reclassification in TSSAA - 2009

EaglevilleFan11

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to a point but I think the top 2 teams out of a region should go to the playoffs. 4 teams is a joke in most regions. What LA did a couple of years ago was great but they really should not have even been in the playoffs the season should count for more. Just my opinion

Much like Kingston last year when they got in the play-offs from the 4th seed and lost in the first round to I believe Carter.

i believe that its fine the way it is....2 teams doesnt give a chance for most high school kids to play for a winning team and have the chance to play in the playoffs, it would be harder for teams to keep players....anyone can win, LA for example....last year spring hill made it with the 4th seed and made it to the 2nd or 3rd round....2 years ago i remember that dyersburg was 10-0 and fell in the 1st round to a 4th seed....it just seems more fair to let 4 teams have a chance to fight for the spots and then compete at the next level.....if the top 2 teams went then the powerhouse schools like lipscomb and goodpasture and riverdale would be the only schools to go every year...and the same champions would be crowned every year....boring.....does anyone know if creekwood will be moving up in classification.....

I agree to a point but I think the top 2 teams out of a region should go to the playoffs. 4 teams is a joke in most regions. What LA did a couple of years ago was great but they really should not have even been in the playoffs the season should count for more. Just my opinion

What LA did just proved that the current setup is the way it should remain. There is NO reason to drop the number of teams that make the playoffs. So what if a weak team makes it at times? There are also times when teams that are as good as anyone in the state are lower seeds. There are also weak #1 seeds every year as well. You want the regular season to mean too much, in my opinion.

The current playoff setup benefits everyone, and gives teams everywhere realistic goals to strive for. How many times in the past were great teams kept out of the playoffs because they lost even only one game to a team from a higher class?

Some of you guys sound like the same ones who argue for the BCS. I suppose you'd like to see the NCAA basketball tournament field cut in half as well, eliminating possibly the best two days of competition in sports? Don't try to spoil the fun of so many teams just because you feel it is "too easy". It just makes you sound old and bitter.

I'm sorry, but I like the current setup and the opportunities it gives to all schools, regardless of powerhouse status. High school sports are about fun above all else, and we should all remember that. Fun for the kids, not for us.

What LA did just proved that the current setup is the way it should remain. There is NO reason to drop the number of teams that make the playoffs. So what if a weak team makes it at times? There are also times when teams that are as good as anyone in the state are lower seeds. There are also weak #1 seeds every year as well. You want the regular season to mean too much, in my opinion.The current playoff setup benefits everyone, and gives teams everywhere realistic goals to strive for. How many times in the past were great teams kept out of the playoffs because they lost even only one game to a team from a higher class?Some of you guys sound like the same ones who argue for the BCS. I suppose you'd like to see the NCAA basketball tournament field cut in half as well, eliminating possibly the best two days of competition in sports? Don't try to spoil the fun of so many teams just because you feel it is "too easy". It just makes you sound old and bitter.I'm sorry, but I like the current setup and the opportunities it gives to all schools, regardless of powerhouse status. High school sports are about fun above all else, and we should all remember that. Fun for the kids, not for us.

I think the BCS should be replaced by a playoff system like I-AA and Division II have. However, I don't think teams with loosing records have earned the honor of playing in the State Championship Playoffs. What reward do the kids get they have won a region title? If the Region champs and possible runner up were given byes while the powder puffs play an early round it would be different. Perhaps require temas to have a minimum of 5-5 and winning record in the region to qualify. With the 5 classifications and 4 teams from each region making the playoffs, the season is played to wee which third of the teams do not make the playoffs. The fact is, the TSSAA had gotten to a pretty fair system with the A, AA, AAA setup. Here is an idea. Hold a muffin playoffs for the teams that don't make the State Championship Playoffs. The winner gets a gold Cup-Cake.It was in the '70 when great teams were kept out of the Play-offs. It was worse in the early 70s than the mid to late 70s. South Pittsburg was the defending champions in 1970 with a 9-1 record and didn't make it because of loosing to Sweetwater in the regular season. Sweetwater lost in the Finals to TPS whom So Pitt had beat in '69 for the Championship. So Pitt went 9-1 in 1971 as well. By 1979, those scenarios were worked out with an occasional good team left out and I argue that there hasn't been a solid team left out of the play-offs since 1983.In fact, the system in place in 1986 with a 12 game regular system would be better than the current system.They had 2 districts per region.

Having four teams go from a region and possibly four or five now in 2A can help a team that has early injuries, is breaking in new players and struggles early, etc. I wish there had been four teams go before it took effect in 93. The year prior here, the team had one of its best defenses ever. I think they had six shutouts and allowed less than 10 in eight games but lost to Tyner (great athletes just as always, had moved down from Class AAA) and Marion County (state title team) and finished 8-2. Both those teams were in 3A out of 5 classes the next season. Sequatchie definitely was a playoff type team that year and I'm sure there are many more examples.

You still had 4 teams from each region prior to 1993. There were two teams from each District in the Region. When the current 1a-2a-3a-4a-5a Expansion occured there were not enough teams to form districts anymore.

just read on another thread that both Union City and McKenzie have enough students that they would move to 2A when reclassification occurs...if so what region would they put them in...82A would make the most sense from a geographic stand point but it is so full now...do you think TSSAA would create a new region?

I think the BCS should be replaced by a playoff system like I-AA and Division II have. However, I don't think teams with loosing records have earned the honor of playing in the State Championship Playoffs. What reward do the kids get they have won a region title? If the Region champs and possible runner up were given byes while the powder puffs play an early round it would be different. Perhaps require temas to have a minimum of 5-5 and winning record in the region to qualify.

Region champions win home games in the playoffs, at least two of them. In fact, they would receive one less home game in your scenario of reducing the number of playoff teams. Having minimum record requirements will only force teams to schedule easier out of region opponents, and punish teams who have stronger schedules. CPA and Boyd-Buchanan come to mind.

QUOTE(rlh)Here is an idea. Hold a muffin playoffs for the teams that don't make the State Championship Playoffs. The winner gets a gold Cup-Cake.

These are the kind of comments I was talking about when I said you sound old and bitter.

QUOTE(rlh)In fact, the system in place in 1986 with a 12 game regular system would be better than the current system.They had 2 districts per region.

Better in what way?

I still do not see any advantage to reducing the current playoff format, other than your desire to eliminate all weak teams from playoff competition. Even with a reduction, sometimes even region champions are weak teams, as some are defeated by #4 seeds in the first round every season. It generates more revenue, more excitement, and just more fun for everyone, including the kids that get to play another game. I will always be for having as many games as possible every season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

if they are truely weak they will be eliminated soon enough with the current format...I say we let all four seeds from each region in...gives more kids the chance to experince post season play...and remember...this is all for the kids...if the #1 and #2 seeda are really strong the weaker teams are eliminated and the final result is not changed...also, some regions are much harder than others...the #3 or even #4 team from some regions are stronger than the #1 and #2 from others...so it actually increases the overall competitiveness of the teams in post season

If the private schools stay in Division I then we will probably go to the Zplan for playoffs. I could also see them putting all the private schools together and having two classifications giving them a meaningful state championship. If they were to do this then the public schools would stay pretty much the same. Breakdowns ROUGHLY:

5A 1550+

4A 1000-1549

3A 800-999

2A 450-799

1A 449 or less

Obviously numbers change and depend on when they are taken and so forth. I would say these are probably right +/- 100.

If the private schools stay in Division I then we will probably go to the Zplan for playoffs. I could also see them putting all the private schools together and having two classifications giving them a meaningful state championship. If they were to do this then the public schools would stay pretty much the same. Breakdowns ROUGHLY:

5A 1550+

4A 1000-1549

3A 800-999

2A 450-799

1A 449 or less

Obviously numbers change and depend on when they are taken and so forth. I would say these are probably right +/- 100.

i think they should have a private and public playoff. and let the winner of each play each other if it don't run into basketball season

I believe that the actual numbers are as follows:

1A- 399 or less

2A- 400 - 699

3A- 700- 999

4A- 1000-1399

5A- 1400+

i could be wrong but I think those might be correct. Who really knows other than TSSAA.

There are no set numbers for every year. They take all the schools enrollment and divide them evenly by 5 classes. A cut off to 2A may be 441 at one four year period and might be 467 the next time they classify.