fastest kid in the state.

bigstick#1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You show me a kid that can run a 3.7 then i'll believe it.....Theres no one in the world that fast..

Sub 4.4 times are pure hogwash. And most that are listed at 4.4 turn out electronically timed times at the combines of 4.6 - 4.7 at best. Here is an article about 40 times. If you don't want to read the whole article here are a couple of interesting sections

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

And about hand timed 40s

Grizzled track coaches love to say that the "clock doesn't lie." Well, it does in football.

Say someone clocks a hand-timed 4.35 in an NFL workout.

The accepted standard to convert a hand-timed event to its automatically timed equivalent is to round up to the nearest tenth of a second -- in this case 4.4 -- and add .24 seconds. Now you're at 4.64.

Most football 40s don't go on a starter's pistol but on an athlete's motion. The average reaction time among elite sprinters (from the gun to the moment they exert pressure on the starting block's electronic pads) is about .15 seconds; for a football player with little track experience it probably would be closer to .2. Add that in, and you have 4.84.

Now say it's a breezy day and you're running with a tailwind. Say it's 10 mph. Accepted track tables say that would provide a .07-second advantage over 40 yards. Add it in, and your 4.35 is suddenly a 4.91.

There's no shame in running a 4.9-second 40, of course. World-class sprinters get a bad start or get a cold day, and they go through 40 yards in the high 4s, too.

I was wondering how fast Scruggs was. Do you have a 40 for him?

Also, I think his quickness is his best asset, not his all out speed. He has a fast first step and moves well laterally.

You know im not exactly sure what it is right now, but last I heard he had a high 4.4 -low 4.5 laser timed