Best football player in TN History?

doakfsu1

Augielio stated that Ronald Holland was the best player he saw....And he was indeed a man amongst boys....6-3 and 245 and the 100 yd sprint champ in 1977.....The Late Jack Cain put Holland at TB in the fall of 1976 after a being a really good TE.....It was something to see Holland run OVER or AROUND players back then.... He was PRE Herschel Walker/Bo Jackson/Marcus Dupree.....He was the real deal....And was recruited by everyone....But was a thug and ended up being kicked off the team....Ended up at TSU where he paired with Larry Kinnebrew and formed the big 500 backfield because they both weighed over 250 lbs each.....A knee injury robbed Holland of his game...But he has sired some pretty good athletes....Renardo and Ramon Foster, Rodney Carney and Ron Slay.....Best Player I ever saw in hs...

Stevie, what is his stud fee? I'll bet he is in more demand than Secretariat!!!!!!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL THESE NAMES AND I STILL HAVENT SEEN HIS NAME POP UP.....I TAKE IT MOST OF U HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ......KELCY WILLIAMS, RB/LB FROM HUMBOLDT TN....WHO JOHN TUCKER SAYS IS THE BEST PLAYER HES EVER COACHED....A MAN AMONGST BOYS WHILE N HS....AND HAVE U EVER SEEN HIM PLAY LB, MY GOODNESS...PUNISHING!!!! JUST THOUGHT I THROUGH HIS NAME OUT THERE....CAUSE SOME TOF THESE NAMES I C DONT EVEN COMPARE TO THE CAREER HE HAD N HS......AND THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SEEN HIM PLAY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT.................THE BEST FB PALYER I/VE EVER SAW

I mentioned him way back in September when I posted on here. I've always said that he was the best player I had ever played against. My senior year I think Toby Champion lined up at FB some and Williams and Jelks played TB. The speed those guys had was unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how this could even be a discussion if Reggie White is included and the category is "best body of work a football player from the state has had" - if that's indeed the topic. Reggie White was an once-in-a-lifetime superstar and has the numbers to prove it. He's had his number retired at UT, Philadelphia AND Green Bay.

But if the discussion's about people who's the closest to Reggie White in terms of career stature, I'd have to say right now Jason Witten has the best opportunity. Especially with a quarterback like Tony Romo throwing him the ball, he's going to garner some very impressive numbers in the years to come, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up owning all the records for a NFL tight end at the end. (Though Dallas Clark may have a better chance due to having Peyton as a quarterback.) Not only can Witten catch, though, he can also block like a demon as well.

However, John Henderson also has a very good opportunity as well. Although he's a DT, so he won't have the same type of numbers that a defensive end like Reggie White would have, he's still one of the Jacksonville Jaguars' most reliable and dynamic players. Not to mention biggest. He's probably the biggest player ever from the state of TN.

Chad Pennington, sometimes I'm still kind of startled that he even made it to the NFL with that arm of his - not to knock the guy, but I think having Randy Moss at Marshall really helped him get the recognition that he otherwise wouldn't have gotten. But right now as things stand, he's not even starting for the Jets now, as he's been benched in favor of Kellen Clemens. It's not looking good for him.

Right now though, I'd guess Doug Atkins is the next closest challenger to Reggie White for the "Best Football Player from the State of TN."

Kelcey Williams was the real deal...When John W. Tucker says..."He was the best athlete I have ever coached that is saying it all right there"....Believe he would have won Tucker another State Title if Humboldt hadn't run into that Marion County team with Eric Westmoreland that was what 55-2 in 4 years?...Kelcey got sidetracked and never got it together in college...Shame..that dude could play...

Speaking of Reggie White...You should have seen him play BASKETBALL...Saw Chattanooga Howard play Memphis Northside and Phillip "Doom" Haynes for the 1980 AAA title....Howard had A MONSTER power forward...Reggie White...No big man was supposed to be that quick, that agile...Reggie was 6-5 about 235 in hs and moved like a man MUCH smaller....He was a freak of nature....Ended up being All-State and made some Prep AA teams in basketball...There was even some talk back then of him playing some roundball for Don DeVoe on the hill.....Reggie was something else...

Kelcey Williams was the real deal...When John W. Tucker says..."He was the best athlete I have ever coached that is saying it all right there"....Believe he would have won Tucker another State Title if Humboldt hadn't run into that Marion County team with Eric Westmoreland that was what 55-2 in 4 years?...Kelcey got sidetracked and never got it together in college...Shame..that dude could play...

Some of us were talking about Kelcey Williams last night at the Gibson Co. basketball game....Kelcey was a BEAST!!!! He was huge, fast, and could run the ball!!!! Reminds me of Al Wilson from JCM but only better IMO...Too bad Kelcey got in the trouble he did...he would've made it in the pros!!