Small programs winning against Larger programs

rigger101

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're reading too much into this supposed shocker where Alcoa beat McCallie. Is that the same Alcoa team that played Maryville (considered the best team in the state and nationally ranked) to a 17-14 game? Alcoa is different than most, if not all, 2A schools. Coming from behind to beat McCallie late in the 4th quarter showed a lot of heart and character on their part; and the fact that they had 6 DI prospects on their team. Alcoa can play with any team in the state regardless of classification. So to answer your question.........no........it is not a "big deal" in most people's eyes. As for all the small talk on the Super 7 being the "best football" in the state; well, that's an endless debate. From top to bottom I would say it's the toughest. Unfortunately, the only thing we have to go on is records and they speak for themselves. Have a good one.....

Seams like everyone is getting stuck on the Alcoa part of my question. My big shock was Goodpasture beating Ravenwood. This week Fulton will face OR and Fulton is favored. Station Camp 3A payoff team beating 5A playoff team Hendersonville.

Is this the small team stepping up and winnning against the big guy or could these teams compete at a 5A level every week.

In one-game situations, sure, the smaller programs - the good ones, that is - can compete with the big schools, as has been evidenced over the years. But factor in pitting the smaller schools versus the bigger schools every week - and the toll that takes with injuries, depth issues, etc. - and the numbers would probably fall upon classification lines.

Last year, I started tracking how the classifications perform against each other. Here are the 2006 results (sorry rigger, I know you cringe when you see me post numbers):

2006 Tennessee Regular Season Summary

Note, with an exception here and there, that classifications, across multiple games, generally ruled according to size:

- 5A tied 4A but had a winning record versus 3A and 2A (no games against 1A)

- 4A tied 5A and 3A but trumped 2A and 1A

- 3A had the advantage over 2A and 1A, tied 4A and lost to 5A

- 2A had losing records against all the DI classes, including 1A

- 1A had the edge on 2A but was bested by 3A and 4A (no games against 5A)

To me, although one year is not a be-all, end-all to go by, this says that the classifications are watered down, and should be downsized along the lines of 5A/4A as one class, 3A as one class, 2A/1A as one class.

It's early in 2007, but here are standings through Week 0:

2007 Tennessee Regular Season Summary

Too little data to infer anything yet, but it is somewhat interesting to note that 1A did well in Week 0, tying 2A and beating 3A and 4A (of course, the sample size is small). Also, 5A takes an early lead on 4A in the never-ending "5A vs. 4A - which is better?" debate.

In one-game situations, sure, the smaller programs - the good ones, that is - can compete with the big schools, as has been evidenced over the years. But factor in pitting the smaller schools versus the bigger schools every week - and the toll that takes with injuries, depth issues, etc. - and the numbers would probably fall upon classification lines.

Last year, I started tracking how the classifications perform against each other. Here are the 2006 results (sorry rigger, I know you cringe when you see me post numbers):

Note, with an exception here and there, that classifications, across multiple games, generally ruled according to size:

To me, although one year is not a be-all, end-all to go by, this says that the classifications are watered down, and should be downsized along the lines of 5A/4A as one class, 3A as one class, 2A/1A as one class.

Too little data to infer anything yet, but it is somewhat interesting to note that 1A did well in Week 0, tying 2A and beating 3A and 4A (of course, the sample size is small). Also, 5A takes an early lead on 4A in the never-ending "5A vs. 4A - which is better?" debate.

Good data collection rollredroll, I can see that, & and agree. It would be very difficult for smaller to compete week in / week out, due to those possible issues you mentiond above. 2007 has already started off interesting in some areas.

Nice Stats! I am humbled by your knowledge!

I guess the Appalachian State Coach said it best today in an interview.

"We like playing the big Teams once a year but not 3 in one season"

So it looks like to me that the large schools/

divisions are taking a bigger chance playing these games.

I can tell you this. I feel watching the smaller schools stepping up and beating the traditional programs is why most of us love HS football.

Brentwood Acad was a perrenial power and title contender before the new classification system. However, Jasper (Marion County High) came from behind to beat them in the State title game. McCallie was a power before the A, AA, and AAA system but during that system from 1969 to the 90s when the Div I and II was created never were really contenders. Public Schools like Cleveland and Bradley owned them. Also go back and look at BGA before and during the A, AA, AAA system. They were a contener before the classification, but not during.

Go look at the playoff brackets before the Div I and II thing.