Soccer Injuries

VolunteerGeneral

I`m just wondering if any other teams are getting injured players this year. Seems like this sport is more dangerous than football. So far this year Madison Academic has had a broken ankle, a broken wrist, a concussion, and a broken nose. In our last 2 games our opponents have had a busted elbow, a broken ankle, and 2 other girls had to be carried off the field.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA Today soccer injury story link

or

Soccer injury article link

Here's to praying for high quality, but safe play and as few injuries as possible. Healing prayers for those already injured too. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

/hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Injuries. I'm like all parents--I wish they didn't happen.

The USA Today article probably hits on the key reasons: increasing numbers of our girls running quickly beside or on to their opponents which leads to collisions, and inherent anatomical characteristics of women.

It's a lot of fun watching our daughters, sisters, nieces, friends play the game, but anytime you've got 22 girls flying around an enclosed space competing for 1 ball, you're going to see injuries, unfortunately.

remember soccer is the only sport in the world that you can have a upper body injury(excluding the head)and still play

you hand gets cut up into a million pieces by the lawnmower hey wrap that thing up and play

Well you forgot about hacky sack /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Does anyone have an opinion on requiring protective head gear in soccer?

I think it should be required equipment for all players and I feel very strongly about it. Think about it for a minute: they require shinguards to protect legs and a leg injury while very painful is not life threatening and normally will heal in less than a year. A head injury may last a lifetime and ruin that players quality of living or even be fatal. I've seen 2 head injuries in the past 2 seasons that ended those girls soccer career. It's very unfortunate and scary. The current headgear is not perfect and detractors will say that it doesn't provide full protection, but studies have shown that it does help.

The older players strongly object to the idea and my daughter goes ballistic at the mention of it. The only way that this can happen is for the USYSA/TSSAA/TSSA to make it required equipment and if the kids start wearing them from the time they start playing and everyone is wearing them, it's just another piece of equipment and will not be a big deal. But, if you ask kids to wear them when everyone else isn't, then you have to fight the dork factor.

Governing body of sports need to step up. Maybe the TSSAA instead of trying to restrict the number of club players per team or the amount of time they can practice, should actually look at something that can make the game safer for the participants and not change the quality of play.