Solution to private debate!?

Alright, lets say that a split occurs in which all of the privates are completly seperate from the publics. But after this happens the small rural publics that are on here complaining are still getting smashed by the better publics such as South Pittsburg and Cloudland. I highly doubt that people from South Pittsburg and the other really good publics are on this board debating over this issue.

Why don't we create a 1/2A class for all the really small rural public schools who are always whining and complaining on here, (and some for good reason) along with the really small privates such as Lighthouse, NCS, etc who simply cannot compete with the bigger privates and publics. This way, the small publics and privates can duke it out with each other and in the end, all is fair.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just about football..I know South Pittsburg isn't too happy about being in a district with Chattanooga private schools in boys and girls basketball, softball and baseball even though they're 1-2 every year in football. And I have never heard Whitwell 'whine' about being in the same district with South Pittsburg in football, even when they were getting thrashed by 60 points every year by them. I do know some there are discouraged by playing with Boyd-Buchanan, not only because they're a private school but because some of their players in past seasons and in coming seasons could have been playing for Whitwell.

I have a question that I would like for some of you guys who are in 1A to answer...

Why do you want the private schools to leave? From a competitve standpoint, I am hoping that Knoxville Catholic and Notre Dame stay in D2-AA and don't think about leaving...D2-AA consists of only 8 teams already, I wouldnt want them to leave, even if that means two less teams that would make it to the playoffs, Especially if 70% of the state champions in the last decade are public...I can't believe that.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm......

With all the talk I`ve seen about how private schools are getting all these good athletes, I would think that there would be plenty of representation on the East and West Shrine squads and on the Tennessee squad that will play KY.

By my count (and don`t hold me to be exactly precise)out of 124 players selected to play on the 3 teams, there are a total of 15 kids that attended a private school.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

I actually didn`t ask a question in the post, but would certainly invite any response to the post. It would only seem right that there should be a lot of private school kids on these teams since they get all the ones that have ability. Especially from Div. II. (Did you know they pay all the best football players to come to their schools?)(wink wink)

VG- most of your arguments are pretty sound but this one doesn't hold water. All-stars are chosen from all of the schools, including 3A-4A-5A, not just 1-A. There are plenty of athletes in those classifications. And, 11.7% of the schools in Tennessee that play football are private while 12% of the players chosen for those 3 teams are from private schools. Under your qualifications, looks like they need to cut a player.

EGO... I don't know much about West Tennessee Schools or Teams!

VG... There are two different all-star teams and they are selected by the coaches and others who are involved in Tennessee Football. Every year... someone calls me and asks if I have any players that should be considered for the all-star teams. I'm sure many coaches receive the same call. You guys may not like the way the teams are selected but I think they do a good job in the selection process! In years past, I have coached boys that played in the all-star game... but it has been a few years.

More numbers, I think there's 16 private schools in 1A but I counted 6 players from those teams on the all-star teams mentioned. The remaining 1A public school teams could just manage one more, 7, despite having quite a few more teams in the class, something like 42-16.

What are the requirements to play in this game? Does your coach have to be a member of a certain committee like in basketball?

I noticed Tyler McCollough, Austin Bougerous, David Thompson, Bobby Daush, David Ligon, Franklin Payne, Will Denboe

You said "There are two different all-star teams and they are selected by the coaches and others who are involved in Tennessee Football."

If I am correct you are a 1A coach? Would coaches from Division 2 get the call, or are only public school coaches notified, just a simple question...How many kids are actually from Division 2? I saw some MUS, CBHS, and McCallie...and then a Notre Dame...kinda odd Notre Dame's qb got on the list while leading his team to fifth place out of 8 teams, where is BCS, Harding, ECS, or state champions BGA? What about Bishop Byrne? Out of about 20 teams in D2-A,AA only one is playing...

Memphis has more D2 teams then any other region, yet the only people that are on the teams are Folk and Mosby...I'm not going to complain, I think its wonderful that they are having it, good luck to both teams, does anyone know last years score and the series between both regions?

CoachT...I was being a little sarcastic with the post. (sorry) My point was that there are a lot of people on here that would have you believe that private schools are just loaded with all the talent. Especially Div.II schools. BTW, according to the Supreme court ruling it is 16% private and 84% public. Of course that was a couple of years ago. Are there more publics now or did we lose some private schools?

Link to supreme court ruling

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/99-901.ZS.html

ELA...never said I had a problem with the "way" they are picked. Didn`t mean to imply that. Just trying to bring something "to think about" to the board.