south doyle- powell-

notright

That's where we are not going to agree. I've had the opportunity to talk to several of the S-D coaches and administrators over the last few weeks. They do support the players.

This is where I would have to disagree. I have spoken with the coaches and with administration, these kids are not supported by all of the coaches or the administration. When was the last time Duncan came to the practice field, or the locker room, just to talk to the kids or the parents. The same parents are there everynight picking up their child, it would be a perfect time to stop in and say hello I support the team, or even give praise to the kids for a hard fought practice. Most of our boys practice hard everyday and a little encouragement would go along way.

I have been at S-D for many years with both my children the Football program has been a disappointment to say the least. I believe we have excellent tallent on the S-D football team, we have leaders on this football team that would step up if given the chance or opportunity. We have several kids on our team with REAL attitude problems that need to be addressed on the field and off. It will take more than just coaches to get this under control. But I think the coaches need to be on the same page with our parents. We have a coaching staff that is afraid to do that because they think some of these guys are our playmakers. When one gets upset Hutch will make it right. What makes it right with the other kids? And what is that teaching them about real life? Well playmakers or not they are destroying what is trying to be built. And coach Hutch is one of the main coaches not implementing disicipline on this team. We have excellent coaches on this football team, just in the wrong positions. Our head coach should not be head coach, I truly believe that. But we have other coaches that support our football program, support our kids, and will talk to the parents. I have experienced this myself first hand. Maybe they just need to be moved around. Do you think Hutch and Duncan would support that idea? Because the coaching is there. And no I am not a coach, just a concerned parent with a child on the football team that is really disappointed. It's hard to tell your son that not all adults act like adults, and do what is right. That I believe is hard to explain to anyone. I do the best I can and encourage him every chance I get. Because I know he deserves it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then move to powell if your kid is any good... he could help a team that has a good coaching staff and tons of team players!

Now, wouldn't that be a solution. Too bad in the real world you just can't pick up and move when you don't like something. Forget trying to correct the problem. Now what is that teaching the my child.

Just out of curiosity, who should be the head coach and what other positions should each coach be coaching and why? I am asking because you seem to have a little more insight on the situation than the other two on here that just keep repeating that they are idiots with every post. yes I am talking about the non football fan and they guy that is truly never right even by his own screen name.

Now, wouldn't that be a solution. Too bad in the real world you just can't pick up and move when you don't like something. Forget trying to correct the problem. Now what is that teaching the my child.

nothing... just giving your child a chance to play good football without all the coaching drama.... no biggie...

and btw in this real world moving for high school preference is done alot more than you think!

This is where I would have to disagree. I have spoken with the coaches and with administration, these kids are not supported by all of the coaches or the administration. When was the last time Duncan came to the practice field, or the locker room, just to talk to the kids or the parents. The same parents are there everynight picking up their child, it would be a perfect time to stop in and say hello I support the team, or even give praise to the kids for a hard fought practice. Most of our boys practice hard everyday and a little encouragement would go along way.

I have been at S-D for many years with both my children the Football program has been a disappointment to say the least. I believe we have excellent tallent on the S-D football team, we have leaders on this football team that would step up if given the chance or opportunity. We have several kids on our team with REAL attitude problems that need to be addressed on the field and off. It will take more than just coaches to get this under control. But I think the coaches need to be on the same page with our parents. We have a coaching staff that is afraid to do that because they think some of these guys are our playmakers. When one gets upset Hutch will make it right. What makes it right with the other kids? And what is that teaching them about real life? Well playmakers or not they are destroying what is trying to be built. And coach Hutch is one of the main coaches not implementing disicipline on this team. We have excellent coaches on this football team, just in the wrong positions. Our head coach should not be head coach, I truly believe that. But we have other coaches that support our football program, support our kids, and will talk to the parents. I have experienced this myself first hand. Maybe they just need to be moved around. Do you think Hutch and Duncan would support that idea? Because the coaching is there. And no I am not a coach, just a concerned parent with a child on the football team that is really disappointed. It's hard to tell your son that not all adults act like adults, and do what is right. That I believe is hard to explain to anyone. I do the best I can and encourage him every chance I get. Because I know he deserves it.

I've got news for you: Most athletic directors don't hang around the football practice field, or the practices of any sport. That's not their job. They hire coaches to run the programs. Most ADs understand that they don't need their coaches looking over their shoulders at an AD while trying to do their jobs. Those meetings are held behind closed doors, where they belong.

You really are contradicting yourself in this post, by the way. You say that you have good coaches, but you say that they don't support the players? Those two statements don't jive with one another.

Honestly, I don't have a dog in the fight other than that I know Clark Duncan very well and know what kind of person he is and I know that he is 100% dedicated to what he is doing at South-Doyle. He is doing the job for which he was hired to do. Maybe you believe he should be doing something else, but he knows what his job is and he does it well.

Yep, all kids deserve a shot. All kids also need to understand that sometimes they work hard and don't come out on top. Like I said before, that's a life learning experience.

nothing... just giving your child a chance to play good football without all the coaching drama.... no biggie...

and btw in this real world moving for high school preference is done alot more than you think!

Maybe so, but that still does not correct the problem just shifts the problem to someone else. That is what is wrong with the REAL world. No one wanting to take any responsibility!!

I've got news for you: Most athletic directors don't hang around the football practice field, or the practices of any sport. That's not their job. They hire coaches to run the programs. Most ADs understand that they don't need their coaches looking over their shoulders at an AD while trying to do their jobs. Those meetings are held behind closed doors, where they belong.

You really are contradicting yourself in this post, by the way. You say that you have good coaches, but you say that they don't support the players? Those two statements don't jive with one another.

Honestly, I don't have a dog in the fight other than that I know Clark Duncan very well and know what kind of person he is and I know that he is 100% dedicated to what he is doing at South-Doyle. He is doing the job for which he was hired to do. Maybe you believe he should be doing something else, but he knows what his job is and he does it well.

Yep, all kids deserve a shot. All kids also need to understand that sometimes they work hard and don't come out on top. Like I said before, that's a life learning experience.

If you will read my post I said "not ALL coaches support the boys" meaning some do some don't!! The ADs job is to make sure the athletic department is thriving. Ours has not for several years now. If he knows there is a problem then yes it is his job to be on the fields, talking to the parents, and the kids and most certainly the coaches. Making sure we all know he does exist and he does care about the program. In order to solve issues at S-D they must first acknowledge ( the administration) that we have a problem. That is the first step in solving any problem.

I have talked to our AD on many occasions about the situation. He has listened to my concerns. When you have kids not wanting to play a sport they love because of all the misdirection, discipline problems and other issues in this football program, that is very sad. If Mr. Duncan is the person you say he is; his job is to take charge of the situation and find a solution. We all know he knows there is a problem, everyone knows he use to be a coach and a good one. Maybe administration isn't for him. Like I said previously we have excellent coaches on our team that do support the kids, just does not happen to be the head coach at this time.

If you will read my post I said "not ALL coaches support the boys" meaning some do some don't!! The ADs job is to make sure the athletic department is thriving. Ours has not for several years now. If he knows there is a problem then yes it is his job to be on the fields, talking to the parents, and the kids and most certainly the coaches. Making sure we all know he does exist and he does care about the program. In order to solve issues at S-D they must first acknowledge ( the administration) that we have a problem. That is the first step in solving any problem.

I have talked to our AD on many occasions about the situation. He has listened to my concerns. When you have kids not wanting to play a sport they love because of all the misdirection, discipline problems and other issues in this football program, that is very sad. If Mr. Duncan is the person you say he is; his job is to take charge of the situation and find a solution. We all know he knows there is a problem, everyone knows he use to be a coach and a good one. Maybe administration isn't for him. Like I said previously we have excellent coaches on our team that do support the kids, just does not happen to be the head coach at this time.

As I said, I really don't have a dog in the hunt, so i'll end it with this: just because some believe that the "problem" is one thing or another doesn't make it reality. Parents with kids in specific programs in schools, and I was and still am one of them, aren't exactly the most unbiased judges of what does or doesn't need to be done in that particular situations. That's why there are administrators to oversee those specific programs.

You have a good man in the AD/Assistant Principal position at South-Doyle. He is a man who has character and high morals. He'll do what he believes is the right thing to do. You also have another man of character in your principal, Rick Walker. He, too, will do what it the right thing to do.

I agree with HTV.

Also, Clark Duncan and Rick Walker have shown that they will take action with inappropriate behavior by a coach with both the prior football and basketball coach. I believe that these gentleman will address the concerns regarding inappropriate conduct by coaching staff if it is brought to their attention and not just written about on this forum.

As for a new staff, I'll just say this......this coaching staff has been completely turned over 3 different times in the last 8 years. SD has never been a powerhouse in football. That's not to say they cannot build a respectable program and complete in the region. However, those with a short-sighted vision of only the last 4 years under Coach Hutchins will never be able to see the big picture. It will just continue to be a repeat of the same, except the man under attack will have a different last name.

Well said footballlov... As far as what the rest of you have said, to my understanding, is just move, just give it more time, just deal with, blah blah blah, same garbage different day. Are we suppose to wait until maybe our grandchildren are playing, is that how long we should wait????Are you saying the SD program has always been bad, and we should just deal with it. As far as moving I guess we could take the easy way out and move, I guess we could move in with Clark, he still lives in powell, not in the SD community, or even move in with Hutchins, he lives in Dandridge, he doesn't even live in Knox County. To who ever said the AD doesn't need to hang around practice thats about the stupidest thing I have ever read, its his job to see what is going on and practice.

Maybe if he were around more he would know what problems we do have. Maybe if he were more

friendly to the parents we could all sit down like adults and try to straigthen out this mess. Until Clark Duncan is man enough to hold a meeting with the Coaches, and the parents, I will always view him has another worthless administrator, taking a salary for doing absolutely nothing. Go ahead HTV, you seem to be his best buddy, tell we will be waiting............... An to everyone else including Jet21, and maybe even lolligag unless your currently involved in the SD program on a daily basis, unless you know every player on the team by first name, unless you've seen the hurt in their eyes, unless you've seen them work so hard for nothing, your comments are worthless