Nasheville Cruisers

statman3

Our older team was in Texas and we were in Sioux Falls. We know for a fact that the bulk of the coaches stayed through Friday evening and probably left for Texas to see girls play that they have already signed. Weakley sat in our stands on Thursday evening and watched the entire game which ended at 11:45 PM. I love the way people get on here and try to act like they know what is going on and were not even there................

As for downplaying the Cruisers win.........ridiculous! I looked at several of the player profile brochures at the tournament and I would have to say that there were just as many 08's as 09's and 10's.

The Cruisers winning speaks volumes for Tennessee softball and will have an impact on softball in our state for a long time. These girls came together for a common purpose and played GREAT for 8 games. 2007 16U ASA National Champions, Nashville Cruisers, sounds good to me!

Congrats to Mike and all of his players, coaches and parents. You did Nashville (Tennessee) proud!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our older team was in Texas and we were in Sioux Falls. We know for a fact that the bulk of the coaches stayed through Friday evening and probably left for Texas to see girls play that they have already signed. Weakley sat in our stands on Thursday evening and watched the entire game which ended at 11:45 PM. I love the way people get on here and try to act like they know what is going on and were not even there................

As for downplaying the Cruisers win.........ridiculous! I looked at several of the player profile brochures at the tournament and I would have to say that there were just as many 08's as 09's and 10's.

The Cruisers winning speaks volumes for Tennessee softball and will have an impact on softball in our state for a long time. These girls came together for a common purpose and played GREAT for 8 games. 2007 16U ASA National Champions, Nashville Cruisers, sounds good to me!

Congrats to Mike and all of his players, coaches and parents. You did Nashville (Tennessee) proud!

Do you mean Coach Weekly of Tennessee? He has all the verbals from 2008 he has room for. He is working on the 2009 class. He has:

Jessee Spigner- California Choppers-18U gold

Adrena Anderson- California Cruisers- 18U gold

Cat Hosfield- OC Batbusters- 18U gold

Ashley Anderson- Washington Sidewinders- 18U gold

Shelby Burchall - OC Batbusters-18U gold

Dionna Fryer- Shamrocks

He is working on the 2009 class in which he already has two verbals.

It is listed on Student sport softball

All 2008 and 2009 verbals and where they are going

No doubt there are more top coaches at 16u and at 18U Gold but they are at 16U looking at players in the 2009 and 2010 classes then they are off to gold to look at the top of the 2008 class. Yes, there were SEC coaches and coaches in the top twenty division I schools at 16U nationals! How many of these schools are interested in what a group of seniors can do against 2009 , 2010, and 2011 girls 1 to 3 yrs younger than they are! Kuddos for the team and coach for working hard but it could be recruiting suicide to play down like that. I hope I am wrong. Check on line for rosters of the top teams they played against, they are primarly 2009 and 2010 girls .

Many of the top programs are finished with their recruiting for 2008 by the time nationals roll around, true. However, unless these kids are stuck on UCLA, Arizona, TN or the like - I doubt they have hurt their recruiting chances. At Gold Nationals last August, there were several D1 schools still looking for 2006's. I guess really, the proof would be in the pudding. Have any of the kids on this team been recruited or made committments? If they weren't looked at before, winning a national should put them in the spotlight.

Many of the top programs are finished with their recruiting for 2008 by the time nationals roll around, true. However, unless these kids are stuck on UCLA, Arizona, TN or the like - I doubt they have hurt their recruiting chances. At Gold Nationals last August, there were several D1 schools still looking for 2006's. I guess really, the proof would be in the pudding. Have any of the kids on this team been recruited or made committments? If they weren't looked at before, winning a national should put them in the spotlight.

Yes it should!

But I do agree , with all the early recruiting most of the top talent in the 2008 and even 2009 class has fled to the 18U gold teams. They are scared they will be missed and everybody wants to early verbal! ( I dont know if this is good or bad) A look at the gold program in Oklahoma shows a predominance of players in the 2008 class and of course a sprinkling of 2006's and many 2007's. I also see more than a few 2009's and even a few 2010's! The teams being scowled at are the teams consisting of a lot of 2006 college players and teams bringing in " Hot Shot" college pitchers from top teams like Northwestern.

I think top and upper mid level D-I programs are going to snatch up the 2008 pitchers and players from gold not 16U.

I agree, most top college programs are scouting 16U tournament for rising juniors.

I also think mid level D-I and lower level D-I and D-II and D-III and NAIA have greater numbers at the 18U A nationals.

I also agree I THINK IT IS GREAT MIKE WON!! I wish his girls the best.

Yes it should!

But I do agree , with all the early recruiting most of the top talent in the 2008 and even 2009 class has fled to the 18U gold teams. They are scared they will be missed and everybody wants to early verbal! ( I dont know if this is good or bad) A look at the gold program in Oklahoma shows a predominance of players in the 2008 class and of course a sprinkling of 2006's and many 2007's. I also see more than a few 2009's and even a few 2010's! The teams being scowled at are the teams consisting of a lot of 2006 college players and teams bringing in " Hot Shot" college pitchers from top teams like Northwestern.

I think top and upper mid level D-I programs are going to snatch up the 2008 pitchers and players from gold not 16U.

I agree, most top college programs are scouting 16U tournament for rising juniors.

I also think mid level D-I and lower level D-I and D-II and D-III and NAIA have greater numbers at the 18U A nationals.

But, if I could play devil's advocate............

Making it to the top 64 teams of Gold Nationals is tough. Many teams will never do it - especially when you run across teams put together of college players and signed kids for the sole purpose of going deep into the national tournament along the way. It's been established that a lot of the same coaches go to both 16U and Gold nationals. If a player is what they are looking for, do you think seeing them at a 16U Nationals is any different than seeing them at Gold? Of course the competition is better at Gold, but these coaches know what they are looking at - as far as athletisim. Exposure is key. Looks like these kids got it.

Do you mean Coach Weekly of Tennessee? He has all the verbals from 2008 he has room for. He is working on the 2009 class. He has:

Jessee Spigner- California Choppers-18U gold

Adrena Anderson- California Cruisers- 18U gold

Cat Hosfield- OC Batbusters- 18U gold

Ashley Anderson- Washington Sidewinders- 18U gold

Shelby Burchall - OC Batbusters-18U gold

Dionna Fryer- Shamrocks

He is working on the 2009 class in which he already has two verbals.

It is listed on Student sport softball

All 2008 and 2009 verbals and where they are going

Good to know, because half our girls are '09 and half are '10.......................and let's be honest, the '09 verbals usually are pitchers and catchers. The defensive positions will be filled next year with '08 and some '09 players. I am not just talking about UT. mostly all schools recruit this way.

Well, it is an accomplishment but the Cruiser roster consists of almost all players in the 2008 class....rising seniors. Because of recruiting moving to younger and younger ages in the last two years most of the 2008 class is playing on 18U teams in ASA. If you look at the rosters of all the teams registered in 16U ASA you will see all rising freshmen, rising sophomores and rising juniors. Even some of these young players are seen on 18U Gold rosters now at the Championships in Oklahoma. I hope playing 16U helps these rising seniors (esp the pitchers) get a scholarship. I have always pushed for these girls to play at the highest level they possibly can to get the most college opportunities.

My bad...............the above was what I was referring to, not your post ..............sorry.

Congratulations to Mike & all these girls ohn the Cruiser team. They have been working for this for quite some time. I can't tell you how many 16 ASA Championships there have been, but out in California, the Eagles out of Mid Tennessee beat the Batbusters in their backyard. Congratulations again & best wishes to all these girls.

ASA needs to have a way to have a division for high school athletes that have not played college ball. Either another division or make the Gold Division for Fresh/Soph in College & put the 18 under for high school junior/seniors. Those playing in college probably should be playing a college division or women's division, but until ASA sees this, it ain't goin to happen. Again best of luck to these Champs, they deserve the best. Quite a goup of players-

ASA needs to have a way to have a division for high school athletes that have not played college ball. Either another division or make the Gold Division for Fresh/Soph in College & put the 18 under for high school junior/seniors. Those playing in college probably should be playing a college division or women's division, but until ASA sees this, it ain't goin to happen. Again best of luck to these Champs, they deserve the best. Quite a goup of players-

I agree. The age change to January 1st several years ago set up this type of thing to occur. College players should have to move up to 23U and should never play against recruits. 18A and 16U should go to 43 feet.

This team accomplished an amazing feat. I think it's a shame that they can't even get their uniforms unpacked before the world is criticizing them for not playing Gold. There are plenty of colleges out there that still need 2008's. A lot of college coaches are just now finding out who will sign in November. Remember, anything until that point is a verbal commitment and can easily be broken. In fact, many on the national forefront are saying that softball is starting to resemble football and basketball in the recruiting arena in that a verbal doesn't mean as much anymore.

Once again, congrats to all involved with the Cruisers!

Cruisers' roster

Merrick Martin - SS Mt. Juliet

Courtney Billington - 2B Willson Central

Jenny Bain - 3B Hendersonville

Adair Hewett - 1B Centennial

Hannah Irwin - C/RF Mt. Juliet

Raven Goodman - CF Columbia Central

Tiffany Hibbs - C/RF Goodpasture

Beth Harris - LF LaVergne

Riley Mashburn - P Father Ryan

Brittany Pruitt - P Ravenwood

1st game vs. So Cal Pumas won 3-1

2nd game vs. Indy Dream won 2-1

3rd game vs. Minnesota Sting won 7-4

4th game vs. San Jose Sting won 2-0

5th game vs. California Nemesis won 5-1

6th game vs. Arizona Killer Bees won 1-0 in 8 innings

7th game vs. OC Batbusters won 4-0

Championship game vs. Southern Illinois Force won 11-2

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COACHES, PLAYERS, AND PARENTS OF THE 16U NASHVILLE CRUISERS!!!!!

AN OUTSTANDING ACCOMPLISHMENT AND GREAT REWARD FOR THEIR HARD WORK.

Yes it should!

Kids are not necessarily "fleeing to gold ball" for fear of being missed or wanting to verbal early. The reality is that most D1 programs (and certainly all major ones) "recruit" from the gold level! Ask any D1 college coach and they will tell you the athlete should be playing gold ball (43') to be considered for their programs. (Not saying it is the way it should be, but that's the way it is!) Remember, a 2008 kid will be playing college ball in exactly one year at 43'. They want to see kids playing the type ball present in college.

If the Cruiser team were made of all 2009's (or younger) and won 16 Nationals, every kid on the team would be a top prospect on most school's list. Being Seniors though, and playing at 16 Nationals could cause them to be overlooked by programs. Reason: most D1 schools are done w/2008 class, and those that aren't are looking at gold players who are competing at that level. College coaches may wonder why a 2008 didn't play up, instead of down. With that said though, at least they "did win" the championship. Had they not won, or at least placed high--it would have probably really hurt the players recruiting chances. Sadly, the recruiting world is changing in softball. Most D1 schools (even the smaller ones) are one year ahead of the recruiting curve in evaluation of players. Coaches that attend 16 Nationals are usually there to see the rising young talent that they want to follow into gold ball, to see how they progress. Again, "but at least they won". Congratulations to them!

I heard myself from the horse's mouth(meaning a local SEC coach) that this is the way coaches look at 16U and 18Gold....If you are still looking to be recruited, 16U Nationals is the way to go...if you have already commited, 9 out of 10 college coaches want those girls to play on the best 18GOLD team available to them (especially if they are pitchers) regardless of age because of the better quality of offense they will have to face. Also if you have a big bat, then you will see better pitching. College coaches want their recruits to have already played against college age girls long before they ever get to college.