MBA-Riverdale Scrimmage

notredame788

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of Riverdale now being a Wing-T team, I am curious as to how many of MBA's opponents this year run the Wing-T. I can't think of any that do, except for Antioch, possibly. I wonder if this scrimmage is that beneficial to the Big Red anymore, at least defensively. Of course, Riverdale will still have a strong defense for MBA's offense to go up against. Regardless, Riverdale is still a power and this scrimmage can only make MBA better.

This is a practice game and nothing more. It's will be hard to get a true feel as to which team is the best because they will both play everyone. Unless they decide to turn the clock on and play it just like an official game it is nothing more than a practice with another team.

This is a practice game and nothing more. It's will be hard to get a true feel as to which team is the best because they will both play everyone. Unless they decide to turn the clock on and play it just like an official game it is nothing more than a practice with another team.

actually its a glorified practice...with a little more intensity than a regular practice...

Good scrimmage in brutal heat today. Final was Riverdale 33, MBA 21...but both teams had some good moments and some bad. Unfortunately, the MVP for both teams was turnovers and the coaches can't be happy about that. I'll post a recap later but I'm heading down to the square for first Friday.

Good scrimmage in brutal heat today. Final was Riverdale 33, MBA 21...but both teams had some good moments and some bad. Unfortunately, the MVP for both teams was turnovers and the coaches can't be happy about that. I'll post a recap later but I'm heading down to the square for first Friday.

Sounds like a good little scrimmage. Come on back with that recap.

I'll post some of what I saw...it will be mostly from the Riverdale perspective since I'm not familiar with the MBA players.

There are a lot of talented players for both teams and I'll predict a good year for both. It was a first scrimmage and there were times when things looked pretty ragged. This was one of the few Riverdale scrimmages I've been to where the other team seemed to have as much depth as Riverdale...at least through the first couple teams. The number of good players on both teams was very noticeable. MBA was big and physical as always. I left feeling that MBA might be in a little better physical condition than we were as they were stronger at the finish. We need to work on that.

Coach A definitely did not plan this scrimmage to entertain or impress us onlookers. It was obviously about getting a look at a lot of players, including a lot of young players. The coaches challenged a lot of young players to step up...and a lot of them responded. Some guys that I don't know that caught my eye were #72 (started), #35, #1(started), #20.

I don't believe there was a single player that started on both sides of the ball...like I said earlier this seemed to be about getting a lot of players looks against a outstanding opponent. I never saw Spurlock on defense and never saw Verge on offense...could have happened but I never noticed it. Miller and #72 were on the starting DL along with Verge and I don't remember who the other DE was. The hit of the day was delivered by D'andre Miller.

What I would consider to be the starting backfield (Smith, Ebal, Boykin, McClain) couldn't have carried the ball more than 10-12 times total, combined. There was a host of runing backs that carried the ball and had good moments. Way too much dancing around but I'm sure the coaches will fix that. The bonehead play of the day was made by one of the young running backs. Fourth and one, on our own 40, the RB gets the ball and gets downfield about seven yards, then decides to double back, runs back behind the first down line and gets tackled....MBA gets the ball there. Funny during a scrimmage and I'm sure that is a lesson that won't soon be forgotten. That play is precisely why you practice and scrimmage.

We tried five extra points...three were made and those were hit well...one snap/hold was muffed...and the other kick was hit poorly and bounce off the upright. Our one punt travel about 15 yards in the air.

Our best two drives of the day ended in fumbles. The offense did not sustain a drive down the field all day and that is a concern. We threw two touchdown passes and one or two interceptions.

I'd say that one of the major goals of this scrimmage was to get a good look at the sophomores. Those guys spent a ton of time on the field. They did well at times and looked like rookies at times. Trying to tackle those big MBA running backs was a good learning experience for some young LBs.

It was just a scrimmage and really all you can judge is potential...I'd say both teams showed lots of potential and both teams have lots of work to do.

ok..1st off not really sure you were at the same game I was at... yes there were guys playing both sides..heck there was even a guy or two playing all over from offense/defense/& returns. 2nd not sure if you were meaning that they were putting sophmores (upcoming jrs) or (upcoming sophs) bc the ones that played 2nd & 3rd string were mostly jrs. not sophs. yes they did sub alot & that was a good thing. Yes we did score on 2 touchdown passes that was also a good thing. Yes the o-line made some amazing holes also a good thing & the d fense well they were good. But there is always room to improve....better tackles & NO FUMBLES wld be a great start!! But it was a scrimmage & i do believe that was the mind set of these guys. They also have a warrior that is still fighting in vandy & that was on some of their minds as well. As he gets better that will help them. The plays they ran looked great & the team is looking like a team which is nice 2 see at this stage. With the Heat like it was the coaching staff kept the guys heads in the game & it was just a shame more riverdale people did not turn out 2 support them. Keep up the good work guys!!

ok..1st off not really sure you were at the same game I was at... yes there were guys playing both sides..heck there was even a guy or two playing all over from offense/defense/& returns. 2nd not sure if you were meaning that they were putting sophmores (upcoming jrs) or (upcoming sophs) bc the ones that played 2nd & 3rd string were mostly jrs. not sophs. yes they did sub alot & that was a good thing. Yes we did score on 2 touchdown passes that was also a good thing. Yes the o-line made some amazing holes also a good thing & the d fense well they were good. But there is always room to improve....better tackles & NO FUMBLES wld be a great start!! But it was a scrimmage & i do believe that was the mind set of these guys. They also have a warrior that is still fighting in vandy & that was on some of their minds as well. As he gets better that will help them. The plays they ran looked great & the team is looking like a team which is nice 2 see at this stage. With the Heat like it was the coaching staff kept the guys heads in the game & it was just a shame more riverdale people did not turn out 2 support them. Keep up the good work guys!!

Maybe it didn't come across but I was pretty happy with what I saw, and with the fact that we got to see so many players get work with the 1st and 2d group. I think the coaches are working on finding a depth chart right now.

Yes, there were players that played both ways but I didn't see any that started both ways...that is a good thing, especially in the brutal heat.