Bands Playing While Game Is Going On

CallMeTheBreeze

Do you know where football was orginally played? The parade or marching grounds where the band practiced and performed. Football and band have been together from the begining. When I go to a game I want the total package, i.e. running, passing, blocking and tackling, band playing, cheerleaders cheering, over priced concessions, yelling at referees etc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a game the other night and the coach could not communicate with his players on the field because the band was so loud. It was his own team's band. He even turned around and made a motion for them to be quite.

It depends on the band and how close they are to the field. This band was VERY loud. It was effecting play.

I was at a game the other night and the coach could not communicate with his players on the field because the band was so loud. It was his own team's band. He even turned around and made a motion for them to be quite.

It depends on the band and how close they are to the field. This band was VERY loud. It was effecting play.

[Last Friday night at jackson northside brighton had forced a three and out and northside was preparing to punt while the brighton band was playing. THey were penalized and Northside recieved a first down. It just doesnt seem right to me, seems like there shouldve been a warning.

I think that the bands do bring a lot to the atmosphere of a game. I don't mind them playing pre or post game or during halftime, between quarters and such. I don't mind it if they want to play between plays. However, during the play the band should be quiet I feel.

I thought that there was a rule (and I am probably wrong on this) that basically said that the band must be quiet after the ready to play whistle sounded. I remember our team quite a few years ago being told by the official to shut the band up during the play or else receive a penalty for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I played in the Maryville Rebel band just a few years ago, and our director was really strict about playing during a play. According to him, if a coach complained, it was considered a warning. If the band didn't seem to get the hint, their team could be penalized. Whether it was true or not, I wouldn't know, we never took the risk.

But I do know that the players seemed to really appreciate the band. The defense took "Iron Man" as a theme song and/or motivator. I guess it depends on the team.

The comments within the 3rd & 4th posts (page 1 on this same topic) do a great job explaining the rule / mechanics / procedures that would likely be used by officials in the State of Tennessee.

A player / coach should inform an offical if a "loud" band is hampering his team's ability to communicate. This will likely initiate additional action(s) from the officials.

However, I don't know of a rule to cover a band attempting to harm communications with its own team. In this case, a coach would very likely have "a conversation" with his school's band director. Wow - is this becoming an issue - a band hampering communications with its own team?

The comments within the 3rd & 4th posts (page 1 on this same topic) do a great job explaining the rule / mechanics / procedures that would likely be used by officials in the State of Tennessee.

A player / coach should inform an offical if a "loud" band is hampering his team's ability to communicate. This will likely initiate additional action(s) from the officials.

However, I don't know of a rule to cover a band attempting to harm communications with its own team. In this case, a coach would very likely have "a conversation" with his school's band director. Wow - is this becoming an issue - a band hampering communications with its own team?

I don't know if any are intentional. I think most come from ignorace, or arrogance, of some band directors. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Are there any rules regarding bands playing during a game especially while the opposing offense is running a play?

How about air horns, like the kind in trucks? We sat on the top row of the visitor's side & couldn't hear each other talk. Bands, ducks calls and cow bells are one thing. That thing was beyond ridiculous!

How about air horns, like the kind in trucks? We sat on the top row of the visitor's side & couldn't hear each other talk. Bands, ducks calls and cow bells are one thing. That thing was beyond ridiculous!

You think that is ridiculous. I think it was either my sophomore year or my junior year in high school I remember Portland having that stupid train horn. The night before our game some of our football players went over and stole it. Of course the coach knew it was someone at our school. Anyways we thought we got rid of that big honking thing and it turns out they had another one put up before the game that night. Now this year I noticed Smith Co. has one. Come on Owls just stick to the fireworks!!!