Science Hill @ Morristown West

topvol98

How does this game play out?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How does this game play out?

Burke-Toney Stadium is probably the best facility in Region 2-4A. The visitor side bleachers, while not as high, are fantastic for watching a game.

Don't over look Morristown West boys. Coach Don Woods' team may be a little down this year, but their defense plays hard to the ball, and their offense loves to chew up clock.

They have a good senior QB who can quickly break a game open with a deep pass. He is very adept at running the option, executing a play action pass, and generally avoiding troublesome situations.

They have a trio of running backs who will all see playing time.

Defensively, they have a very experienced linebacking corps, and the OLBs can switch very quickly to DEs to make a five-down front. They base out of a 3-4...but sometimes they go to a 5-2 just before the snap, causing confusion for inexperienced QBs.

There is no way SHHS is not taking M-W seriously. M-W has always been known for their strength, good coaching and always at least one very good running back. I can??™t remember the last time a Coach Woods team was 1-2 to start off the season. I am sure he will have them ready and I am sure he will have them rolling as your season goes into conference play.

My concern is our offense, which in the first two games showed to be pass happy in one and run happy in the other. So I am kinda waiting to see what Coach Smith is going to do in this one. I am not at all concerned with our defense, which is very stout.

I heard the artificial turf is the same as Carson-Newman??™s?

Good luck to Morristown West and lets pray for an injury free game

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard mixed reviews from players about the turf. But most of them have only played on turf a couple of times if that much. Turf definitely looks awesome at Burke-Toney and was much needed because of all the use the field gets.

As far as going to the stadium, I always turn off just before the red light and go into the church parking lot to park. It's only about a hundred or hundred and fifty yards to the ticket booth. As soon as you enter the stadium you are on the visitor side. Sit high enough to where the walkway doesn't block your view. Good place to watch a game. I like the visitor side seating better because the sun is in your eyes early in the game from the home side.

Good luck to both teams but I think West wins this one, 28 - 24 . I believe West shook the cobwebs last week and are prepared for the rest of the season, plus I don't think they have won on the new turf yet??

Burke-Toney Stadium is probably the best facility in Region 2-4A. The visitor side bleachers, while not as high, are fantastic for watching a game.

Don't over look Morristown West boys. Coach Don Woods' team may be a little down this year, but their defense plays hard to the ball, and their offense loves to chew up clock.

They have a good senior QB who can quickly break a game open with a deep pass. He is very adept at running the option, executing a play action pass, and generally avoiding troublesome situations.

They have a trio of running backs who will all see playing time.

Defensively, they have a very experienced linebacking corps, and the OLBs can switch very quickly to DEs to make a five-down front. They base out of a 3-4...but sometimes they go to a 5-2 just before the snap, causing confusion for inexperienced QBs.

This will be another step forward for both teams. Neither team is at their best yet . If the West runners

take care of the ball West will put points on the board. The receivers have to catch balls that hit them

in the chest. If they do these things I look for M-W winning by more than 7.

This game will feature alot of atheletes. I think it will all come down to how well West can stop Duanah. If the make SH one demensional, SH will be in trouble. When Moeast scrimmaged SH, they took away the run after the first series and SH struggled from there on. I know SH is better than then and has made improvements but just based on what I have seen and from hearing that West has struggled a bit against the run, that would be my key to this game.

This game will feature alot of atheletes. I think it will all come down to how well West can stop Duanah. If the make SH one demensional, SH will be in trouble. When Moeast scrimmaged SH, they took away the run after the first series and SH struggled from there on. I know SH is better than then and has made improvements but just based on what I have seen and from hearing that West has struggled a bit against the run, that would be my key to this game.

I'm not so sure that the run was taken away from SHHS in that scrimmage as much as the coaching staff left the run. This game is going to go along way in determining what kind of season that Science Hill will have, we have to be competitive or dominating offensively. The defense has more than held up it's end and it's time for the offense to start producing drives.....ie convert third downs. The eaisest way is to produce on first down. I expect West to stack the box and attack the middle of the offensive line. We will either need to get the ball to the edges by passing or getting the running backs outside. Both of these tasks will be difficult if our offensive lines are not able to handle the pressure. Getting the ball to the edges will help soften up the middle and allow the whole play book to be utilized. With all the reports of West having trouble against the run and Science Hill's lack of production in the passing game, getting the football outside of the box will be key to Science Hill's offense keeping the defense off the field resting. I think that the Elizabethton game showed how aggresive and dominating the Topper Defense can be playing with a lead. If the offense can get off to a fast start, I don't think that West will be able to stay within ten points.

I'm not so sure that the run was taken away from SHHS in that scrimmage as much as the coaching staff left the run. This game is going to go along way in determining what kind of season that Science Hill will have, we have to be competitive or dominating offensively. The defense has more than held up it's end and it's time for the offense to start producing drives.....ie convert third downs. The eaisest way is to produce on first down. I expect West to stack the box and attack the middle of the offensive line. We will either need to get the ball to the edges by passing or getting the running backs outside. Both of these tasks will be difficult if our offensive lines are not able to handle the pressure. Getting the ball to the edges will help soften up the middle and allow the whole play book to be utilized. With all the reports of West having trouble against the run and Science Hill's lack of production in the passing game, getting the football outside of the box will be key to Science Hill's offense keeping the defense off the field resting. I think that the Elizabethton game showed how aggresive and dominating the Topper Defense can be playing with a lead. If the offense can get off to a fast start, I don't think that West will be able to stay within ten points.

IMO, good reasoning to use Hill. I'm sure both will be utilized. Many eyes on this game.

Rain all day. The turf drains very well. There is about 8 inches of rock under the turf. Should not be very slippery at all. Good luck and stay safe.

Don't think the rain favors either team. Mo West with turnover issues in first two games and the Hill with the spread. Believe that Science Hill with a solid defence and improving offence takes this one by 10.

The new stands (a decade plus old) tower over the field. Very impressive and the end zone walls seem more like an old fort than a stadium. Visitors side bleachers are not that many rows but set well enough off the ground for good vision. They run the length of the Stadium pretty well. The field is new style turf and the popcorn is excellent. You can pay to park in front the school (I do) and besides the stadium parking there is a nice church parking lot near the stadium as well. Go Toppers.

The "new" stadium was built for the 1990 season. The wall at the east side of the stadium and the concession stands at that end are the only things left from the old friendly confines of Burke-Toney, except the sign from the old stadium sitting in the southeast corner of the stadium. My old National Guard unit tore down the old stadium at the end of my junior year of school. The contractors were pushed hard to finish and my senior year my parents had to wait till the workers finished tightening up the bleachers before they were allowed to sit down!

As far as popcorn......it is apparent to me that old wrestling coaches seem to be the experts!

The old BT stadium had to go. We killed a rat in the locker room once that looked like a small dog. No hot water,poor lighting and when it rained, we had about an inch of water on the locker room floor. The home locker room was where the restrooms are at on the visitor side. The stadium is really nice now and should only get better from what I hear. I understand they are putting in new lights next year and it would not hurt to add more seating.