Why is Hickman rank so low

ddaddy

Ah my friend my friend, thank you! This is the point I have been preaching since the inception of Coach T. You are so correct that Goodpasture and CPA are playing with 4-A talent and Alcoa usually is near 5-A talent. Lewis County has done what they have done with 2-A talent. This is not an excuse, it is a fact. I was talking with a coach from a neighboring school just last week and he was telling me that they had 8 guys with 4.6 speed or better. My thoughts were that if we had THREE players with 4.6 speed or better then maybe we could win it all.

I have watched Lewis County football faithfully since 1974. During those 33 years, I can remember maybe 3-4 players who had legitimate sprinters speed. And those were the years that we had legitimate threats to go deep in the playoffs. When a rural 2-A school, whether it is Lewis County, Hickman County, Camden, Smith County, Gatlingbirg Pittman.. etc are playing with 2-A talent against schools who can play toe to toe with 5-A teams, you are always gonna have a problem.

Look at Huntingdon and their championship year. What did they have... speed and great talent all over the line. If you are playing with an offensive tackle who is 6'4" and 280 pounds with great talent verus an offensive tackle who is 5'8" and 240 with good talent, who is gonna win out?

The point I am making is this: The Lewis County and Hickman Counties of the world have nothing to be ashamed of in not winning any gold balls. They do what they can do with what they have to work with. I haven't seen Hickman County play yet but I do believe they deserve better recognition than what they have received. Should these teams be dogged every week because of their region? No obviously, they should not.

I am proud of what our school has accomplished because I know and have seen what we have in the way of talent over the past 30+ years. What we lack in talent, we make up for in heart and desire but most of the time, talent wins out eventually... and that's my take.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of that. Exactly the reason I was stomping up and down that Harpeth was put in the private school region. Despite where anyone ends up at the end of the season, it is good knowing that we are all on the same playing field in region 6-2A. You can't say that with private schools or public schools that don't have a closed zone.

All that being said, Hickman County fans were wondering why they were ranked so low. That's why. Our region is not an indicator of what they will see in the playoffs. Closed zone 3A schools like Marshall County and Page are not an indicator. To put it in some sort of perspective, 3A Cheatham got beat by 3A Giles 66-7. 5A Columbia beat Giles 26-6. Ravenwood drilled Columbia. Goodpasture beat Ravenwood. Goodpasture is 2A.

Soft schedule? Lewis Co. has a soft schedule...not hc. Thats all presumption on marshall. HC might beat them worse. One dimensional....seems i've heard that before in another time and another place. I grew to like one dimensional.Its a vicious attack that you have to see to believe.

I've seen it...you have some fast guys no doubt, but I can name three teams right off the top of my head, Camden, Milan and Trenton that are faster AND have much bigger, stronger lines that could shut down that rushing attack no problem. Playoff football in 2A is the real deal and the Bulldogs are fixin' to get a taste of what REAL 2A football is about. Considering your proximity to Goodpasture and CPA you might get alot bigger dose sooner than you ever expected. Congrats on a successful season, but I'd be careful about getting too greedy... stats, polls and rankings mean diddly squat when it comes to crunch time and you're sitting at home listening to round 2 on the radio admiring all your impressive but meaningless season- stats.

Ah my friend my friend, thank you! This is the point I have been preaching since the inception of Coach T. You are so correct that Goodpasture and CPA are playing with 4-A talent and Alcoa usually is near 5-A talent. Lewis County has done what they have done with 2-A talent. This is not an excuse, it is a fact. I was talking with a coach from a neighboring school just last week and he was telling me that they had 8 guys with 4.6 speed or better. My thoughts were that if we had THREE players with 4.6 speed or better then maybe we could win it all.

I have watched Lewis County football faithfully since 1974. During those 33 years, I can remember maybe 3-4 players who had legitimate sprinters speed. And those were the years that we had legitimate threats to go deep in the playoffs. When a rural 2-A school, whether it is Lewis County, Hickman County, Camden, Smith County, Gatlingbirg Pittman.. etc are playing with 2-A talent against schools who can play toe to toe with 5-A teams, you are always gonna have a problem.

Look at Huntingdon and their championship year. What did they have... speed and great talent all over the line. If you are playing with an offensive tackle who is 6'4" and 280 pounds with great talent verus an offensive tackle who is 5'8" and 240 with good talent, who is gonna win out?

The point I am making is this: The Lewis County and Hickman Counties of the world have nothing to be ashamed of in not winning any gold balls. They do what they can do with what they have to work with. I haven't seen Hickman County play yet but I do believe they deserve better recognition than what they have received. Should these teams be dogged every week because of their region? No obviously, they should not.

I am proud of what our school has accomplished because I know and have seen what we have in the way of talent over the past 30+ years. What we lack in talent, we make up for in heart and desire but most of the time, talent wins out eventually... and that's my take.

Very true Don...closed-zone schools, no matter the strides they make in their programs are not going to be able to consistently compete with open-zoned and/or private schools. Why the privates don't just get in a classification all by themselves and then place a multiplier on the schools that can give scholarships I don't know. Then place a multiplier on open zoned public schools and maybe we will all be able to compete. Until then, the Hickmans, Lewis Cos and Camdens just have to give it our best shot and pray that we have a small nuclear accident and start sprouting behemoth football players like the privates seem to (just kidding /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Well about the nuclear accident, not about the praying for behemoths /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ) Good Luck to Hickman...maybe we'll see ya'll in a few weeks.

you know, i love it when people get on here and talk crap and say hickman dont stand a chance in the play off's, because that just makes me want to fight harder to win every week just to prove to every one we are a championship team, and yeah the hc and lc game is 2 weeks away and its going to be a heck of a game, but you can bet anything that we will fight till that buzzer sounds in the 4th.

First of all I have seen Hickman and Lewis play Waverly. HIckman didn't put a pitiful Waverly team away until the late 3rd quarter. (14-0 half, 28-8 third). Waverly played toe to toe with Lewis for a while but it was without a doubt the best game that Waverly had played all year and they had some of their injured guys back.

Having said that, I say Lewis is slightly better than Hickman because of a better defense, and they can pass the ball on offense. It will be a good game though. Both teams are deserving of their rankings (and yes dear old dad, HC is playing with 4A players), neither will go too far in the playoffs IMO.

that's funny because our second string went out in the third quarter that's the only time waverly scored and our defense done great in that game waverly didn't get anywhere until our second string went in and they still didn't get much.and HC can pass the ball too.So when we play Lewis it should be a great game,I'm sure both teams will fight to the end. Go Dawgs!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I agree with all of that. Exactly the reason I was stomping up and down that Harpeth was put in the private school region. Despite where anyone ends up at the end of the season, it is good knowing that we are all on the same playing field in region 6-2A. You can't say that with private schools or public schools that don't have a closed zone.

All that being said, Hickman County fans were wondering why they were ranked so low. That's why. Our region is not an indicator of what they will see in the playoffs. Closed zone 3A schools like Marshall County and Page are not an indicator. To put it in some sort of perspective, 3A Cheatham got beat by 3A Giles 66-7. 5A Columbia beat Giles 26-6. Ravenwood drilled Columbia. Goodpasture beat Ravenwood. Goodpasture is 2A.

Harpeth hurt themselves with that stetch around 02-03-04 where the seniors were a bunch of losers and they put the dead goat in Coach Brown's yard. Then, after those players were removed from the team, the school board told Coach Winkler that he HAD to let them back on. What a bunch of crap. That made Harpeth look worse than and losing streak ever could have.

Niether Hickman nor Lewis CO. has played anybody. Huntington, Milan, Camden ect... at least have tough region games. GP and CPA have had killer non- region schedules. Goodpasture has 3, count 'em 3 5A opponants not to mention Lipscomb on thier schedule. And CPA's 3 losses have come against D2 teams with a combined 1 loss. CPA is flying under the radar right now because of the 3 losses, but I expect the game against Goodpasture to be knock down drag out. When you play sombody besides a average 3A team or a top 5 1A team, report back. Hickman never got anywhere in 4A, and they won't in 2A.

Niether Hickman nor Lewis CO. has played anybody. Huntington, Milan, Camden ect... at least have tough region games. GP and CPA have had killer non- region schedules. Goodpasture has 3, count 'em 3 5A opponants not to mention Lipscomb on thier schedule. And CPA's 3 losses have come against D2 teams with a combined 1 loss. CPA is flying under the radar right now because of the 3 losses, but I expect the game against Goodpasture to be knock down drag out. When you play sombody besides a average 3A team or a top 5 1A team, report back. Hickman never got anywhere in 4A, and they won't in 2A.

Who is tough in region 72A besides Camden and Huntingdon? I'll guarantee Marshall Co. would beat any of those listed above. I don't see much difference between the best in region 6,7 or 8 from the one and two position. Goodpastures 3-5A oppenents not what they usually are and David L. is overrated IMO and will be beat by Marshall Co. I have suspicions that Goodpasture in overrated as well.

Goodpasture is overated by one spot. Alcoa is king right until someone beats them. Maybe I should have said Westview, Milan, Camden. Lipscomb will name the score against Marshall County. Same as always. What about CPA? Ensworth, ECS, Father Ryan. There are only 4-5 2A teams that could stay on the field with those teams.

"Goodpasture has 3, count 'em 3 5A opponants not to mention Lipscomb on thier schedule."

So what's your point? Lewis County and Hickman County are 2-A schools. That means they should compete with other 2-A schools, at least that is why classification originally took place. They have 2-A talent.

Goodpasture has 4-A talent, they should man up and move up. Goodpasture and CPA beating up 2-A schools is not much of an accomplishment. When you have 4-A talent, you should name your score against 2-A teams.