Carter Hornets 2007

qbsdad

Well.... I was kinda intimidated. CAPITAL LETTERS ARE A SIGN OF AGGRESSION! See how effective that was. It was almost like I raised my voice.

I got a little scared lol.

GoVols- Carter is pretty healthy. A few people have some bumps and bruises but hey thats football. Carter will more than likely win friday on its athleticism. I strongly believe that until we can stop the run up the middle, Carter will struggle to beat anyone with equal or more talent. Another issue is the teams overall fitness. After the first half, the team looks tired and thats when the big runs start to show. With all that said it is homecoming so hopefully the team will be up for the game. I believe Carter will get a fairly easy win as long as they come out focused. Carter 28 P.F. 10

Go Hornets!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportsnut, I have not been able to attend a Carter game this fall due to work, please elaborate for me on what you meant by overall team fitness is a weakness. Does the team look like they are being out-muscled...in other words Carter is weaker than the other teams, or are they tired and winded, like they need to run more. I am just curious if the problem you are speaking of is one of bad offseason workouts or if the team is just not pushing itself to get into game shape during practices. I ask this because it is curious to me as to how Carter seemed in the past to be able to outlast opponents...SD last year, Kingston, Rutledge off the top of my head...and this year other teams, AE and SD, seem to be getting stronger while Carter is getting weaker. Also, I think that the players' mental strength should be looked at, they seem to do ok until they fall behind...Bearden and AE. From what I have read about the games, the turnovers seem to be killing the Hornets, which may be leading the boys to quit fighting hard thus leading to easy scores for the opponents. Whatever the case, I think that the players and coaches need the support of the fans...not a shouting match on the internet or any other negativity. Good luck to the Hornets.

Sportsnut, I have not been able to attend a Carter game this fall due to work, please elaborate for me on what you meant by overall team fitness is a weakness. Does the team look like they are being out-muscled...in other words Carter is weaker than the other teams, or are they tired and winded, like they need to run more. I am just curious if the problem you are speaking of is one of bad offseason workouts or if the team is just not pushing itself to get into game shape during practices. I ask this because it is curious to me as to how Carter seemed in the past to be able to outlast opponents...SD last year, Kingston, Rutledge off the top of my head...and this year other teams, AE and SD, seem to be getting stronger while Carter is getting weaker. Also, I think that the players' mental strength should be looked at, they seem to do ok until they fall behind...Bearden and AE. From what I have read about the games, the turnovers seem to be killing the Hornets, which may be leading the boys to quit fighting hard thus leading to easy scores for the opponents. Whatever the case, I think that the players and coaches need the support of the fans...not a shouting match on the internet or any other negativity. Good luck to the Hornets.

MineyHaole- To answer your question, it looks to me like they are getting winded. I think the main cause of this is that many players play both ways, but it is still a glaring problem. I don't think we are getting outmuscled, I think that our players are just getting extremely tired while the other team is gaining their second wind. You are also correct that turnovers have killed us, especially when we are on a good drive or close to scoring. Carter is weaker this year, but AE and SD have improved this year. I think frustration with the offense not producing has weakened the defenses mental strength. But I believe the hardest part of our schedule is over (with the exception of Karns and Seymour) so I look for the Hornets to improve and work out some of these problems. I agree with you that wether your team is winning by a hundred or losing by a hundred you should only cheer encouragement out to the players. Go Hornets!

Thanks Sportsnut, I thought that that may be the problem. When I have seen a few of the players they seem to be pretty big and strong looking, and parents have told me that they are working out, well in the summer at least, very hard. I thought watching the team last year that depth would be a problem, but I think that the guys are going to have to stink it up and start playing through the tired. I agree that the hardest part is over, but don't count out Rutledge, Gibbs, and Union...Rutledge and Union always give Carter fits. Keep those heads up Hornets, hard work will pay off.

Okay, Its time to speak up. The biggest problem the Hornets are facing is the inconsistant line play. This is due to the lack of depth (or coach's not utilizing talent on the sidelines) I watched South Doyle and AE substitute up front but Carter stay with the same guys. Hey, when your down by 38 in the forth quarter and your varsity is getting it handed it to them, its time to get your back up lineman some experience. Carter has talent but until the coaching staff realizes that they need to develop some substitutes, they will always be sucking wind in the forth quarter.

Carter 28 Pigeon Forge 12

bertj,

What youy are saying is true for every athletic team that has ever played a game isn't it? You seem to have taken over the blasting of coaches for qbsdad, since this is your first post. However, you did not use all caps so maybe I am totally wrong.

I hear this kind of talk every day in Halls, heard it from the Central fans when they were 0-2, hearing it from carter, have even read about it from Oak Ridge fans, heard & read about from UT fans. I think all schools should hire parents as coaches so they could make all of the important decisions for a team.

No, that wouldn't work. What about this...put walkie talkies in the stands and have the parents use them to let the coaching staff know what they should be doing.

Wha'ya think?

Ruse?- I agree with you one hundred percent. When a team is winning all the time its how that team is unstoppable and great, but as soon as a team hits a few bumps in the road it's always the coaches fault. I have never coached football, but I know that it is a hard job. The main thing we have to remember is that they are human just like us and will make mistakes just like us.

bertj, I have been around football all of my adult life as both a coach and a commentator, so I will weigh in on your point about playing the the nonstarters. I agree with you that there comes a time in games when you are either winning or losing by many points that the back-ups need to be rolled in. And it is a beautiful thought that those fellows can get some playing time, learn the system in game-time situations, and maybe give some extra depth in the next games to give the starters a rest. However, in reality, many high school teams, and I include ALL the Region 1 teams in this statement, do not have more than 6 guys that can play line and not be either humiliated on the field or physically hurt. Now I say this not knowing what the situation is at Carter, but the fact may be that the line does not get substituted because it could result in players being on the field that mentally don't know the plays well enough to keep a QB or RB from being destroyed, they may not be physically ready in that they did not work out hard enough or practice hard enough to prepare for the season, or...and I know this sounds bad, but it does happen more than people like to admit...the backups do not want to play; either because a parent is forcing them to be on the team or the kid knows that he is not ready to be on the field. Again, I have no clue what the situation at Carter is, but I think that it is our job as fans of the sport to remain positive...especially if we do not have all of the facts.

bertj, I have been around football all of my adult life as both a coach and a commentator, so I will weigh in on your point about playing the the nonstarters. I agree with you that there comes a time in games when you are either winning or losing by many points that the back-ups need to be rolled in. And it is a beautiful thought that those fellows can get some playing time, learn the system in game-time situations, and maybe give some extra depth in the next games to give the starters a rest. However, in reality, many high school teams, and I include ALL the Region 1 teams in this statement, do not have more than 6 guys that can play line and not be either humiliated on the field or physically hurt. Now I say this not knowing what the situation is at Carter, but the fact may be that the line does not get substituted because it could result in players being on the field that mentally don't know the plays well enough to keep a QB or RB from being destroyed, they may not be physically ready in that they did not work out hard enough or practice hard enough to prepare for the season, or...and I know this sounds bad, but it does happen more than people like to admit...the backups do not want to play; either because a parent is forcing them to be on the team or the kid knows that he is not ready to be on the field. Again, I have no clue what the situation at Carter is, but I think that it is our job as fans of the sport to remain positive...especially if we do not have all of the facts.

Facts are: Carter will continue to beat up on less talented teams and lose to the good teams. The trend has been in place for several years now and it isnt going to change. The only change was moving from the toughtest 4A Region in the state to the weakest 3A Region in the state.

Facts are: Carter (ie... the coaching staff) plays and has played 16 man football for years. When you only have 6 guys on the line that can play or else your afraid you will get them hurt, someone else hurt or embarassed; it means you havent developed your players. You dont develop players when your ahead 35 - 0 at the half and your 2's only get to play a couple of minutes. It also means that when you do play a good team, your 16 guys are too tired to give it their best late in the game. The situation isnt going to get any better next year or the year after until someone figures out how to substitute.

Not meant toward you Miney, but everyone wants to beat up on qbsdad. At least he has the guts to discuss what he sees. I've read several posts here and it sounds as if everyone else is afraid to give an honest opinion. Maybe they are afraid that junior will get placed at the end of the bench or that someone will get mad at them. At least qbsdad doesnt sugarcoat everything. There is no need to get personal about things but it IS ok to state an opinion.

Nuff said.....................

Carter has always been a joke. The last few years they've had this great big vision in their head that they can even stay on the field with the Fultons and AEs because they've been beating up on lowly 1-3A schools like Gibbs and Union County. Well, I guess after we beat them by a combined 84-11 last season in the two games we played after thumping them the year before they had finally had enough. So, go ahead and win out in 1-3A, but come playoff time, same oh, same oh.