Farragut v. Knox West

CU06

I like how West is using the Phil Fulmer disciplince process. IF your good, the punishment is not too severe. If the kid got a DUI, why is he not suspended for the entire/multiple game(s)?

No DUI. Cummings is the coach, and is using a process he is comfortable with. Suspension is indefenite....which could mean a minute, a month, or more. I'm sure the kid feels bad. Could not have happened at a more important time in his life. Time to move on. How will Wagner do, and what changes to the offense might be put in place if any? Remember, the kid can throw it.

ruse?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack is a tremendous athlete. He at WR gives them another weapon. Sure he is a good QB as well, he just gives them another athlete on the field when he is at WR compared to QB. When you have a good backfield, and good WR's, a pretty good QB in Ryan gets to hand it or throw it to some super speedy athletes. This allows a more spread type offense, as the saying always goes "getting speed in space". With Jack at QB that option is taken away. Just as ruse? said though, he is a hard guy to rattle. I'm not sure the box can contain Jack, which also gives the WR's a better chance to get open.

West by how ever many Cummings wants to, but remember he is one of the more professional, respectable, and sincere coaches around.

As a Powell fan, I'll be watching this game with an open mind. Without Ryan, Farragut has to have the upper hand in this game. It should still be a good game, but I don't really see how losing a talent like Jake Ryan is an 'advantage' for the Rebels. The fortunes of West hinge pretty heavily on the performance of Jake Ryan, case in point last season. If you do the crime, you do the time, regardless of who you are. Farragut by 10.

As a Powell fan, I'll be watching this game with an open mind. Without Ryan, Farragut has to have the upper hand in this game. It should still be a good game, but I don't really see how losing a talent like Jake Ryan is an 'advantage' for the Rebels. The fortunes of West hinge pretty heavily on the performance of Jake Ryan, case in point last season. If you do the crime, you do the time, regardless of who you are. Farragut by 10.

osunut2.

I simply believe that the best way to handle West from a defensive perspective to blitz Ryan. Farragut has smaller, quicker LBs/DEs, and while West's OL may be a bit untested, Farragut would not get the pressure needed w/out bringng folks. Does Wagner have Ryan's mechanics, and command of the offense? No. What Wagner does have though is big game winning experence against teams that blitz. He was Fulton' QB last year when they beat Alcoa at Alcoa. His confidence is a strength, probably overdone, but there is little doubt in my mind that when he steps into the huddle, it should have been his huddle anyway. West loses some because Wagner can be a threat at WR, with Ryan there, and can't double Easterly. IMO, though Wagner hasn't done much at WR yet. Good Safety prospect though.

ruse?

ruse? i dont really recall wagner having as stellar performance against alcoa as you describe. i remember alcoa blitzing and shutting fulton down until wagner made a little dump pass to rogan on a screen. still in the second half alcoa was still shutting fulton down until rogan busted a long run. case in point i remember dennis rogan being the stellar player in the game and hardly recall wagner doing anything with his feet. not saying that he's not a good athlete or qb, but just that it seemed to me that you hyped him up too much about the alcoa game last year

I simply believe that the best way to handle West from a defensive perspective to blitz Ryan. Farragut has smaller, quicker LBs/DEs, and while West's OL may be a bit untested, Farragut would not get the pressure needed w/out bringng folks. Does Wagner have Ryan's mechanics, and command of the offense? No. What Wagner does have though is big game winning experence against teams that blitz. He was Fulton' QB last year when they beat Alcoa at Alcoa. His confidence is a strength, probably overdone, but there is little doubt in my mind that when he steps into the huddle, it should have been his huddle anyway. West loses some because Wagner can be a threat at WR, with Ryan there, and can't double Easterly. IMO, though Wagner hasn't done much at WR yet. Good Safety prospect though.

ruse?

ruse?,

you seem convinced that it would be in Farragut's best interest to blitz Ryan if he is indeed able to play. Doesn't Scott Cummings still run the veer? A dangerous strategy, in my opinion, against split backs a yard and a half off the ball. I would be afraid the dive and the toss sweep, two staples of the veer, would kill me. You might have some success against the lead veer, especially if the quartererback isn't at least proficient at checking to direction, and the dropback pass. In this case, however, I feel the risk would far outweigh the reward. I would certainly think any defensive coordinator's objective would be to stop the run first. I think Ken Sparks would be delighted to see an aggressive blitzing defense against his veer.

Just a thought.

My prediction is West will find away to lose the game like the past. They always seem to shoot themselves in the foot in the big games and end up losing a game where they may have outplayed the opponent. Until West wins a big game I'll stick w/ Farragut in this one. 24-21 - West "D" is too soft, Sterling will go for 150 or more. And as far as Wagner at QB, West will be fine w/ him. There's things he does better than Ryan just as there's things Ryan does better.

I'll be routing for West though..

I get that West has good athletes, but so do a lot of teams. Farragut plays Oak Ridge and Ooltewah every year and sometimes twice a year. Do you really think West has the athletes to compare with those teams? I doubt that West will have much success running the ball. They may escape with 1 or 2 big gainers if Farragut busts an assignment, but it wont hold up for much of the game. This game will hinge on West being able to throw the football, and Farragut has some serious athletes of their own in their defensive backfield.