V-T Game

bigpoppa31

well... what sealed the deal for me was (the jitterbug feet in the pocket and the questionable choices with the ball and lack of accuracy) 90% of the time there was no rush to speak of. Just plain and simple Mason just has a cooler head under pressure. granted he is a little more experenced , but not by alot.

Don,t get this wrong I am not slamming Taylor by any means, he just needs a little more seasoning. Everything just seems to flow better with Mason, the timing of the offence is better, I mean anytime you have two diffrent cadence there are going to be more penaltys it can,t be helped... well mabye it can ,but never the less the get my meaning. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

And Cap... yes the the play calling..well you and I both know Stubbs ball is all about field position and Defence....like it or not it seems to work 90% time. But like you I believe this team could or should be a quick strike Offence if wanted. Time will tell... im just glad it was the bearcats and not south or the Hill we were playing last night that would have been ugly /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

That's what we mean by offense generated and a whole lot more. Many variables go into offense generated and Canty is getting it and the other is not. Still Coach may have some secret plans. He might even disguise some defenses and go tight man here and there. There has been receivers in the past that have hurt us with their height. Would like to see some well executed last second all-out blitzes and tough, tight man coverage here and there against certain qbs and receivers. Who knows?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what we mean by offense generated and a whole lot more. Many variables go into offense generated and Canty is getting it and the other is not. Still Coach may have some secret plans. He might even disguise some defenses and go tight man here and there. There has been receivers in the past that have hurt us with their height. Would like to see some well executed last second all-out blitzes and tough, tight man coverage here and there against certain qbs and receivers. Who knows?

That would be nice..I mean we its not like our DBs are not physical..the only blitzing i saw last night was a gap run blitz...not good on a pitch.. 4 almost broke that one. But i agree we need to be more agressive in our play calling on both sides..but like you said there mabye some stuff coming we don,t know about yet , as it should be I guess. Because Stubbs is pretty shrewd at times. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

That would be nice..I mean we its not like our DBs are not physical..the only blitzing i saw last night was a gap run blitz...not good on a pitch.. 4 almost broke that one. But i agree we need to be more agressive in our play calling on both sides..but like you said there mabye some stuff coming we don,t know about yet , as it should be I guess. Because Stubbs is pretty shrewd at times.

Yes, Coach Hundley was a good teacher and he could be positively coy sometimes and Stubbs doesn't seem to be saying much but he's almost bound to have something up his sleve and or see's something down the road.

The only reason they are playing Taylor is because of how "involved" his parents are in the Athletic Department at THS...if u get my drift...

Don't get me wrong, hes a great kid, BUT not a great quarterback right now at all.

You can easily tell the Junior/Senior starters like Mason more too. I dont mean to diss Taylor but its the truth. You could see that out there Saturday night.

Stubbs and Proffitt better get this worked out this week because no one will be messing around in the game AFTER this coming week -- THS at Science Hill.

Vikes better get it together...

Roll Vikes Roll

The only reason they are playing Taylor is because of how "involved" his parents are in the Athletic Department at THS...if u get my drift...

Don't get me wrong, hes a great kid, BUT not a great quarterback right now at all.

You can easily tell the Junior/Senior starters like Mason more too. I dont mean to diss Taylor but its the truth. You could see that out there Saturday night.

Stubbs and Proffitt better get this worked out this week because no one will be messing around in the game AFTER this coming week -- THS at Science Hill.

Roll Vikes Roll

That's what we thought after the DB game but we didn't know if Coach had something special for Canty on offense and defense to mess up the other teams. However, Taylor has made little progress if any and it's time for Canty to take nearly all the snaps in practice and told he is running the team period.

Roll Vikes Roll

That's what we thought after the DB game but we didn't know if Coach had something special for Canty on offense and defense to mess up the other teams. However, Taylor has made little progress if any and it's time for Canty to take nearly all the snaps in practice and told he is running the team period. Time is short and Taylor unfortunately is just not ready.

Actually cap it has been S.O.P. to let the more senior player start at THS since Powers, Keller, Crop, Dotson, and Hundley except when there is a decided edge. Also, Canty stepped into the West game early in the 1st series and continued the drive into the red zone when the qb got speared in the side of the head proving he could step into a bad situation in a huge game. He also led them on at least 3 more trips to the red zone and a few mini drives. The other qb has no such feathers in his cap. Flash forward to this season and Canty is at the helm for 80 or 90% of the offense generated in the DB game despite alternating on every series. At that point scoring a point for senority and time in the system, a point for proven leadership in a big game, and a point for actual offense generated and it's 3 to nothing or on a ten point must system it's 30 to 5 or so. Taylor may have potential but he would have to have that decided edge in a game. Canty should have taken most of the practice snaps after the DB game as he won the job in that game. If there still was doubt, the 1st series of the east game with Canty and a good drive and the 2nd drive with 3 procedure penalties in a row to begin should have sealed it at that point. Taylor simply isn't ready yet despite his potential. Last night was the same. We did not comment on this [at first] because we did not want to add controversey and there still is a disclaimer because the coach may have talked to them and may be trying to get the younger qb game ready with a plan to use Canty in a receiver position. Time is getting critical though.

Let me first say that even before the season started I felt that Mason was the clear cut starter for the 07'

season...he being the upper classman was a factor but there were others such as experience, and his natural athleticism. After seeing them both in the preseason scrimmages my mind started to shift because of the performances from both. Simple put...Taylor just seemed to want it more and I didn't see the same effort from Mason. Believe it or not I felt that Taylor had the better game against DB. OVER 100 of Masons 171 yards came for two desperation passes (I stop short of saying hail marys) in which the receivers both made great plays to convert...one was the last play of the game (about a 35 yrd or better catch by Turmbell and the 71 yrd TD by Young). He was 6-14 (if my math is right that's 43%) Taylor was 4-5 for 28 yrd (and that would be 80%) and remember the coaches call the plays. In the East game It was obvious to everyone in the stadium who was more affective...of-course everyone that is but you. In fact the coaches obviously noticed it also and played Taylor in back to back series...something that hadn't been done up to that point and hasn't been don't since! By the way...we finally scored on one of those two series. Some say that there were several illegal persuader penalties while Taylor was in the game but I think that is just cheesy and doesn't even merit a response. I do know that one play stands out in my mind and has allot of weight in my opinion and that is the fumbled pitch to Baker in-which Mason did not attempt to fall on. Anyone who was at the game knows what I'm talking about!! This last game Mason clearly had the better game. But I will argue that while Taylor does seem to be more conservative the play were he looked as if he was sure to be thrown for a huge lost he ran to the sideline and at the last second throw the ball to the grown out of bounds in order not to take the sack. Now be honest...who on here knew that was a legal move...I didn't. No receiver anywhere in sight and he throws the ball at the ground. And how about the ball fake on the QB sneak that even fooled the refs so bad they blew the play dead thinking the RB had the ball before Taylor was even touched. If you have a myopic point of view of the situation and are just going by stats alone Mason is the hands down winner...but if you have been to the games and the scrimmages you would easily see my point. Just incase I was way off on this I consulted in a couple of people about how they felt. One was at both the DB and the East games and the other only saw the East game. Without them knowing how I felt about the situation they both answered "it's not even close". I might add that both would prefer to see Mason as the THS QB but admit that he has been out performed up till the VT game. I respect the opinion of both.

Roll Vikes Roll

I don't think a "W" is guaranteed if the Vikes mess around this Friday either.

Let me first say that even before the season started I felt that Mason was the clear cut starter for the 07'

season...he being the upper classman was a factor but there were others such as experience, and his natural athleticism. After seeing them both in the preseason scrimmages my mind started to shift because of the performances from both. Simple put...Taylor just seemed to want it more and I didn't see the same effort from Mason. Believe it or not I felt that Taylor had the better game against DB. OVER 100 of Masons 171 yards came for two desperation passes (I stop short of saying hail marys) in which the receivers both made great plays to convert...one was the last play of the game (about a 35 yrd or better catch by Turmbell and the 71 yrd TD by Young). He was 6-14 (if my math is right that's 43%) Taylor was 4-5 for 28 yrd (and that would be 80%) and remember the coaches call the plays. In the East game It was obvious to everyone in the stadium who was more affective...of-course everyone that is but you. In fact the coaches obviously noticed it also and played Taylor in back to back series...something that hadn't been done up to that point and hasn't been don't since! By the way...we finally scored on one of those two series. Some say that there were several illegal persuader penalties while Taylor was in the game but I think that is just cheesy and doesn't even merit a response. I do know that one play stands out in my mind and has allot of weight in my opinion and that is the fumbled pitch to Baker in-which Mason did not attempt to fall on. Anyone who was at the game knows what I'm talking about!! This last game Mason clearly had the better game. But I will argue that while Taylor does seem to be more conservative the play were he looked as if he was sure to be thrown for a huge lost he ran to the sideline and at the last second throw the ball to the grown out of bounds in order not to take the sack. Now be honest...who on here knew that was a legal move...I didn't. No receiver anywhere in sight and he throws the ball at the ground. And how about the ball fake on the QB sneak that even fooled the refs so bad they blew the play dead thinking the RB had the ball before Taylor was even touched. If you have a myopic point of view of the situation and are just going by stats alone Mason is the hands down winner...but if you have been to the games and the scrimmages you would easily see my point. Just incase I was way off on this I consulted in a couple of people about how they felt. One was at both the DB and the East games and the other only saw the East game. Without them knowing how I felt about the situation they both answered "it's not even close". I might add that both would prefer to see Mason as the THS QB but admit that he has been out performed up till the VT game. I respect the opinion of both.

cap.we are more than a few. We don't feel those were desperation passes or hail mary's. Hail Mary's are passes that are up for grabs by anyone on the field. The T.D. pass was to a well-covered receiver and thrown to a spot[the only spot it could be and be caught] and the receiver was in tune with Canty and made an excellent break on the ball and both took advantage of the defender who was turned running with the receiver. It was a smart throw made all the time by both college and pro teams. The last play of the game was thrown right to the receiver, also fairly well covered. Your charactization of these as hail mary's is ridiculous, they were thrown to well-covered receivers and thrown to a spot where the receivers could make a break on the ball. Any other spot and the defenders would have broke up the play. You actually destroyed your on position on this because this demonstrated that the qb and receivers had a chemistry going which is critically important to an offense and many a famous pro have utilized this exact same technique many times. Dan Marino and Mark Duper won many a game with this. Now let's go back to who was at qb on the drive to open the same game. Canty. Who was qb during any of the drives. I might also mention that a college scout was impressed with the chemistry of Canty and the receivers on those plays and so was a local area sports personality. Finally, most of offense generated in the game was when Canty was at qb. So our feelings are based on fact not some mystery opinion. Now we move on to east. Canty is the qb on the opening drive deep into East territory. The other qb lost yardage on the next series with miscues before the play could get off. These are facts, not cheese and once again the offense generated in the 1st half was generated with Canty at qb. There was no offense to speak of generated otherwise and in fact it may have been negative yardage overall as the miscues continued with the other qb. Next you made another foul comment about Canty on the fumble which was untrue. The defensive player made a good play and intentionally went after the ball and headed to the ground and covered it before there was chance of Canty reacting. He should have gotten two hands on the ball before the defender got there but that was a mistake, not your derogatory comment. Talk about swiss cheese. He was punished for it although it was obvious to us that the team executed far better with Canty at qb. Once again these are simple facts and not some foggy opinion based on absoulutely nothing. Some were hollering on the sideline during the 1st half to keep canty in because of the constant miscues, so your comments in this area are ludricrous also. The team either has chemistry or it doesn't. By the way everybody that knows football knows when the qb is outside the original confines of the lineman he can throw it away, particularly when well outside of them. Finally, when one qb has generated most of the offense generated then it is impossible to fathom your opinions or your experts. Finally, the only reason we posted was to let Canty know he had support from the old guard and that we appreciate him from the west game on and actually know football and are fair minded and go for the man that the offense actually produces with. Canty produced the drives in the db game, produced twice the drives in the east game [and would have produced the touchdown drive you spoke of if given the chance] and care about facts, not opinion and some of us have been to all the games, know scouts and are former players from 50yrs. ago on up to 20 yrs. ago. West by 17 over jc. We don't care to comment any further on this. Misrepresentations led to this but we don't want to add to the controversy. Actually there's a couple a little over 10 yrs. ago, and a couple on the boards much recent.

cap.we are more than a few. We don't feel those were desperation passes or hail mary's. Hail Mary's are passes that are up for grabs by anyone on the field. The T.D. pass was to a well-covered receiver and thrown to a spot[the only spot it could be and be caught] and the receiver was in tune with Canty and made an excellent break on the ball and both took advantage of the defender who was turned running with the receiver. It was a smart throw made all the time by both college and pro teams. The last play of the game was thrown right to the receiver, also fairly well covered. Your charactization of these as hail mary's is ridiculous, they were thrown to well-covered receivers and thrown to a spot where the receivers could make a break on the ball. Any other spot and the defenders would have broke up the play. You actually destroyed your on position on this because this demonstrated that the qb and receivers had a chemistry going which is critically important to an offense and many a famous pro have utilized this exact same technique many times. Dan Marino and Mark Duper won many a game with this. Now let's go back to who was at qb on the drive to open the same game. Canty. Who was qb during any of the drives. I might also mention that a college scout was impressed with the chemistry of Canty and the receivers on those plays and so was a local area sports personality. Finally, most of offense generated in the game was when Canty was at qb. So our feelings are based on fact not some mystery opinion. Now we move on to east. Canty is the qb on the opening drive deep into East territory. The other qb lost yardage on the next series with miscues before the play could get off. These are facts, not cheese and once again the offense generated in the 1st half was generated with Canty at qb. There was no offense to speak of generated otherwise and in fact it may have been negative yardage overall as the miscues continued with the other qb. Next you made another foul comment about Canty on the fumble which was untrue. The defensive player made a good play and intentionally went after the ball and headed to the ground and covered it before there was chance of Canty reacting. He should have gotten two hands on the ball before the defender got there but that was a mistake, not your derogatory comment. Talk about swiss cheese. He was punished for it although it was obvious to us that the team executed far better with Canty at qb. Once again these are simple facts and not some foggy opinion based on absoulutely nothing. Some were hollering on the sideline during the 1st half to keep canty in because of the constant miscues, so your comments in this area are ludricrous also. The team either has chemistry or it doesn't. By the way everybody that knows football knows when the qb is outside the original confines of the lineman he can throw it away, particularly when well outside of them. Finally, when one qb has generated most of the offense generated then it is impossible to fathom your opinions or your experts. Finally, the only reason we posted was to let Canty know he had support from the old guard and that we appreciate him from the west game on and actually know football and are fair minded and go for the man that the offense actually produces with. Canty produced the drives in the db game, produced twice the drives in the east game [and would have produced the touchdown drive you spoke of if given the chance] and care about facts, not opinion and some of us have been to all the games, know scouts and are former players from 50yrs. ago on up to 20 yrs. ago. West by 17 over jc. We don't care to comment any further on this. Misrepresentations led to this but we don't want to add to the controversy. Actually there's a couple a little over 10 yrs. ago, and a couple on the boards much recent.

MARK……..is that you!!!!!? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Just kidding. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Let me say once again that I would love to see M as our signal caller…but more than that I want to see the team have the bets chance possible for success. You mentioned that there were people on here that were players of 10, 20, and even 50 year ago (at least that’s what I think you were babbling on about). Well….you MUST be from the 50 year old group because (no offence) but, if that is how you saw the East game then not only are you slightly senile but your sight is obviously fading. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Seriously…you have yours and I have mine, but one of our opinions (and regardless of how much knowledge you THINK you have…that’s all it is) are VERY clouded…as in cataracts over your eyes clouded!! As I have said before…either would be better than both. I could really care less which one…just give one or the other an opportunity to marry the offense! By the way….at the end of your post you were referring to yourself as WE….you might want to get that check out. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

MARK??..is that you!!!!!? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Just kidding. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Let me say once again that I would love to see M as our signal caller?but more than that I want to see the team have the bets chance possible for success. You mentioned that there were people on here that were players of 10, 20, and even 50 year ago (at least that?s what I think you were babbling on about). Well?.you MUST be from the 50 year old group because (no offence) but, if that is how you saw the East game then not only are you slightly senile but your sight is obviously fading. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Seriously?you have yours and I have mine, but one of our opinions (and regardless of how much knowledge you THINK you have?that?s all it is) are VERY clouded?as in cataracts over your eyes clouded!! As I have said before?either would be better than both. I could really care less which one?just give one or the other an opportunity to marry the offense! By the way?.at the end of your post you were referring to yourself as WE?.you might want to get that check out. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Come on guys lets be civil...never thought...I would be saying that. but ..I heard today that taylor sustained a pretty bad concussion(how ever you spell it) monday..any truth to that... hope not .

MARK……..is that you!!!!!? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Just kidding. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Let me say once again that I would love to see M as our signal caller…but more than that I want to see the team have the bets chance possible for success. You mentioned that there were people on here that were players of 10, 20, and even 50 year ago (at least that’s what I think you were babbling on about). Well….you MUST be from the 50 year old group because (no offence) but, if that is how you saw the East game then not only are you slightly senile but your sight is obviously fading. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Seriously…you have yours and I have mine, but one of our opinions (and regardless of how much knowledge you THINK you have…that’s all it is) are VERY clouded…as in cataracts over your eyes clouded!! As I have said before…either would be better than both. I could really care less which one…just give one or the other an opportunity to marry the offense! By the way….at the end of your post you were referring to yourself as WE….you might want to get that check out. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Reread the post. The 50 to 20 yrs, ago refers to us that post under this name. The other board posters are referred to separately in a seperate sentence and we noticed that you jumped on them too. We confer and although one writes the post it is by concensus. We rarely post, never make predictions, never bragg, and never trash a program. We have been gone so long from the program that we are emotionally detached and also consider ourselves purists. We don't have a dog in the fight. We get the impression that the other posters are 10 yrs. and less out of the program and we don't know them. Yes some of us are old. I have 2 seeing eye dogs and a wheelchair with a honda moter and that has a nitrous button. There is a dozen of us locally and many more out of state however it is the locals that decide when, where and what we post. There is generally 6 of us at a game but almost always there is at least 2 of us at a game. There was a long drive on the first series and a shorter drive at the end of the 1st. half. Canty was the qb on both and there were no other drives in the first half and although he made mistakes at the end of them he had the chemistry with the team to produce those drives. But we don't want rehash this because of the controversy and this seems to be more about you than anything else. Your west, johnson city was way off so it is obvious you make serious misjudements yet anyone that dares to disagree with you incurs emotional wrath. We had a long talk this evening and regret a short post that we made. We just have that feeling that the coach has long range plans for Canty on offense and defense where he can make a big impact on both and are hoping that Taylor will make strides quickly. The post we made wanted Canty to start and stay out there. But we pose this question; is it critical that we beat jc? Would it be more important to develop Taylor at qb and Canty as a receiver on offense and a smart defensive player that can read the qb and step in front of a receiver on a slant in when the qb thinks we're blitzing? We pose to you that in the south game and the playoffs if they develop, the team will be a more dangerous team. Food for thought!! Oh by the way, just kiddig about the dogs and the chair. Once again we want to remind you that we posted to let Canty know that we respected him, appreciated him, and supported him while knowing the prevailing opinion and felt he deserved that support.