EARLY SEASON REGION 4 5A THOUGHTS

82cat

I agree that no one in the region has proved themselves as a powerhouse. As of right now I would pick Riverdale, Smyrna, Lebanon, Blackman. (no order)

However even after last week's shutout of LC I still pose a few questions about Blackman:

1. Can the offense produce the points to win against R'dale, Smyrna, Oakland?

Even though BHS shutout LC that game should have easily been 35-0.

2. If Blackman falls behind can they tough it out and comeback?

3. Does Blackman's line have what it takes to play 4 very physical quarters?

4. Can the defense stop the pass? (didn't do to well against Lavernge)

5. Can Blackman protect the football?

All of these questions I guess will be answered Friday night when the Blaze take on Riverdale.

Go Blaze!

And Let's See som BLACKMAN PRIDE!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This region is loaded period. What really gets me is that Lincoln Co, Mt Juliet, Gallatin, Coffee Co, and Brentwood will all be in the playoffs. Somebody lost to somebody who is not going to get in. My early season favs are Lebanon(bias), Smyrna (way too much firepower), Riverdale(just on recent past but could get upset) Oakland(getting better).

After 2 games it is still not clear how this region will shake out. I don't think the 1st 2 weeks have shown us anything.

I guess you could call this the "but" and "so" list

WC - not picked very high beat a mt juliet team picked to be a playoff team in the region --but-- mt juliet would not be a playoff team in region 4 5a -- so -- that really doesn't tell you anything

siegel - lost 2 smyrna and rolled on glencliff --but-- smyrna is a good team and glencliff is an awful team -- so -- that really doesn't tell you anything

lebanon - beat gallatin at gallatin -- but -- gallatin lost 43 seniors from last year and is in a rebuilding year --so -- that doesn't tell you anything

oakland - played riverdale tough and beat coffee county -- but -- riverdales offense sputtered and coffe county would not be a playoff team in region 4-- so -- that deosn't tell you anything

blackman - lost tough game to lavergne beat lincoln county -- but -- Lavergne had several to's and still won and lc has been bad and would not be a playoff team in this region -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

lavergne - beat a young blackman team and rolled on hillwood -- but -- blackman has won 3 games in 2 years and hillwood is awful -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

smyrna - handily beat siegel and shut out brentwood -- but -- siegel had 2 punts/kicks blocked and brentwoods offense is terible -- so -- that doesn't tell you anything

riverdale - beat oakland and had shutout also beat antioch -- but -- oakland was running a new offense with a new qb and antioch has a new coach and a new system -- so -- that desn't tell you anything

in summary after 2 games I honestly don't have a feel for how the season is going to play out ??? usually by 2 games you have a pretty good idea

we will know friday night around 10:30 who is for real

Ok Cat give us an update.................are you really a "cat". It has changed a bit!!

samintheglade

We have a playoff chase that's gonna be fun. The first really big wins of the season have gone to Lavergne and Lebanon.

In two weeks when the next round of region games comes up it will be:

WC at Oakland -- key matchup, loser has a real struggle to stay alive in the playoff race

Lebanon at Lavergne -- winner takes a huge step toward a #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, especially if it's Lebanon

Siegel at Riverdale--Siegel needs an upset to avoid 0-3 region record

Smyrna at Blackman--This is a key matchup with huge playoff/seeding implications

in my opinion heres what was proved friday and where we are right now ( the spaces between are symbolic)

*lebanon/riverdale - both in the best position to win the region would probably give it to lebanon right now just slightly

*lavergne - would bracket with above but their competition level has not been quite as good but with 2 region wins they are in good shape but still have lebanon smyrna and riverdale ahead not to mention wc

*smyrna - obvioulsy I still think smyrna is very good but with a region loss they have put themselves in a hole

*wc vastly improved but siegel is now oficially awful

oakland/blackman - 2 region losses really hurt must now win 4 of 5 to make playoffs and both still face smyrna and lebanon not a judgement on eithers talent but 2 losses are tough to overcome

siegel - done, stick a fork in em their done and shouldn't be they have the talent

At his point I don't think anything has been settled. Everybody and that includes Riverdale/Smyrna/Lebanon, better be focused on getting to the playoffs. There are more upsets coming and nobody is guranteed a spot yet. All four seeds in the playoffs could be decided in week 10:

Riverdale-Lavergne

Smyrna-WC

Oakland-Blackman

Lebanon-Siegel

I could definitely see Riverdale, Smyrna, Lebanon, and Lavergne playing for one of the top two seeds that night.

There are seven pretty darn good teams in this region right now.

in my opinion heres what was proved friday and where we are right now ( the spaces between are symbolic)

*lebanon/riverdale - both in the best position to win the region would probably give it to lebanon right now just slightly

*lavergne - would bracket with above but their competition level has not been quite as good but with 2 region wins they are in good shape but still have lebanon smyrna and riverdale ahead not to mention wc

*smyrna - obvioulsy I still think smyrna is very good but with a region loss they have put themselves in a hole

*wc vastly improved but siegel is now oficially awful

oakland/blackman - 2 region losses really hurt must now win 4 of 5 to make playoffs and both still face smyrna and lebanon not a judgement on eithers talent but 2 losses are tough to overcome

siegel - done, stick a fork in em their done and shouldn't be they have the talent

I agree with you except I think the "fork" is also hanging out of Blackman. I do think they are better this year, but the schedule is really very tough and it is not over yet. They face Brentwood (apparently down a bit, but still a good program); if they lose to Brentwood and then Smyrna. It is over for them!

I said we would be improved this year and "whew" I am glad I was not wrong (I still have pieces of foot in mouth from last season). I think there are 6 left to fill the 4 spots. This is one tough region!!

samiam