EARLY SEASON REGION 4 5A THOUGHTS

82cat

After 2 games it is still not clear how this region will shake out. I don't think the 1st 2 weeks have shown us anything.

I guess you could call this the "but" and "so" list

WC - not picked very high beat a mt juliet team picked to be a playoff team in the region --but-- mt juliet would not be a playoff team in region 4 5a -- so -- that really doesn't tell you anything

siegel - lost 2 smyrna and rolled on glencliff --but-- smyrna is a good team and glencliff is an awful team -- so -- that really doesn't tell you anything

lebanon - beat gallatin at gallatin -- but -- gallatin lost 43 seniors from last year and is in a rebuilding year --so -- that doesn't tell you anything

oakland - played riverdale tough and beat coffee county -- but -- riverdales offense sputtered and coffe county would not be a playoff team in region 4-- so -- that deosn't tell you anything

blackman - lost tough game to lavergne beat lincoln county -- but -- Lavergne had several to's and still won and lc has been bad and would not be a playoff team in this region -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

lavergne - beat a young blackman team and rolled on hillwood -- but -- blackman has won 3 games in 2 years and hillwood is awful -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

smyrna - handily beat siegel and shut out brentwood -- but -- siegel had 2 punts/kicks blocked and brentwoods offense is terible -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

riverdale - beat oakland and had shutout also beat antioch -- but -- oakland was running a new offense with a new qb and antioch has a new coach and a new system -- so -- that desn't tell you anything

in summary after 2 games I honestly don't have a feel for how the season is going to play out ??? usually by 2 games you have a pretty good idea

we will know friday night around 10:30 who is for real

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have found a rare moment of agreement.

It's very possible that this region will have as many as three playoff caliber teams get left out due to the strength of this region. It's also possible that it's just a mirage and a lot of the teams aren't really that good. So, this post doesn't really tell you anything. It is fun to ponder the possibilities though. For example, could Blackman or Oakland win region 3-5A?

But yes, we will know much more after Friday night.

I really think after friday night we will know who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

Anybody want to take a shot at how this will play out??

I would bet right now this is how most would see the region playing out ---- but --- after friday this could be completely changed

riverdale

smyrna

lebanon

lavergne

oakland

siegel

blackman

wc

riverdale is still looking to prove themselves...it looks like we are starting to gain back our respect from the loss to smyrna last year in the playoffs and people are realizing we are legit as always. the goal for the season obviously is not just to beat smyrna its above and beyond that but until october 26th many wont take us seriously (even if smyrna were to come into that game with a loss) but i am okay with that, smyrna has the benefit of the doubt.

back to the region in general, i have changed the way i think it will shake out:

Riverdale

Smyrna

Lavergne

Blackman

Oakland

Lebanon

Siegel

Wilson Central

none of these teams were "easy" to place anywhere but lebanon and lavergne were hard picks to make...i could see them sliding down, flip flop, OR even sliding up

Cat, I disagree. I think CC WILL be a playoff team in their region. On the radio, Jeff Jordan even thinks they may win their region. I do know that traditonally their region is considered weaker than ours.....but they run the wingt with precision there. Who do you think will make it instead of them then?? Cookeville and who else? Surely you don't think Cumberland Cty who was beaten by Stone Memorial a 3A school, or Franklin Cty who are winless right now after losing to WC and a 4A school?

Cat, I disagree. I think CC WILL be a playoff team in their region. On the radio, Jeff Jordan even thinks they may win their region. I do know that traditonally their region is considered weaker than ours.....but they run the wingt with precision there. Who do you think will make it instead of them then?? Cookeville and who else? Surely you don't think Cumberland Cty who was beaten by Stone Memorial a 3A school, or Franklin Cty who are winless right now after losing to WC and a 4A school?

In our region is what I meant

but I still believe my over all point is valid

I just don't know how good anybody is but----- I think after friday we will