Tennessee High vs. Dobyns-Bennett

Good post...I will add that many D-B fans start every year with visions of grandeur, as is the case with most school's fans (example: Science Hill fans think every year they are going to get D-B in football and VolmanScott I didn't use South as the example because I laughed so hard at your Eisenhower line...that was a good one, thanks) and with the preseason polls the "media" establishes the Indians as a contender every year...two points with that - 1) there are more voting members of the AP in northeast Tennessee than in any other part of the state...2) D-B is a potential contender every year and has proven that with the wins earned and with the playoff record, as well...as I asked in post # 38 on this thread, who besides Riverdale has done in just the past 10 years what the Indians have done?...but it is not a championship, so they are labeled chokers...I don't have a post anywhere on this site even inferring that "this is the year" and there are other realistic fans that support the Tribe without bombastically declaring victory...last year should have gone longer, but never expected a state title...South could say the same thing last year - should have gone longer...but they didn't choke...

again, I appreciate your post and reasoning, thanks

Roll Tribe Roll

Agreed that South should have went farther last year. With D-B though, that's part of being the "top dog" so to speak. It's a good problem to have I guess. I already find myself "going soft" towards the Indians now that the game has been taken off the schedule. Sad in a way. Good luck to you guys this year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s not really a fair statement. Every region has two or three teams that are always their representation and the rest would be considered week no matter what region they are in. So what region would you consider strong and why?

Cap1,

What you say is true but Region 1 (4A & 5A) winners are really no better than than most region's 3rd best team. DB has lost in 10 years, on their home field, in 1st or 2nd round 4 times. THS knows if they do get 1st or 2nd their season will end in Morristown anyway. The real high point was THS in '04. They could have beaten all but maybe 3 teams across the whole state.

Agreed that South should have went farther last year. With D-B though, that's part of being the "top dog" so to speak. It's a good problem to have I guess. I already find myself "going soft" towards the Indians now that the game has been taken off the schedule. Sad in a way. Good luck to you guys this year.

Good luck to you all as well...now you do realize that your "going soft" statement may be blown up to poster size and framed by many of the D-B faithful...ha,ha...should be a good year for a few area teams...

Roll Tribe Roll

I guess those teachers were preoccupied with trivial matters such as correct spelling and real words.

3, you know I'm just kidding with you. In a previous post, you predicted DB to win by at least 21. Do you think Dobyns-Bennett will accomplish that with the passing game? Do you believe they'll win the Big East?

'04,

Even when DB struggles they beat The Vikings.

Before asking if DB can win with the passing game I guess you should sum up the abilities of the THS secondary. Are they good enough to stop anybody? DB will do as Maryville did in '04. They will take what THS gives them.

Can THS win it at the line? Also, is the Viking offense more athletic than the DB defense?

Since you opened it up with 30+ years, don't forget the State Champion and National Champion THS Vikings in the early to mid 70's. I know they won at least two state titles by playoff and one national title by vote. They would get under your time line, just barely.

There are only a few other state football titles (by playoff) from any team in northeast tennessee that I can recall. I think the playoff format began in '69 and M-East won the first large school division (AAA at that time). Jeff County won one and perhaps Sevier County. Are there others I have missed? Oh well, recent years have been dominated by Region 2 and I don't foresee a change this year.

I am still sticking to 31 - 7 D-B over THS but I could change my view based on this week's scrimmages.

I was right there watching David, Larry, George & Co. play those games. They deserved and earned every award.

But 30+ is long enough. Time for Stubbs to step aside or at least hire some position coaches that can better serve the talent base at THS.

Good luck to you all as well...now you do realize that your "going soft" statement may be blown up to poster size and framed by many of the D-B faithful...ha,ha...should be a good year for a few area teams...

Roll Tribe Roll

That's okay, I'm getting too old to carry the Rebel Redneck banner anyway. I'll let someone step up and take that. Shouldn't be a problem finding one! ha.

'04,

Even when DB struggles they beat The Vikings.

Before asking if DB can win with the passing game I guess you should sum up the abilities of the THS secondary.

Are they good enough to stop anybody?

In this region, Tennessee High's secondary isn't normally challenged. South was the exception last year. Even in the Dobyns-Bennett game THS' secondary was beat, what, two times? Once on a desperation play. Turnovers were the Vikings biggest enemy last year. I admit, that's still no excuse for what happened.

Baker and Turnbull return to the secondary. A few players with potential will join them, but the inexperience will play a factor early in the season. Simultaneously, DB will have to replace valuable playmakers like Burton, Throp, and Sensabaugh.

DB will do as Maryville did in '04. They will take what THS gives them.

Can THS win it at the line? Also, is the Viking offense more athletic than the DB defense?

Tennessee High's front four should be as good as last year. The offense will take time to develop. I haven't seen DB in any scrimmages this year so I'm not sure how good their defense is.

I think Tennessee High will be quite good...losing Thomas was a big loss and Fleenor, but there is some experienced talent back for the Vikings...they are to not to be taken lightly by anyone...

I think the secondary is talented, but D-B did have receivers with 100 plus yards receiving the last two years (Throp 100 yards in 05 and Sensebaugh 143 in 06) with both of them having solid secondary rolls each year...

Tennessee High is not receiving the preseason accolades they deserve.

Roll Tribe Roll

I think Tennessee High will be quite good...losing Thomas was a big loss and Fleenor, but there is some experienced talent back for the Vikings...they are to not to be taken lightly by anyone...

I think the secondary is talented, but D-B did have receivers with 100 plus yards receiving the last two years (Throp 100 yards in 05 and Sensebaugh 143 in 06) with both of them having solid secondary rolls each year...

Roll Tribe Roll

The Vikings are potentially more talented in the skilled position in my opinion than we were last year. The physical part is there but the coaches have to install the frame of mind that Danny Thomas and Cory Fleenor possessed. The secondary is always a concern going into a new season. Two returning starts takes a little of the edge off but it is still a concern. As fare as them being tested by the Indians…from all indications there hasn’t been a Sensebaugh or a Throp (two very special and gifted athletes) emerge from the 07’ receiving core. And I have a felling you will learn to appreciate the player that Burton was more and more as the season goes on. So I don’t expect to see those numbers repeated this year. This is the perfect game for the Vikings to start out with. They will without a doubt be tested but a win here will be a much need boost of confidence for this team….especially after being a part of the most recent history between these two teams. We have waaaayyyyyyy more to gain from this game than to loose regardless of the out come (with the exception of it being a repeat of the last two years which I really doubt will happen).

Roll Tribe Roll

Being preranked to finish 1 or 2 in the region is about as good as there is. Either is home field advantage come playoffs.

Thomas is one tough athlete but there was no imagination in last year's offense unless you picked Thomas right and he went left.

Cap1,

What you say is true but Region 1 (4A & 5A) winners are really no better than than most region's 3rd best team. DB has lost in 10 years, on their home field, in 1st or 2nd round 4 times. THS knows if they do get 1st or 2nd their season will end in Morristown anyway. The real high point was THS in '04. They could have beaten all but maybe 3 teams across the whole state.

03, I think the Vikings would have the same success in most regions…with the exception of regions 3, 5, and maybe 8. There is no way to really know because Maryville rarely lets anyone step one foot out of the east.