Bledsoe Co. @ Polk Co.

Let's get back on the topic of Bledsoe Co. vs. Polk Co. I predict that BC will come home with a big "W". BC by 6.

High school football preview capsules (Chatt Times)

Friday, August 24, 2007

POLK COUNTY WILDCATS

Coach: Derrick Davis

50-28 career

* That was last year: 7-4 (5-3 3-3A); lost 6-0 to Pearl-Cohn in first round

* One game at a time: The Wildcats routinely enter games with a disadvantage in team speed. Davis jokingly said he has several that could run the 40-yard dash in “4-ever.” Winning 64 percent of his games means the coach has figured something out. Davis said he thinks long scoring plays are “pretty and all,” but his concept of football is centered around philosophies s like “lining up and getting after somebody.”

* You’ve got to step up: There’s a small list, and all are trying to fill one void. It’s the one left by Willie Ledford. Someone must fulfill his former roles at outside LB and kick returner. He also played RB basically the second half of the season and by far led the team with 15 touchdowns.

* You can’t win if you don’t score: Polk County fans have anticipated Haden Browder’s time at QB. It’s here — just a year late. Browder is coming off a catastrophic knee injury that caused him to miss his junior season. His speed is among the best on the team, and he has more than an adequate arm throwing the ball. Now the coaching staff needs to find some guys that can catch it.

* Defense wins championships: Davis orchestrates this side of the ball himself and has his own reward system in place. He also has a No. 1 requirement from his defenders. It’s called unselfishness. Anticipate senior Bo Lanning to emerge as a leader. He’s studious and has the capacity to play any defensive position except tackle.

BLEDSOE COUNTY WARRIORS

Coach: Hubert Roberson

0-0 career; 0-0 here

* That was last year: 5-6 (2-2 3-2A); lost 49-7 to Smith County in first round

* One game at a time: The Warriors get region favorites Boyd-Buchanan and Tyner at home. Even if they lose those two, third place will likely be decided at Marion County in week nine.

* You’ve got to step up: Although he’s only a sophomore, Chase Brown may be the best athlete on the team and will be counted on to be more mature than his years.

* You can’t win if you don’t score: Senior QB Trey Colvard returns and is the team’s best big-play threat. The Warriors also have a handful of shifty runners, and TE Joe Thurman is a nice target with good hands.

* Defense wins championships: Senior DT Mitchell Wells (6-6, 275) has great speed for his size and makes running off tackle very difficult for opponents. There are six total starters returning on this side of the ball.

POLECAT

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been waiting for tonight for a while. good luck to the Big Blue. My prediction is 14-7 in a pickem. BledsoeB, please stop being so dramatic. you act like you are the only warrior fan and I'm still wondering if you are what you say you are, if you ever played, or if maybe your aren't simply one of the coaches or former coaches

One non region loss against a team that will probably be 1st or 2nd in its 3-A region doesn't automatically mean Bledsoe's season will be a disaster.

I know this Indian and I wish the other people from Bledsoe would understand this but they won't... They were just waiting for this moment so they could bash Coach Roberson because he didn't beat Polk Co... Its just the first game of the season and there's 9 more its not the end of the world in Bledsoe County... They need to have faith in him...

I think the problem with Bledsoe is the fact that you have a new coach who has brought higher expections and some energy to a program that desperately needed it and the fact that S. Pittsburg dominated Polk in their scrimmage two weeks ago, it may have given the BIG BLUE some higher expectations than were warranted for this game. Polk is a good team and so is Bledsoe, Polk is 3A and Bledsoe is 2A, and I know S. Pittsburg is 1A, but a scrimmage is a scrimmage so I wouldn't read too much into that. Bledsoe will rebound and have a better season than the past few and with those middle school kids coming up, they will be even better the next couple of years.