Best football player in TN History?

doakfsu1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not one of the top 5, James Layman of Sevier Co. is an interesting player. Top Offensive Line prospect in the nation in 1990. Went on to have a successful career at UT and was drafted by the then Oilers. I believe he went on to play 4 or 5 seasons for Jeff Fisher.

I believe your confusing Jason Layman and James Bates first names. Which brings up a couple of more. The Bates brothers; James and Jeremy. James a great career at U of F and Jeremy first at UT then finishing at Rice (now coaching in the NFL I believe).

I believe your confusing Jason Layman and James Bates first names. Which brings up a couple of more. The Bates brothers; James and Jeremy. James a great career at U of F and Jeremy first at UT then finishing at Rice (now coaching in the NFL I believe).

A couple of follow up comments. Jeremy is coaching in the NFL. He is the Denver Broncos quaterbacks and wide receivers coach. As for James, he was defensive captain on U of F's 1996 National Championship team.

As far as the best players who played HS ball in Tennessee, it would have to be Doug Adkins, John Hannah, and Reggie White. They are in Pro Football Hall of Fame - enough said.

John Hannah (Baylor - 1968) is not known well by most people because he played at prep school at that time, not TSSAA. I played against him and he was a man among boys. He was also the NATIONAL HS wrestling champion, which was something that was awarded in that day.

He is in Pro Football Hall of Fame, made All-Pro 10 times.

TODD COLLINS- Class of 1988

Parade all-american 1st team, USA Today All-American 1st team, USA Today National Defensive player of the year, ESPN clas of '88 top 12, Super prep national player of the year, Adidas all-american 1st team, Max Emfinger all-americam 1st team, BFS all-american 1st team 1986 & 1987,BFS athlete of the year, Collegiate sports all-american 1st team, Orlando Sentinel Dixie Dozen 1st team, Lindy's magazine all-south 1st team, TSSAA Mr football Class AAA player of the year, Tennessee prep player of the year Lawerenceburg quarterback club, East Tennessee player of the year, #1 player propect in the state, Knoxville Journal, Nashville Banner, Tennesseean, Memphis Commercial appeal, # 1 player propect in the nation,Atlanta Journal-Constitution;UPI and AP 1st tean all state 1986 &1987, all upper east tennessee 1st team LB and TE 1986 & 1987, all upper east tennessee defensive player of the year 1987, IMAC player of the year 1987, IMAC 1st team LB and TE all-conference 1986 & 1987.

All-American LB for Carson-Newman Eagles national championship team.

Starting MLB for the New England patriots

Starting MLB for Super bowl champion St. Louis Rams

Played 13 years in the NFL

i agree it has to be reggie white 1st. i definitly like the spirit and style of play hacksaw reynolds brought to the vols but i believe he is from out of state originally. todd collins did some amazing things in the NFL, one playoff run i remember him putting some big hits on the NFL's 2 biggest tailbacks on consecutive weekends. neither back finished the game after the hits. jason wittens is just getting started in the nfl. seems he has taken his game up a notch this season.

i agree it has to be reggie white 1st. i definitly like the spirit and style of play hacksaw reynolds brought to the vols but i believe he is from out of state originally. todd collins did some amazing things in the NFL, one playoff run i remember him putting some big hits on the NFL's 2 biggest tailbacks on consecutive weekends. neither back finished the game after the hits. jason wittens is just getting started in the nfl. seems he has taken his game up a notch this season.

Jason Witten is going to be a super star. He is already the best TE in the NFL.