Public School Recruiting...

JaxMan

Public schools recruting, /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

ABSOLUTELY!!! And, you have to be a total idiot to not know that. I've witnessed first hand how it's done, it's no BIG secret.

However, maybe it is more rampant in a county that has more than one high school in the same county??? I've seen parents work at a certain school just so their child can attend that school. Or, student can claim that they want to take a specific class that is offered at a local school & not at their school. Sometimes, parents will use a relatives address that is zoned for a particular school. And, I'm sure there are SEVERAL other ways for players to attend their school of choice.

My son is a decent ball player, I don't think he's going pro. Before entering high school we had multiple coaches approach us in regards to having our son play with them. This was the same experience some of his team mates had with the public school coaches. NOT 1 PRIVATE SCHOOL COACH ever tried to talk to us!!!! So you tell me WHO is doing the recruiting?????

Which schools approached you?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why this gets argued about so much. There are private and public schools that recruit and there are private and public schools that don't recruit. There are ways around the rules for any of them if they want to do it and it is hard to catch and prove. You either have coaches that follow the rules or ones that don't and in some cases the coaches could be following the rules and a booster could be the one doing the recruiting. I would like to see more investigation and enforcement of both private and public schools. Basically now if there is not a formal complaint filed nothing is looked at so there is no real fear of being caught.

I would say your kid isn't good enough to start at a competitive private school.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

the case I can recall involved a certain highly regarded D1 bball prospect in Nashville many years ago. I'm not sure if open-zoning policies were in effect at the time. He chose to attend a metro school different from the one he was zoned to in order to "take a specific class" that wasn't offered at his zoned school. Interestingly, someone asked him what the class was and he couldn't name it....

None of this really bothers me as I think any student in the public school system should have the right to attend whatever school he/she wants for whatever reason he/she wants, including sports. Why should a family have to lie and say "it was for a class" if it really was just for basketball? There's nothing wrong with seeking out the best opportunities that best align with your long-term goals....imo.

the case I can recall involved a certain highly regarded D1 bball prospect in Nashville many years ago. I'm not sure if open-zoning policies were in effect at the time. He chose to attend a metro school different from the one he was zoned to in order to "take a specific class" that wasn't offered at his zoned school. Interestingly, someone asked him what the class was and he couldn't name it....

None of this really bothers me as I think any student in the public school system should have the right to attend whatever school he/she wants for whatever reason he/she wants, including sports. Why should a family have to lie and say "it was for a class" if it really was just for basketball? There's nothing wrong with seeking out the best opportunities that best align with your long-term goals....imo.

You have to have zoning in metro areas. It's an overcrowding issue. Everybody can't go to one school

I don't know why this gets argued about so much. There are private and public schools that recruit and there are private and public schools that don't recruit. There are ways around the rules for any of them if they want to do it and it is hard to catch and prove. You either have coaches that follow the rules or ones that don't and in some cases the coaches could be following the rules and a booster could be the one doing the recruiting. I would like to see more investigation and enforcement of both private and public schools. Basically now if there is not a formal complaint filed nothing is looked at so there is no real fear of being caught.

I agree...you either have ethics and play by the rules or you don't...being public or private is not the issue...it is ethics

I agree, but why just in the public school system? Some kids attend a private school and find out it is not a good fit for them. Others might have a problem with public school and decide to try a private school. There are numerous reasons kids transfer. Just recently here in Jackson a girl who is a very good basketball player transferred to Trinity Christian Academy. There was an article in the paper about it and her reason was that she no longer felt safe at Northside High School. She won`t be able to play basketball this year.

There shouldn`t even be any recruiting rules. The TSSAA can`t possibly keep up with everything. They can`t afford to hire investigators. There are far too many differences among all the various school systems in the state. Just take Memphis for example. It is so easy there to pick what school you want to attend that it is ridiculous.

Just let kids go to whatever school they want to attend. No school owns the right to any student. Every school district has their own rules as to what kids are eligible to attend what schools. IMO if a kid is legally attending a high school in their district then the TSSAA should be happy with that. We take these sports way too seriously.

I agree, but why just in the public school system? Some kids attend a private school and find out it is not a good fit for them. Others might have a problem with public school and decide to try a private school. There are numerous reasons kids transfer. Just recently here in Jackson a girl who is a very good basketball player transferred to Trinity Christian Academy. There was an article in the paper about it and her reason was that she no longer felt safe at Northside High School. She won`t be able to play basketball this year.

There shouldn`t even be any recruiting rules. The TSSAA can`t possibly keep up with everything. They can`t afford to hire investigators. There are far too many differences among all the various school systems in the state. Just take Memphis for example. It is so easy there to pick what school you want to attend that it is ridiculous.

Just let kids go to whatever school they want to attend. No school owns the right to any student. Every school district has their own rules as to what kids are eligible to attend what schools. IMO if a kid is legally attending a high school in their district then the TSSAA should be happy with that. We take these sports way too seriously.

I agree totally...

In the case you mention, whose interests, exactly, are being served by making this girl sit out a year from sports? It's funny, I read the story on the football board about the former Ensworth qb who, as a result of his family's finacial hardships, was forced to leave EHS for a public school where he now plays. The TSSAA granted him eligibility. And I wondered what would happen if something like your story happened--as in, a child for whatever reason left a public school for a private school for reasons that go beyond sports...would the TSSAA be equally sympathetic? If not, why? Well, if what you are saying is true, there's my answer.