Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

I saw some of practice yesterday. Dayton and Turner were both dressed and going in contact drills. I'm glad they are healthy. There was a good number of guys not dressed. I don't know who all of them were, but I noticed some 1st and 2nd teamers were not dressed. I'm glad this is a bye week.

Does anyone know who will start at FB at AC tomorrow night?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FairPlay -

I believe JR Daniel Hodge will start in R. Kelley's spot at FB. Daniel is a great looking athlete - goes about 5'10 and around 195 lbs. or more. He has the potential to be great - showed flashes as a Freshman. However, because he started as a Soph. at LB on the varsity last year, he didn't get to play any JV games and had no carries on JV or Varsity. Right now he is a little rusty because of this, but he is one of the hardest working players on the team. I expect he will do a fine job.

Also, look to see SR Ethan Gunter move to this spot. Ethan goes about 5'8/175 lbs. or so. I really like this kid, he shows a lot of heart and probably should be on the field somewhere. This gives him an oppurtunity to step-up and show what he can do. Ethan is a gamer and I think he will do good also.

Finally, SOPH Jared Burton is fine looking player(5'10 about 200 lbs). As he gets bigger and stronger he might have to help out some. Jared is a three sport star -football, basketball, and baseball. He has a bright future ahead of him.

That being said, NO ONE can replace Reece!!! Check any of my previous posts and I have been saying he has looked great!! Tough loss for the improving RED Devils. I am as concerned about who will replace him on defense. Now we have two of our front four on defense out. Everything I hear is that B. Hughes is doubtful for the season opener with SC. These two were our leaders up front. Young guys will have to step up quickly.

Can anyone give me some info. on the 2007 AC Mavs?? I know Mr. Coleman is a stud, but what about the others? Is Zeke Rogers still playing? Strong and big lineman (Aka normal Coach Kerr team?) How is their team speed? Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note> I expect Halls to struggle with the kicking game. Look for one or more cheap scores for AC. Let's hope the Red Devils continue on their improving ways. Go Halls!!

I look for Halls to be 7-3 this year with the number 3 seed in playoffs. Losses to Maryville, West and either Bearden or Sevier County. That's right I have them beating Central this year on Central's home field.

I like your swagger, rdf, but that's mighty bold. We've got some holes to fill. I'll just say I hope you're right.

Very odd scrimmage tonight.

1) The referees only worked for an hour and a half and then left. (basically 3 quarters)

2) It was game type scrimmage but the first quarter was over after 2 series for Halls (both 3 plays and out) and one 6 or 7 play drive for AC for a TD. (seemed very quick)

3) The oddest thing was the change of momentum from one half to another. AC could do no wrong in the first half and Halls was a no show in the first half. (AC 21 Halls 0) The third quarter was dedicated to the 2nd stringers or JV. Halls could do no wrong, scoring every time they touched the ball and AC couldn't get a positive yardage play. (Halls 14 AC 0) The fourth quarter saw the number 1's come back in. Halls scored on both drives in this quarter and AC punted in both of its drives. (Halls 13 AC 0) Coach J. could be heard begging for one more series and a chance to tie the score but Kerr must have become concerned about getting his players in bed and ended the scrimmage after AC gave up the ball.

AC showed a good passing game and they were very physical. I look for them to have a pretty good year.

If you ignore the first half, Halls looked great. A few breakdowns but not bad. I don't think Halls had any turnovers tonight, and I don't remember any penalties. #41 looked to be the best choice at FB tonight. (IMO)

If you include the first half, Halls looks like a talented but young team that will show some inconsistency while having flashes of greatness. That usually means they may lose some they shouldn't and then surprise you by winning when you don't expect them to. That should make for an interesting season.

Ruse? -

You are too kind! "Struggle"? Try taken to the woodshed and spanked, butt kicked, embarrassed, or just plain old whipped in every facet of the game. Check my earlier posts and you will find I don't like to focus on the negative - but not much good to find about tonight. However, I'll try:

Final Score:

1st Teamers - AC 21, Halls 14

2nd Teamers - Halls 14, AC 0

- I expected we would miss R. Kelley - he has been the heart and soul of this team. Not many true leaders have stepped up yet, but he was one. He played hard and well. First half Halls had no identity - offense or defense. I think I counted about 18 plays in the first half - 7 rushing for about 15 yards and 2-11 passing for about 25 yards. (Not sure - someone could correct me) Point is, one carry by the fullback (Gunter) the entire 1st half. BIG CHANGE from the previous scrimmages.

- On defense, at least there weren't as many missed tackles (not as many made tackles either)

- Glad we got to do this one!!! Now we realize Reece is gone and we must go on.

If you didn't stay and see the starters come back in, you missed the only positive plays for the Red Devils:

- Two drives about 65-70 yards for TDs

- Two defensive stands, only one or two first downs by AC

- It look like the teams changed after JVs - complete turn around. Now lets get this behind us and try to get better. At least we ended on a positive note. I still think we can have a good year. Players just need to practice hard and play hard - not worry about things they can't control.

Two quick questions/comments:

1) I think Ethan Gunter came on strong at AC as the replacement to R. Kelley at FB. I'm glad to see him on the field. I believe he has earned a spot as a starter (don't calim to be a coach or think I should be). I hope/expect he will do well in Kelley's absence. That said, did the Hodge boy even get ONE carry?? I thought he was the number two behind R. Kelley?? I have seen a couple of practices and this kid looks really good running the ball. The scout team can't tackle him when I've watched, but yet he continues to not get any carries in scrimmages. (Not sure how much doing well in practice translates into chances in scrimmages - again, I don't claim to know more than the coaches) Now, don't get me wrong - I'm glad Gunter came on strong at the end of the scrimmage. We needed someone, and I think it is Gunters turn (as a hard working senior - also, Hodge plays at LB and could use some rest). I'm just curious, HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED how well Hodge runs in practice???

2) What happens to this team when McGill gets hurt on defense? I know some young guy's are getting a look - but WOW - what a big dropoff. Hope these guys grow up or it will not be good (#31 Hillard?? looks like he might be a player though - makes good decisions when he is out there)

I couldn't believe what I saw last night. Humble beginnings on offense and defense to start the game. Played our boring run twice then pass on third down type offense. Netting no first downs and looked begging the question is this how its going to be this year? Defense was like butter the loss of Kelley solidifing the middle was apparent. AC ran and passed with little trouble and quickly scored 21 points. I thought wow were did this powerhouse come from. Then I find out a big reshuffle in their coaching staff has brought in two new coaches that have opened up their offense and open it up they did. I was very impressed and they definetly built on the Oak Ridge jamboree shocker.

I then go home watch MyVLT prep high school show and they are bold enough to say AC are going to give Fulton a run for their money this year. So high hopes for AC this year and its seems they have turned the program around from last year.

Well back to Halls both McGill & Gibson look like excellent running backs and were most of the offense when the second team pounded their game against the AC second teamers. The OL looked good and the defense played solid. Burton had some good runs from scrimmage as well. I think 14-0 was the score and they didn't seem to break a sweat doing it.

Then the first team comes back in and I thought I hope we can build on the second teams momentum. I was shocked again the first team comes out and I couldn't believe they were the same team that played the first of the game. We actually mixed it up, passed on first down and moved the ball in two long drives and converted a few third downs even a pass in the end zone for a touchdown. Turner finished strong completing most of the opportunities he had when given the second chance.

So who is Halls this year? I hope its the team we saw at the end of this scrimmage. They looked pretty darn good running and passing. I thought Ethan Gunner played well and gave us a lift in the inside running game. Turner will be a good one just needs a little more confidence and experience with his wideouts. Kitts looked a lot better running the ball and had some breakaway runs late in the scrimmage. Dayton when he got his touches looked to be a threat again. Hopefully his Quad injury is behind him. OL responded with excellent protection and opened up some big holes late. The focus will be on the OL this year how well they do is how well our offense does. Can't remember us fumbling or throwing a Int. So we kept hold of the ball. When is Brent Hughes coming back? Saw him with the boot on again any problems?

I have to say the coaching staff made adjustments and played to our strengths after coming back from the break. Against a tough AC defense our offense picked it up and looked awesome. I hope we keep building on this.

Very odd scrimmage tonight.

If you include the first half, Halls looks like a talented but young team that will show some inconsistency while having flashes of greatness. That usually means they may lose some they shouldn't and then surprise you by winning when you don't expect them to. That should make for an interesting season.

Exactly how I saw it Fairplay. No doubt they have talent but can they be consistent.