Sullivan South vs. Science Hill

Did the Rebels scrimmage Happy Valley Friday? If so, and this is not a knock against Happy Valley in the slightest, I wish the coaching staff would schedule some scrimmages against some tougher teams out of Region 3. I admire D-B for scrimmaging teams from Knoxville and Maryville, that can only make them better. Anyway off my soap box now.

South did scrimmage Happy Valley and won handily. I think this clearly is establishing the Rebels as a force to be reckoned with in AA football.

If South is torched by SH in the first quarter, remember this weak scrimmage schedule.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be a competitive game regardless who wins. But I have to give South a slight edge since they are playing at home. But one advantage that the Hill has is a new coach and that no one knows what to expect from him. This one could be very interesting. I'm obviously not a fan of either team but this would probably be a fun game to watch.

South will be the better coached team. Coach Carter does an excellent job. And after watching the South vs. Tennessee High Game last year (coming out in the old T formation) no one knows what he will do either.

South will be the better coached team. Coach Carter does an excellent job. And after watching the South vs. Tennessee High Game last year (coming out in the old T formation) no one knows what he will do either.

That's an absolute laugher to say that South will be the better coached team. I don't know of any state championships that he posses. Not saying that Carter isn't a good coach but let's see what Coach Smith brings to the table before you start making assumptions. I believe that you see good coaching when the talent isn't there and South has had a run of good athletes at a time when the area has been ripe to exploit. This is a new season with new players. I believe that the staff at Science Hill is top notched but has been held back in the past but a dictatorship. I believe that the players believe that their postition coaches are the best there is and will finally have input to what goes on and that's a big change from the past. I'm curious to see which team is able to carry out in game adjustments, that will tell us how good of a coach either is.

That's an absolute laugher to say that South will be the better coached team. I don't know of any state championships that he posses. Not saying that Carter isn't a good coach but let's see what Coach Smith brings to the table before you start making assumptions. I believe that you see good coaching when the talent isn't there and South has had a run of good athletes at a time when the area has been ripe to exploit. This is a new season with new players. I believe that the staff at Science Hill is top notched but has been held back in the past but a dictatorship. I believe that the players believe that their postition coaches are the best there is and will finally have input to what goes on and that's a big change from the past. I'm curious to see which team is able to carry out in game adjustments, that will tell us how good of a coach either is.

Thanks for your reply. Glad I brought you humor.

If Carter had 6 division one athletes I would almost bet my house that he would have also won the single A state championship.

He darn near won the AAA baseball state championship with one. This guy is a leader.

After watching Science Hill yesterday I think Smith got that gold ball because Jimmy and Joe's and not so much X's and O's

but that is my opinion, of course.

Good luck to your Toppers and I might be proven wrong but time will tell.

I fully well intended to remain mum for another 11 days but I must bring everyone back down to Earth. First off...parents of premier athletes must remain anonymous...at least until trumps are broken. Glee (I think I have the right screen name) in '06 is a good example of this...and he had much to say about his sons predicament in the school he was in for his (heartbroken) senior year...but only after his son was discovered. Still never to take his sons stage. The boy had a ton of heart. I learned this last year...the hard way. They are learning to be men. You must let them. For us...we have a jaded view of it all. We think we are great! Those of us that can honestly take a look from an outsiders view may see reality. I lambasted Stacy for scrimmaging weaker 2A teams. Couldn't understand why. Yes, Pitman demanded respect for their purported toughness in their own right. I scoffed. And Happy Valley...give me a break. But I will tell you, I have viewed THS, DB, SHHS, MoEast in addition to my own SSHS, and I must say I found some realities. DB is not the clam shell everyone thinks. THS is to be reconed with. SHHS needs a QB and MoEast is not last years MoEast. Now before you all sign in and get nervous hear me out...Gatlinburg Pittman would have slapped all of you a time or two. Am I taking up for them? Of course not. I was the first on here to put them in their place. However, after watching everyone else I have concluded a couple of things. A scrimmage is not a game. Not even a hint. Against Pitman and HV we worked on timing...successfully. They gave us some face but all in all we were allowed to cook the dish without burning the pot. DB seemed to have the same outcome. THS is fired up but a bit lame. SHHS and MoEast looked amenic. Will this carry over into the season? Of course not. Friday Nite Lights is an attitude that brings with it abilities untold. Preseason means some things but not anything to get nervous about. DB was crying we're out of gas. THS (Cap) was screaming look out here we come. SHHS allready took the Gold Ball home and MoEast has already beat West and everybody else was a joke. And I was telling you we had more talent than all of you put together. Calm down. It's not going to be the way it seems. From what I've seen...we're all about even. In this last week we will all "put it together". We all have good coaches. We all have a few weapons. We all have some secrets. And...we all have some problems. This game is mental. And you know this. It's a mans game. 4.5, 4.6...who gives a cramp. It's a David & Goliath mentality. Better say the right words...cause if you don't the fire won't get lit. Somebody's gonna get surprised. Somebody will emerge. One things for sure...It's going to be some good football! Rebel Nation.

I fully well intended to remain mum for another 11 days but I must bring everyone back down to Earth. First off...parents of premier athletes must remain anonymous...at least until trumps are broken. Glee (I think I have the right screen name) in '06 is a good example of this...and he had much to say about his sons predicament in the school he was in for his (heartbroken) senior year...but only after his son was discovered. Still never to take his sons stage. The boy had a ton of heart. I learned this last year...the hard way. They are learning to be men. You must let them. For us...we have a jaded view of it all. We think we are great! Those of us that can honestly take a look from an outsiders view may see reality. I lambasted Stacy for scrimmaging weaker 2A teams. Couldn't understand why. Yes, Pitman demanded respect for their purported toughness in their own right. I scoffed. And Happy Valley...give me a break. But I will tell you, I have viewed THS, DB, SHHS, MoEast in addition to my own SSHS, and I must say I found some realities. DB is not the clam shell everyone thinks. THS is to be reconed with. SHHS needs a QB and MoEast is not last years MoEast. Now before you all sign in and get nervous hear me out...Gatlinburg Pittman would have slapped all of you a time or two. Am I taking up for them? Of course not. I was the first on here to put them in their place. However, after watching everyone else I have concluded a couple of things. A scrimmage is not a game. Not even a hint. Against Pitman and HV we worked on timing...successfully. They gave us some face but all in all we were allowed to cook the dish without burning the pot. DB seemed to have the same outcome. THS is fired up but a bit lame. SHHS and MoEast looked amenic. Will this carry over into the season? Of course not. Friday Nite Lights is an attitude that brings with it abilities untold. Preseason means some things but not anything to get nervous about. DB was crying we're out of gas. THS (Cap) was screaming look out here we come. SHHS allready took the Gold Ball home and MoEast has already beat West and everybody else was a joke. And I was telling you we had more talent than all of you put together. Calm down. It's not going to be the way it seems. From what I've seen...we're all about even. In this last week we will all "put it together". We all have good coaches. We all have a few weapons. We all have some secrets. And...we all have some problems. This game is mental. And you know this. It's a mans game. 4.5, 4.6...who gives a cramp. It's a David & Goliath mentality. Better say the right words...cause if you don't the fire won't get lit. Somebody's gonna get surprised. Somebody will emerge. One things for sure...It's going to be some good football! Rebel Nation.

Good post compusatman, as usual pretty good commentary!

But, wait a minute . . . I think we have a pretty good QB! You'll see, we'll be working TOGETHER to get-r-done.

In football it's never as bad as it seems or as good as you expect. I'm not sure that anyone that post with integrity fromt the Science Hil camp has brought home a Gold Ball yet but our expectations are high as is any fan of a team that has talent on the roster. I personally haven't posted my concerns for various reason but most notably that most people that know me, the kids, now who I am away from Coach T and also believe that those shortcomings can be overcame. I thought the SHHS-ME scrimmage was a good measuring stick to what needs to be addressed heading into the season for both teams. I think the team will get more benefits from scrimagging Austin-East and Me than scrimagging against teams that are nowhere near the competition level just for the sake of looking good and blowing another team off the field. False confidence comes in many forms and I think that most football knowledgeable fans at SHHS are starting to come inline with what I think realistice expectations are for this team. This team is capable of winning every game on this schedule once, to paraphrase a lurker, ALL individuals of the team put aside their egos for the TEAM. I don't get paid to coach but I have my opnions and I'll let them be known when I don't think that they are harmful to the team or my son. If your basing your assesement of what to expect August 23rd on what you saw friday, that makes me giddy. I'm basing mine on the talent I know that SHHS has and the coaching talents that I believe that we have in place. In case your wondering what my expectations are.....to be playing for a home playoff spot the last week of the season and hopefully a confrence championship at stake.

Compusatman, which scrimmages did you see? Practices? I haven't seen DB at all this year. I do know, however, that the top three teams from Region 3 4A will make almost any team in this area look below par. So that obviously fails to indicate that DB will be terrible this year.

I saw the Vikings scrimmage Greeneville and I was a bit concerned with the offense. When Canty and Harmon weren't on the ground, the Vikings managed to get a few yards. Defense played well. I have to step back though and realize that it was a scrimmage and both teams were working on areas of concern.

I didn't see Morristown East last year, but they looked good in the scrimmage on Friday; they didn't look weak. Science Hill looked like they could use some more work. I'm sure they will come along.

I hear ya Campusatman. In a nutshell, I guess we are all going to have to wait till after at least week 0 to get anywhere close to a fair assessment of any of these teams.

After the Greenville scrimmage with the Vikings I went home and got online to see if I could get a hold of some of that new Crow Seasoning a friend of mine from Sullivan Central told me about at the end of basketball season! But after the PV scrimmage I felt much better about the situation. The Viking Coaching staff are doing an impressive job of shaping this years group into a team....exploring many available options. I do have to say that I was fairly sure who the starting QB would be up till now. The sophomore looked good with the exception of the one duck he flew out there toward the end.

Compusatman,

You know what, after pulling my head out of my butt a bit here , I think you were right earlier. The South squad does have 6 good wr's. After seeing bits and pieces of practices and games from previous years, I underestimated several players, and you know, that was wrong. I have been impressed with these boys on the field and off. If I was a college coach these are teh type young men I want in my program. These are very good group of young men who are being coached to be great men. Men of character.

As far as the scrimmages go, I am sure it was difficult to get any kind of real guage from the Happy Valley scrimmage, but sometimes it can be good especially to allow younger players to feel that groove and know what it is like when they get there. Hopefully the entire Rebel squad will be there against a talented Science Hill squad. I am not the coach, so I am going to stop acting like I know what's going on and what is best for the team. I apologize for my negativity... and don't want to live there anymore.

I have learned, that regardless of my perspective or opinions, I don't know what goes on day to day within a high school program. Noone does unless you are there, in locker room and the field, day in and out. So, forgive me all for being such an arse and showing such little patience. I can tell you this, I loved my old teammates when playing (still do), but I never played with such a good group of boys as this current Rebel squad as a whole. They are a TEAM. They want the man next to them to be just as good as they are and as good as they can be. I never really got that. I'll never bet against a TEAM.

Also, a wise man once told me "Just be patient". With that said, so I can enjoy high school football completely, I intend to never post here again. I don't want to take anything away from the greatest game I know, high school football. I don't want anything as petty as this message board stuff taking anything away from me either. It has in the past, as allowed it to ###### me off. So, say what you want but color me gone.... and Go Rebels!

P.S. High school players, quit reading this junk right now. Go do your homework!

Compusatman,

You know what, after pulling my head out of my butt a bit here , I think you were right earlier. The South squad does have 6 good wr's. After seeing bits and pieces of practices and games from previous years, I underestimated several players, and you know, that was wrong. I have been impressed with these boys on the field and off. If I was a college coach these are teh type young men I want in my program. These are very good group of young men who are being coached to be great men. Men of character.

As far as the scrimmages go, I am sure it was difficult to get any kind of real guage from the Happy Valley scrimmage, but sometimes it can be good especially to allow younger players to feel that groove and know what it is like when they get there. Hopefully the entire Rebel squad will be there against a talented Science Hill squad. I am not the coach, so I am going to stop acting like I know what's going on and what is best for the team. I apologize for my negativity... and don't want to live there anymore.

I have learned, that regardless of my perspective or opinions, I don't know what goes on day to day within a high school program. Noone does unless you are there, in locker room and the field, day in and out. So, forgive me all for being such an arse and showing such little patience. I can tell you this, I loved my old teammates when playing (still do), but I never played with such a good group of boys as this current Rebel squad as a whole. They are a TEAM. They want the man next to them to be just as good as they are and as good as they can be. I never really got that. I'll never bet against a TEAM.

Also, a wise man once told me "Just be patient". With that said, so I can enjoy high school football completely, I intend to never post here again. I don't want to take anything away from the greatest game I know, high school football. I don't want anything as petty as this message board stuff taking anything away from me either. It has in the past, as allowed it to ###### me off. So, say what you want but color me gone.... and Go Rebels!

P.S. High school players, quit reading this junk right now. Go do your homework!

I bet I could change your mind with one post.