styles wasnt dressed do to injury. The injured player was Will McMillan younger brother of the QB.

Central really did not show much of their traditional offense as they were working on the new running package which still needs alot of work. I think this was a good scrimmage from both sides as both teams were working to get better and improve rather than going with strengths and tryin to "win" a scrimmage. On a positive for Jeff County their kids seem to have a better and more agressive attitude and played hard, I definitely saw improvement over the last couple of years. Their kids seem to believe in the Coaches and that goes a long way toward success, in fact once they get the veer offense down this Knox Central fan thinks the Pats will have a very competitive team.

It is really hard to put a score or winner in any scrimmage especially this one. Why was it played on the small practice field, it was only about 50 yds long and didnt look nearly wide enough. If you were counting scores it was 2-2 both first teams scored once as did the second teams. Jeff County seemed to be working hard on their running game and seemed to struggle at times early, their first team scored after about a 40 yd pass near the goal line then 2 plays later ran the ball in for a TD. Centrals ran the ball consistently at times and at times the blocking seemed to breakdown. CHS also scored on a long run. The good for Central is alot of younger kids played. The starting QB played about 7 plays in the first series then sat out because of sickness. WR and LB Cortland Styles wasnt dressed do to injury. The injured player was Will McMillan younger brother of the QB.

Central really did not show much of their traditional offense as they were working on the new running package which still needs alot of work. I think this was a good scrimmage from both sides as both teams were working to get better and improve rather than going with strengths and tryin to "win" a scrimmage. On a positive for Jeff County their kids seem to have a better and more agressive attitude and played hard, I definitely saw improvement over the last couple of years. Their kids seem to believe in the Coaches and that goes a long way toward success, in fact once they get the veer offense down this Knox Central fan thinks the Pats will have a very competitive team.

I must admit I haven`t seen a lot of Knox Central other than our scrimmages with them, but is that spread offense a norm? I don`t remember seeing much of it before or back in the Cassen Jackson days.

Both teams scored twice

Jefferson County's first series went like this (take note that yardage is roughly due to the nature of field and officiating)

1 - Long incomplete pass

2 - Brooks 8 yard run

3 - McFall 7 yard run

4 - Brooks 5 yard run

5 - McFall 6 yard run

6 - fumble snap

7 - Long pass to Stepp, outjumped two defenders roughly 25-30 yards

8 - McFall 7 yard run

9 - Long 1 yard run Touchdown

10 - Brooks 7 yard run

I guess the most obvious thing is that every run went for 5+ yard except for the TD, Against Knox West Jefferson County probably didnt have but a handful of runs that long, and numerous that went for negative yards.

Central also scored on the 9th play of its first offensive series. Jefferson County's second series was a mix of first team and second team players. Central failed to score on its second drive, after moving down around the 10-15 yard line. Central scored on its third series with backups, while Jefferson County failed to score with its backups.

Clark McMillan went out after the sixth play, throwing up, but returned on the 9th and threw for a touchdown.

When the first teamers came back in, it went

1 - Brooks +6

2 - Long +4

3 - Brooks +18 fumble (start back at 45)

4 - McFall -3

5 - Long +5

6 - Brooks +16

7 - Brooks +18

8 - McFall halfback pass intercepted in the end zone

9 - McFall +7

10 - McFall +3

Wyl McMillan was hurt on the final play and the scrimmage was called

Jefferson County's next scrimmage will be on Thursday, August 16 against Farragut. The Patriots will play Cherokee in the third quarter of the IMAC Jamboree, August 17 at Burke-Toney Stadium.

Jefferson County

2007 Schedule/Results

8-24 Greeneville 7:30 p.m.

8-31 @ Morristown West 7:30 p.m.

9-7 @ Campbell County 7:30 p.m.

9-14 Morristown East 7:30 p.m.

9-21 Kingsport D-B 7:30 p.m.

9-28 @ Cocke County 7:30 p.m.

10-5 Karns 7:30 p.m.

10-12 @ Science Hill 7:30 p.m.

10-19 @ Sevier County 7:30 p.m.

11-2 Bearden 7:30 p.m.

IMO those Jeff County numbers are a bit generous, I am certain the Central D had more than a few minus yardage plays, perhaps the film will tell for sure. The third team QB Corry Holbert did play the majority of the scrimmage after Mcmillan went out. Styles is the second team QB as well as WR and LB and he also did not play.

IMO those Jeff County numbers are a bit generous, I am certain the Central D had more than a few minus yardage plays, perhaps the film will tell for sure. The third team QB Corry Holbert did play the majority of the scrimmage after Mcmillan went out. Styles is the second team QB as well as WR and LB and he also did not play.

I must admit I don`t remember many negative yardage plays for Jeff County, but like you said the film doesn`t lie. I know on the 1st drive other than the fumbled snap it didn`t look like Jeff County lost any yards.

I think the ones for the first drive are pretty accurate, I know every run went for positive yards - of course dz didnt list the second and third possessions so that may have been what you are thing of. I do know i overheard one of the central defensive coaches saying "thats the first thing weve done right all night" and that was late in the scrimmage.

either way, like you said, the score and stuff doesnt matter, its all about improving and attitude. hopefully the Patriots wont go backward at the farragut scrimmage.

Couple of thoughts

Great to see so many kids on those sidelines, both freshman and varsity.

Actually, I would say there are only 10 or so more than last year. I counted about 55 varsity players, counting those not in pads. Last year I think JC started with 40-45. I would say the freshman numbers were about the same, around 30 or so