Who wants double elimination for state?

wosbodog

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double elimination only if you do a few things:

1. Place D1 & D2 back together

2. Have district, region and state with the top 32 advancing to the state tournament

3. Place the top 8 in each weight division

I don't see why making D-1 double elimination has to be contingent upon anything. Your laundry list amounts to a wholesale change. Given the glacial pace the TSSAA powers seem to move, there is no way any of us will ever live to see a double elimination if your conditions first had to be met.

The change to a double elimination is so minor and so freaking easy to accomplish and would please so many people it really makes me wonder why it hasn't happened yet. How an organization ( TSSAA ) can so casually ignore the desires of virtually all the people they claim to represent is somewhat of a mystery to me. Why we tolerate it is another .

I don't see why making D-1 double elimination has to be contingent upon anything. Your laundry list amounts to a wholesale change. Given the glacial pace the TSSAA powers seem to move, there is no way any of us will ever live to see a double elimination if your conditions first had to be met.

The change to a double elimination is so minor and so freaking easy to accomplish and would please so many people it really makes me wonder why it hasn't happened yet. How an organization ( TSSAA ) can so casually ignore the desires of virtually all the people they claim to represent is somewhat of a mystery to me. Why we tolerate it is another .

The reason for so many changes is that you have kids today that become state champions that in years past would not have made it out of their region. Both D1 & D2 are much too easy and everyone knows this is true. When you have a state like California with one classification for wrestling and PA with only two classifications for wrestling it dosen't take a rocket scientist to understand that winning a state championship is not what it should or could be. The only positive that has resulted in two classifications is that Tennessee has produced more 4X state champions which is good publicity. I have some serious doubts that any of the recent 4X state champions would have won 4 titles they had wrestled under the old system of one classification.

The reason for so many changes is that you have kids today that become state champions that in years past would not have made it out of their region. Both D1 & D2 are much too easy and everyone knows this is true. When you have a state like California with one classification for wrestling and PA with only two classifications for wrestling it dosen't take a rocket scientist to understand that winning a state championship is not what it should or could be. The only positive that has resulted in two classifications is that Tennessee has produced more 4X state champions which is good publicity. I have some serious doubts that any of the recent 4X state champions would have won 4 titles they had wrestled under the old system of one classification.

The only one possibly would have been the Keller guy from Bradley. A lot of the freshmen winning state in D2 and becoming 4x champs, probably would not happen. Personally, I think everyone is in favor of Double elimination, the TSSAA just seems to want to drag this out. If it is about money, wouldn't they make more from people possibly having to stay longer for the tournament. Just a suggestion.

I can't argue it wouldn't be harder to be a state champ with but one division. It would. Still I don't see revamping the entire system as being necessary to make D-1 a double elimimination. Should be a separate and as mentioned before an easy to fix issue. Compared to many other states Tennessee is not too bad with only 2 divisions. Not too bad doesn't mean perfect, but I can live with it. States with 4, 5, and 6 champions per weight class gets to be a bit much. CA may well be the toughest place to win a state title with one state champ but I wouldn't discount the value of our present two champ format. I seem to remember one of our so called " ...not what it could be or should be... " state champs Whit Dunning knocking of a CA state champ at Sr Nationals. Most of our current state champs are worthy and seem to be able to hold their own on the national level. Making the best of the current situation myself and several others have a bit of fun debating and trying to predict who would win in a single division format. Allowing for a couple of toss-ups we usually come out to 8 to 6 in favor of our individual bias (es ? ) D-1 or D-2. In other words it is pretty darn close. As wrestling continues to grow in terms of numbers and quality I think the argument against the dual champion format will be less and less valid. Watching some ( but not nearly all ) of our best , maul state champs from surrounding states at the dixie duals, no one in the southeast is going to hang a paper tiger label on any of our state champs. I believe a state championship in either division means something and winners have earned the right to be proud.

My guess right now is that we have our strange elimination system to save time and money. Double elimination probably takes longer to run than the current elimination method; that's the only explanation I can think of.

Yes, it does seem like the TSSAA would make more money by having people stay longer. But I think it's actually the McKenzie Arena managers that make the money and I bet the TSSAA has to pay them rent for the use of their building or something like that. It might also somehow be better for the press and media coverage to have a shorter tournament. ??? Just guessing.

But, as shehateme pointed out, there is some dead time at the tournament like during the breaks and stuff so it seems like we would have some time to spare.

• 1 month later...

My guess right now is that we have our strange elimination system to save time and money. Double elimination probably takes longer to run than the current elimination method; that's the only explanation I can think of.

Yes, it does seem like the TSSAA would make more money by having people stay longer. But I think it's actually the McKenzie Arena managers that make the money and I bet the TSSAA has to pay them rent for the use of their building or something like that. It might also somehow be better for the press and media coverage to have a shorter tournament. ??? Just guessing.

But, as shehateme pointed out, there is some dead time at the tournament like during the breaks and stuff so it seems like we would have some time to spare.

It would take more mat time. But the way it is now we have so much time between session that it would more than enough mat time to go double elimination. Some may say what about ref's? We have enought ref's to do it. What about mats? All we have to do is to wait on taking some of the mats up from the floor! Plenty of mats!

As a retired coach that coached for 27 years and was against the split. My son won the state before the split and I know how much it meant to him and to me to know that he was the best in the state at his weight class. He was also the first state champion that had to will 5 matches. He had a pig-tail match.

We always say that we there for the kids. I believe most coaches and parents are there for the kids and they would love to see a kid that got a bad break in his draw in the bracket, or had a bad match be able to recover and still place in the state tournment. Only one wrestler can be state champ per weight class but there is a lot of honor and reward for a hard working kid to place in the state!

Why not finally do the double elimination state tournament and finally give the kids a chance to fight and earn there

medal instead some of the kids getting a medal due to the luck of where they were placed in the bracket instead or earning it!!!!

Like Forrest Gump that's all I have got to say about that!!

• 2 weeks later...