Best football player in TN History?

doakfsu1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Meske of webb has coached against top talent...exp. Troy Flemming, Patrick Turner, Brandon Warren, Jermaine Copeland just to name a few. He has even coached talent like NY Jets QB Chad Pennington. He said with out doubt that the best High School football player he has ever coached against was Golden Tate. I now he is not John Hannah or reggie white in the pros. But in terms of High School football only.... thats a pretty strong statement from someone who has been coaching football for 23 years in tennessee against some of the best the state has offered.

Doug Atkins from West TN. Played at UT, then on to the NFL. Legend has it he was an animal.

The best. I heard that he went to Tennessee to play basketball. The General seen him and had a little talk. The rest is UT and NFL history. I think he lives in Cumberland Co now.

He created pain and chaos in the NFL for 20 yrs. He came out of retirement to play his last two years with the Saints in their begining.

Great list but no has mentioned the Great Johhny Majors. I think he was from around Huntland and what about his brothers also.

That crossed my mind also. Johny Majors was number 2 in the Heisman voting his Sr yr. Played at Huntland and Lynchburg. The family moved with the dads (Shirly Majors) coaching jobs. Two brothers played at UT and later coached there. An other played at either Florida or Florida State.

I was at the Vandy/UT game when Johny made that 60 something kick return for a TD in Nashville. He must have run 200 yds side line to side line to get to the end zone.

That is the only UT or Vandy game I have ever been to.