Stone Memorial vs Knoxville Catholic

kane

Catholic will not lose a game this year. I think they will be your 3A Champs. Those guys are well coached. They are athletic. They are huge up front and play with an attitude.

I think they have been the best team in 3a the last 3 years (including this year). Maybe they can get over that playoff hump.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is over before it starts. Irish by atleast 42! Thank you for the new mercy rule. Got to prepare for A-E and Webb.

Just when I thought the old irish drunk got lost on a tavern tour while sipping Jamison's and Black and Tan's; bam, there he is with a fiesty "shot." Pun intended:) Now for the Stone fans, a little history, info, etc.

It was not so long ago (5/6 yrs) that Catholic was located on Magnolia Ave. in downtown Knoxville, and was, in it's best year, an afterthought for HS football fans. Several things happend.

The school moved to West Knoxville, and every time I drive by the place, there is more construction taking place.

Catholic hired a very good coach by the name of Mark Pemberton who by all accounts is "old school", tough, fair, unrelenting, and smart.

They developed a feeder youth program which, IMO is now second only to Marville's in east TN.

They opted to play DI rather than DII which meant no financial aid, and a student population "multiplier" of 1.9 for classification purposes, but placed them in 2-3A which meant instant rivalries, exposure, and credibility.

Knox. Co. decided to rezone school districts which has/is creating an environment where some parents see Catholic as a better option than West, Farragut, Bearden, Karns, or the soon to be Hardin Valley HS. Webb has stated that they do not wish to enlarge their enrollment, and Catholic is less expensive than CAK.

MineyHaole. Let's just hit this recruiting thing. Everybody recruits, both public and private. Privates recruit, subisdizing some or all of the tuition, and are classified, in this state as DII. So how is it that Publics recruit? Knoxville, like many other school districts throughout the country either have, or are contemplating doing away with Middle School football as an athletic component of the school district/system. What typically happens, is that over some period of time, parental/community support in the form of money, and staff supplants what was in place, and in many cases is actually better. That includes the coaching. Kids get fundamentally better, earlier, and by the time they are in 7th or 8th grade, they are either looking at what program is best for them, or are being looked at by programs that think they are best for the kid. Many of the kids that played or play in a particular youth program go to HS's that are different. Some examples are Burnette @ Mville played @ Halls, Douglas @ Mville played at Farragut/Halls, Sommer @ Alcoa, Hallady @ Bearden played @ Karns, Ryan @ West played @ Bearden, a number of kids that today play @ AE, Fulton, Central, Powell, etc, played in different youth programs, and were Baby Roadrunners, Falcons, etc.

Back in the spring, I felt that SM would wind up being much like Catholic in about the same period of time. It's economics, and location. It starts with education, and if it is built, it will be new, and they will come. Business, and industry follow education, which in turn brings population, and tax base/revenue. This population brings kids, which through the numbers game brings athletes, which brings success, and the cycle compounds for continued growth and success. IMO, SM may well skip 4A, and be a 5A school by the 09 season/2010 class.

I saw Catholic scrimmage this spring, once this fall, in the jamboree, and watched the ET Preps/CW broadcast, which was very well done for a 1st time affair. I pulled their roster from the Knots Spews sentinel, and recorded the broadcast. Don't sue me mobry. It's still too early to tell who has what, IMO. Is Catholic good, MoWest down? Time will tell. I still like AE laying in the weeds, and Fulton has the Lou Holtz "we lost so much" syndrome. AC looked very good against Oak Ridge in the Jamboree, and Halls in scrimmage last Thurs. Kingston is fast, Scott has 20 returning starters, and LA seems to be still rebuilding after going down pretty hard to one of the better 2A programs in the state in Smith Co.

Folks have said Catholic's defense is stout, and they are; however, I like their QB Lindsey (Mineyhaole), and their RB's Vann, and Pfleger (sp?). Vann is slick as snott, and Pfleger is big, just a bit smaller that Smith from last yr. Looked pretty fast on a long TD that got called back. Lindsey knows how to run that offense. WRs are both big. Kennedy goes about 6-4, 210, and Walden looks to be 6-2, 180. Both have good speed. Two things about their offense struck me as uncharacteristic. One is the size of the OL. Over the years, most of the teams that I was involved with that ran it, usually had smaller OL's that were very quick, specificaly the OGs. The OGs are Tait 6-4, 300, and Coulter 6-2, 230, and they can move. OTs are Hood 6-6, 250, and Irwin 6-5, 240. On defense the NG impressed. Wood, 5-10, 240. Quick. DTs rotate quite a bit w/Coulter and Tait starting. DE's Giles, 5-10, 200 and Mubarak, 6-2, 210 are disciplined, strong, quick. ILBs are Trusler, 6-2, 220, and Tait 6-2, 230. Ferris is a heck of a CB, Robbins, Pfleger, Lindsey, Pickering, and about 1/6 a dozen other clones all run, hit, play the same. Kicker has a strong leg. Punter looked good until a "off" snap.

Good luck to both teams.

ruse?

The mercy rules saves stone from the embarrasment of 100. To chokeonaloaf, do you really think playing a jv schedule compares to a varsity schedule. If you think you played people's varsity last year and won 8 and you have everybody back then you should win at least 8 this year according to your logic. If i'm not mistaken you played scott co. last year and beat them so you should blow them out this year?

Catholic will let the air out Stone's balloon, Catholic by 24

I dont see but one poster on here that gives stone a chance.So i dont get your comment on air in ballons.

stupid comment.Catholic is the only team with something to lose.If its a close game then we all where wrong.

I'll stand by my score.But air in balloons come on

The mercy rules saves stone from the embarrasment of 100. To chokeonaloaf, do you really think playing a jv schedule compares to a varsity schedule. If you think you played people's varsity last year and won 8 and you have everybody back then you should win at least 8 this year according to your logic. If i'm not mistaken you played scott co. last year and beat them so you should blow them out this year?

Well yes and no. Obviously we don't play the same people, we do have a tougher schedule, and some of our games were close. So this either leaves room for a little improvement, or room for a little more failure. But not a huge change, i predict we win 5 or 6 to 8 games this year. Somewhere in that range.

I'll be glad when we prove you all wrong. Even if we don't win the game (i'm hoping we will though) it will be closer than you guys are predicting. Very close probably. Also to badblood, we are little, but we definitely aren't slow. We are an extremely fast team, that's where we basically make our living on the defensive line is our speed to match up to their size.