Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

So what would you call the Red Devils? Do you think anyone fears Halls? The only success they have had is in Baseball the past several years. This is the first year I feel that Halls has a good chance to be in the top 3 of region 3-4A in a long time. redandblack63 you have been in Halls way to long. You might want to venture out and buy a new set of Sun Glasses those are starting to turn bright red.

I normally agree with the things you say, but on this you are blinded by the red tint from the past.

I also questioned the Bulldogs until I saw for myself. I did not get the chance to see them in the Jamboree, but I didn't have to. I had seen them prior to that in a couple of scrimmages.

Good luck to the Red Devils.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right Sneaky we should go in with the frame of mind anyone on any given day is beatable or there is no use even playing.

What I've seen from last season and the hype leading up to this year. Bearden is a very solid football team with loads of experience. Perhaps not in the Maryville vain but should be a whole lot better than the Karns team we faced last year. So with that in mind I still cling to a 6 and 4 season. We should get a whole lot better as the season unfolds. A good non-conference schedule with the likes of Sevier Co and Bearden will make us battle tested for our regular foes and hopefully a playoff birth.

Sorry Gun about the name mispelled. Ethan had a good scrimmage last night

So what would you call the Red Devils? Do you think anyone fears Halls? The only success they have had is in Baseball the past several years. This is the first year I feel that Halls has a good chance to be in the top 3 of region 3-4A in a long time. redandblack63 you have been in Halls way to long. You might want to venture out and buy a new set of Sun Glasses those are starting to turn bright red.

I normally agree with the things you say, but on this you are blinded by the red tint from the past.

I also questioned the Bulldogs until I saw for myself. I did not get the chance to see them in the Jamboree, but I didn't have to. I had seen them prior to that in a couple of scrimmages.

Good luck to the Red Devils.

In all fairness to Red & Black he isn't a Halls guy Leonard but a Bobcat. But counter to that Bearden looked good against Central last year so I follow your dialogue. But I hope Halls is a mystery team this year and everyone takes us lightly. Underdog or overlooked would be a asset this year.

Well after week 0 Halls looks to be in good shape and didnt even play a game.

Central lost and seemed to lack the explosive offense (after the first quarter)

West allowed over 200 rushing yards, and seemed to be lost w/o ryan. I think Caleb could get in Ryans head early.

SC couldnt score on a team that we a least scored on w/o our starting QB

Lenoir City lost big time to a team we beat last year.

The only negative from this week was that Bearden dominated Carter, which we only beat by a TD in our scrimmage with them.

Not predicting any upsets yet, but our chances are becoming better. Hopefully SC will still be down on themselves coming into the game next week and we can make a statement.

Here is an article that was posted in a different topic, but I thought it would be good for Halls parents and supporters to see because Halls has an excellent coach and a developing program and I believe not enough football players are taking advantage of the benefits that wrestlers get.

I know that I am biased and this will probably be my only plug for the wrestling program, but I thought this would be a good way for people to see how they can improve during the off-season.

THIS IS A GREAT ARTICLE FROM OHIO STATE ON HOW TO BECOME A BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Ohio State football: Work on mat can be edge on line

Buckeyes past, present excelled as wrestlers, too

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:41 AM

By Ken Gordon

Each year, Ohio State's co-defensive coordinator evaluates dozens, maybe hundreds of high school football players while recruiting.

They're all big, all fast, all strong.

But tell Fickell a kid is a standout wrestler, and he'll get a gleam in his eye. Now he's interested.

"We talk about competitiveness, and I don't think there's a better sport to look at someone's competitiveness than wrestling," Fickell said. "You can tell (with wrestlers), it's something that's one-on-one competitive, and that's what we're trying to look for.

"You can't define it. You don't know what someone has got inside their chest and their heart, but if you know they've been one on one and they've got that competitive nature … "

Fickell knows. He was a three-time state champion wrestler at DeSales, and as a defensive lineman at Ohio State he set a school record for consecutive starts (50).

Since then, several Buckeyes have gone from being high school wrestling stars to successful football careers, including offensive lineman Alex Stepanovich and defensive tackle Tim Anderson, each now in the NFL.

This season, defensive tackle Dexter Larimore appears ready to uphold that tradition.

He was the nation's top-ranked heavyweight wrestler two years ago at Merrillville (Ind.) High School. Just a redshirt freshman, Larimore had a stellar spring and will see extensive playing time this fall.

Technique has a lot to do with what makes wrestlers successful linemen. They are accustomed to being tied up, pretzel-like, with an opponent.

"I know a little bit more about leverage than some defensive linemen do," Larimore said, "so it helps that I can just keep a little bit lower center of gravity. I just try and work guys into kind of backwards positions for them, but it's kind of natural for me."

Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Jim Bollman said he notices wrestlers tend to be adept at getting their hands in proper position, which is a key to blocking or defeating a block.

"The quickness and strength of their hands inside is becoming a much bigger part of the football game nowadays," Bollman said. "And I think that (wrestlers) have a little bit of a head start."

But as Fickell said, it's the intangible desire that translates well to football. Wrestlers famously have a warrior mentality. Injuries and fatigue are no excuse.

"When you're a wrestler, you have to put a lot on yourself if you want to be good," Stepanovich said. "It teaches you that every day in wrestling you're not going to feel good. You're going to have bumps and bruises. You've got to be able to grind it out. I think that helps in football."

Larimore said he thinks wrestling makes him better equipped to handle adversity, such as the heat and humidity the Buckeyes practiced in last week.

"Wrestling is so hard and just so physically taxing on your body, that I get out there (for football practice) and a lot of guys will mentally break: 'It's hot,' and I just keep working and trying to get better," he said.

"I just can basically push myself to a point where I physically can't go anymore. I think wrestling instills that mentality."

Another wrestler is in the Ohio State pipeline. Defensive tackle Garrett Goebel of Lombard, Ill., recently orally committed to the 2008 recruiting class. He won his state's heavyweight title in the spring.

"My nasty attitude comes from wrestling," Goebel told the Chicago Sun Times. "You can't be a nice guy and be an accomplished wrestler. You have to want to stick a guy's nose into the mat.

"In football, I want to hurt the other guy. I want to knock him down all the time."

He sounds like Fickell's type.

Dispatch reporter Bill Rabinowitz contributed to this story.

kgordon@dispatch.com

you watch those boys that spent time on the mat and see that they do not give up...they know what is to fight to the last minuite..rather it is Leonard,Gunter ,Pixley, Boldon,Laddish or any of the wrestlers...I would like to see more of the football team wrestle also...

With that being said (about wrestling), has Halls not had a pretty good wrestling program for years? I guess it all goes back to the saying (of what recruiters are looking for), you can't make players much bigger or faster. The fact that wrestlers become better players 90% of the time is not a factor, just size and speed. Example: the Powell players that signed D-1 scholarships the last couple of years. How many of those guys were really dominating in the games you saw them play? I saw most of them play 10-15 games over a 3 year period. Once again Size and Speed that is what they are looking for.