Warren Co. @ Lincoln Co.

Gutts

Hate to say it, but their freshman schedule won't help them friday night. I could beat 3 of the 5 teams they've beaten thus far with an average pop warner team. the other two i might need a good junior high. The point is that warren county is trying to gain momentum and increase morale by playing teams who just aren't very good at all. Lincoln county's losses are to Riverdale and Blackman, two teams warren county could never dream of beating at this point. That could be why they aren't on WC's schedule, and the slots are replaced by DeKalb Co, White Co, and Shelbyville. Warren Co plays Ensworth, yes, but in addition to Blackman and Riverdale, LC plays baylor. There's a reason that lincoln county is still well regarded as a team, and it's because Coach Thompson schedules big teams from murfreesboro and sometimes beats them. Until WC quits this "lets schedule 3 and crappy 4A teams to pad our win column" junk, nobody will take them seriously.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it, but their freshman schedule won't help them friday night. I could beat 3 of the 5 teams they've beaten thus far with an average pop warner team. the other two i might need a good junior high. The point is that warren county is trying to gain momentum and increase morale by playing teams who just aren't very good at all. Lincoln county's losses are to riverdale and blackman, two teams warren county could never dream of beating at this point. That could be why they aren't on WC's schedule, and the slots are replaced by DeKalb, White, and Shelbyville. WC plays Ensworth, yes, but in addition to Blackman and Riverdale, LC plays baylor. There's a reason that lincoln county is still well regarded as a team, and it's because Coach Thompson schedules big teams from murfreesboro and sometimes beats them. Until WC quits this "lets schedule 3 and crappy 4A teams to pad our win column" junk, nobody will take them serously.

I hate to say it also, but you have several good points. As far as saying you could beat several of teams WC has played with a pop warner team, well I think shows poor judgement because high school programs should be given more respect than that even if it was true. Dekalb and White counties are neighboring counties and they have played them for years. Lincoln Co. is regarded as a great football team year in and year out and Coach Thompson is a class act. Don't take WC seriously and see what happens Friday night. If I recall last year LC won 17-0 and the year before that was an overtime game which LC won 23-17. As far as WC dreaming of beating Riverdale or Blackman that maybe a reality in the near future. WC freshmen beat Riverdale by 4 touchdowns a few weeks ago and barely lost to Blackman which has a good of freshmen team as there is 14-0.

I hate to say it also, but you have several good points. As far as saying you could beat several of teams WC has played with a pop warner team, well I think shows poor judgement because high school programs should be given more respect than that even if it was true. Dekalb and White counties are neighboring counties and they have played them for years. Lincoln Co. is regarded as a great football team year in and year out and Coach Thompson is a class act. Don't take WC seriously and see what happens Friday night. If I recall last year LC won 17-0 and the year before that was an overtime game which LC won 23-17. As far as WC dreaming of beating Riverdale or Blackman that maybe a reality in the near future. WC freshmen beat Riverdale by 4 touchdowns a few weeks ago and barely lost to Blackman which has a good of freshmen team as there is 14-0.

Yes I agree. My Comment was to make a point about DeKalb's 0-6 record and may have been a little much. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Regardless, If WC is willing to do what it takes, tradition might just have to be pushed aside to make way for progress, as the only recent tradition they have there with the exception of the past couple of seasons is sub .500 years. I would know better than everyone the scores of the games of the last two years. I was in them. They have had very talented players there, specifically Josh Paz a couple of years ago, who was almost solely responsible for taking us into our only overtime of the season. I have relatives at WCHS and know that they dwarf LC in school population. If they can find a way to get the talent from the junior high and the hallways to the turf, they should be okay. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I guess having a little inside info kinda makes the junior high issue sound like beating a dead horse. I've heard the "just wait till our junior high gets up there" slogan since before I was even in HS. It just always seems to happen that many of the players don't wanna play HS ball. It happens here with our program, and it almost certainly happens there where football isn't necessarily waxing full at this point. However, with a litle change of mindset, WC could certainly return to the glory days of years gone by. Trust me, I hear about those too. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yes I agree. My Comment was to make a point about DeKalb's 0-6 record and may have been a little much. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Regardless, If WC is willing to do what it takes, tradition might just have to be pushed aside to make way for progress, as the only recent tradition they have there with the exception of the past couple of seasons is sub .500 years. I would know better than everyone the scores of the games of the last two years. I was in them. They have had very talented players there, specifically Josh Paz a couple of years ago, who was almost solely responsible for taking us into our only overtime of the season. I have relatives at WCHS and know that they dwarf LC in school population. If they can find a way to get the talent from the junior high and the hallways to the turf, they should be okay. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I guess having a little inside info kinda makes the junior high issue sound like beating a dead horse. I've heard the "just wait till our junior high gets up there" slogan since before I was even in HS. It just always seems to happen that many of the players don't wanna play HS ball. It happens here with our program, and it almost certainly happens there where football isn't necessarily waxing full at this point. However, with a litle change of mindset, WC could certainly return to the glory days of years gone by. Trust me, I hear about those too. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

You are right on the money with your reply. If you are young enough to have played in the games the last two years and have this kind of knowledge your an exceptional young man. We have been trying to figure this thing out for a long time. WC continues to have a lot of talent and the middle school program for the most part has had outstanding years, but when they get to high school the numbers fall off and we are lucky to have 45 on the varsity football team. A good example is that last year our middle school went 9-0 and won the Central Tennesse Championship and it was mostly due to having 32 8th graders and this year only 19 of them return to play with the freshmen team. I've heard all kinds of reasons: girls, cars, broken homes and that kids now a days just don't want to work hard! In the past there was a lot of talk about the youth programs. We had one traveling league and one local league and everyone argued which was better for the kids.

We've had several coaching changes over the last 10 years and have had some big name coaches apply, but were not hired. Each coach has came in with a different idea as to why we are in this slump, but we still are in a rut and really as you said earlier only beating weaker teams. Being your age, what do you think is the main problem and how would you fix it? I hope both teams play hard tonight and may the best team win!

Shew its been a long time lol but i'm back home from Marine Corp basic training thats whats up

Shew I'm hoping for a big WC win this will be the only game I get see but sure can't wait to see it.

I know are boys are fired up they just got to go in there with the attituded that no matter what we aren't going home without a W

lol and all i hear bout is "The Pit" o man scary go to Parris Island, South Carolina for 13 weeks they'll show you what a pit is not some place to play a football. But I'm going to get ready thats a nice little drive

Shew its been a long time lol but i'm back home from Marine Corp basic training thats whats up

Shew I'm hoping for a big WC win this will be the only game I get see but sure can't wait to see it.

I know are boys are fired up they just got to go in there with the attituded that no matter what we aren't going home without a W

lol and all i hear bout is "The Pit" o man scary go to Parris Island, South Carolina for 13 weeks they'll show you what a pit is not some place to play a football. But I'm going to get ready thats a nice little drive

Good to have you back Front.

You are right on the money with your reply. If you are young enough to have played in the games the last two years and have this kind of knowledge your an exceptional young man. We have been trying to figure this thing out for a long time. WC continues to have a lot of talent and the middle school program for the most part has had outstanding years, but when they get to high school the numbers fall off and we are lucky to have 45 on the varsity football team. A good example is that last year our middle school went 9-0 and won the Central Tennesse Championship and it was mostly due to having 32 8th graders and this year only 19 of them return to play with the freshmen team. I've heard all kinds of reasons: girls, cars, broken homes and that kids now a days just don't want to work hard! In the past there was a lot of talk about the youth programs. We had one traveling league and one local league and everyone argued which was better for the kids.

We've had several coaching changes over the last 10 years and have had some big name coaches apply, but were not hired. Each coach has came in with a different idea as to why we are in this slump, but we still are in a rut and really as you said earlier only beating weaker teams. Being your age, what do you think is the main problem and how would you fix it? I hope both teams play hard tonight and may the best team win!

One of the things WC does is they have 45 players on the team but only about 17 see considerable playing time. Why risk your QB playing defense, when he could be on the sidelines talking to the OC about what the other defense is doing. If you break it down there are potentially 66 starting positions on a football team (11 each on offense,defense,punt, punt receiving,kickoff and kickoff receiving). The other is football doesn't get a lot of support from athletic department administration at middle school or high school. the middle school head coach is stepping down after this year because he can't get anything for his players, yet basketball gets whatever they ask for. There needs to be some changes at WC and they need to start at the top.

glad you are home for a while

Yeah, I suspect that Parris Island is quite a bit scarier than The Pit!

Hope you enjoy your shore leave, but I'll be rootin' for the Falcons!