Jet Football

JetFan21

I've remained silent on this subject for a while, but as a former jet who had kids coming up through the system and keeping up with it i decided i wasn't going to allow my kids to be drug down by this community and its attitude on sports so I moved away but continue to keep up with them. I had rather not say where I'm at now but its amazing the difference in the attitude of the people involved. Let me say it's not the coaches. You guys have had some pretty good coaches there that have went on to some win alot or came from winning. That place is a coaching graveyard. Dennis webb was a national championship coordinator at carson newman and managed one winning record, Mark Pemberton won about 75% of his games at rockwood before cchs and went 2-8 there. He now coaches one of the powerhouses in 3a who had done nothing until he got there (catholic) The guy from georgia (pack?) had a tremendous resume before coming to cchs and went 2-8 while a jet. Wattenburger won as many games in 9 years as they had in the previous 16 or 17 and tied cookeville for a region championship,. take two really bad years off his record and he would have a winning record while at cchs. but the people would not listen to those guys and all of them got tired of beating their head against the wall. Shultz has an impressive resume as a coordinator from georgia, but they'll end up running him off too.

You are correct. Personally, I thought Mark Wattenbarger was one of the best coaches CCHS ever had. As I said before Cumberland County will have to develop the attitude that there is life after elementary sports. You probably made a wise decision going elsewhere.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've remained silent on this subject for a while, but as a former jet who had kids coming up through the system and keeping up with it i decided i wasn't going to allow my kids to be drug down by this community and its attitude on sports so I moved away but continue to keep up with them. I had rather not say where I'm at now but its amazing the difference in the attitude of the people involved. Let me say it's not the coaches. You guys have had some pretty good coaches there that have went on to some win alot or came from winning. That place is a coaching graveyard. Dennis webb was a national championship coordinator at carson newman and managed one winning record, Mark Pemberton won about 75% of his games at rockwood before cchs and went 2-8 there. He now coaches one of the powerhouses in 3a who had done nothing until he got there (catholic) The guy from georgia (pack?) had a tremendous resume before coming to cchs and went 2-8 while a jet. Wattenburger won as many games in 9 years as they had in the previous 16 or 17 and tied cookeville for a region championship,. take two really bad years off his record and he would have a winning record while at cchs. but the people would not listen to those guys and all of them got tired of beating their head against the wall. Shultz has an impressive resume as a coordinator from georgia, but they'll end up running him off too.

all very good coaches. Wattenburger was a good one and his teams were tough and hard hitters. Pemberton is one of my favorite and he ios consider one of the best in the state.

i am addicted to this thread and as a result will probably have my grandkids late for school. i remember in 1982 ( i think) you guys had a very good team with dan vanvinkle as the head coach. however, i also remember when a guy at east ridge set a state record for rushing against you. i played against guys like curt watson so i know that cumberland has had talent. i said they have no tough guys. i didn't mean each and every player i meant as a whole. don't think that bledsoe is a powerhouse because we are not. i do think we are close to making a move back up to respectable and you guys are a long way from that. however, i would love to see the football in the entire area take an upswing and you won't do it with guys who don't have something invested in your program. schulz may be a good coach but where was he from, what was his relation to crossville, you name 2 of your assistants and neither of them were from this area. the other one you named was from here but apparently is not good for the program. you need someone who knows the situation and can motivate your community to support the program. you need hard nosed get after it coaches who either can hire good help or get the help you have working for the same goal. you need someone who can relate with the community and get parents in the stands and kids out of the halls. well enough said you need the same things as bledsoe county and i will stand by that. good luck

Shultz was hired from Central Gwinett High School in Ga where he was a DC

http://www.centralblackknightfootball.org

before than he coached at Rockwood and Clinton

he played at UTC and was very successful

I do not have a problem with Gora personally, I just believe that the players deserve to have real coaches. The team does not need elementary coaches, they already play like an elementary team. Do you think Riverdale or Maryville have volunteers as Assistant Coaches? I highly doubt it. As for Heady, yes he was at Hillsboro. But, how many other schools?

I do think that Shultz, if given a fair shot might be okay. He seems like a good man, but with no support from the people that matter then it is a dead end. Like I have said before, he needs to be surrounded by quality assistants.

As for coach Wattenbarger, I do agree that he is one of the best coaches Cumberland County has seen. He took CCHS to the playoffs more times than anyone else. Yes, he had some bad years, but that is because he played good teams. And if people remember right the teams competed most of the time. I can promise his teams scored more than 21 points in a season. I would have to argue that we play in one of the worst regions in 5A now. When Watt was there they played in a very good region.

Maybe we can get coach watt to come back

That is not a bad idea. There are also other proven coaches in this community as well. For instance Dan Vanwinkle and Rocky Zazzaro. I do believe that all these men are still receiving checks from the Cumberland County School system. My point being they are still around.

Oh and another thing about Gora. He must not have played long in college, because he graduated from Roane State and I know they do not have a team. Now, this is just hear say, but I did hear that he coaches like he played. NOT VERY GOOD!!

Coach Zazzaro would be a huge addition but he has been very involved in stone athletics to date so I dont forsee him coming over here.

I do agree with you, but hey anything is worth a shot. At this point there is nothing to lose. I plan on talking to him soon. I really want things to get better for CCHS.

That is not a bad idea. There are also other proven coaches in this community as well. For instance Dan Vanwinkle and Rocky Zazzaro. I do believe that all these men are still receiving checks from the Cumberland County School system. My point being they are still around.

Oh and another thing about Gora. He must not have played long in college, because he graduated from Roane State and I know they do not have a team. Now, this is just hear say, but I did hear that he coaches like he played. NOT VERY GOOD!!

/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> okay rocky is a very good coach he knows wat hes doin and he is a position coach he coaches DB and WR preety much the positions we have on the field every friday night he knows all the fundamentals and teaches them good. rocky has been my coach for 4 years now and ive enjoyed everyone of them he does know what he is doing!!

jetfan21

Play hard boys!! This may be the last game for sports in Cumberland Co.! Our wonderful county commissioners have refused to fund the school system with enough money to run the system! So there may be NO school on Monday. I would Like to thank the commissioners who voted not to fund education, they such fine up standing people and leaders, but I bet they are in church very Sunday!! It's been fun, Hey since the county want need any of the schools anymore maybe some concerned citizens can take over a vacant property and start a private school!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />