13AA..very competitive district

GCPioneer

13AA...The most competitive AA district from top to bottom from west of the river...You have Westview led by Rechis, you have Obion Co. Central with last years Ms. Basketball candidate and a Murray State commit in Jana Roney, you have 2 of the best coaches from West TN coming together on 1 team (Russell,McMillan) in Gibson Co., you have Dyersburg that brings out the athletic Victoria McLin, you have Milan with Purdue commit in Chantel Poston, and you have Dyer Co. and Crockett Co. who always seem to give teams fits during the season!!!!! Everyone's opinions are welcomed but would love to see ptguard's thoughts on this race....My opinion as follows:

1) Obion Co. Central - Jana Roney and all of her 3 pt. shooters from outside will bring them home the district title

2) Gibson Co. - only losing 2 seniors last year in Hurley and Webb...returns the top sophomore in this district in Heather Butler and also returning is Jennalee Pate and Jeniqua Jennings

3) Westview - Amber Rechis will take this team as far as she goes!!! AWESOME ball player!!!

4) Milan - Chantel Poston...wouldn't be surprised to see her win 13AA MVP over Rechis and Roney

5) Dyersburg - Victoria McLin is very athletic but I don't think she'll have enough help to take them to the regionals

6) Crockett Co. - Always seem to play hard and would compete in other AA districts around the west but not in 13AA

7) Dyer Co. - The talent is there but I don't know about the coaching

Good Luck to all teams!!!! Hopefully I didn't offend anyone by anything said here but opinions are welcomed!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go:

District 13AA

1. Obion County - The Lady Rebels return everyone of significance from a year ago including the most physically dominating player in the district in Jana Roney. Also returning are a very strong pair of talented sophomores in Chassidy Fussell and Aubrey Reedy, as well as Aubrey's sister Gentry. All in all, it will be tough for any team in the district to take down this squad that is poised for a run at Murfreesboro and a run at the Gold Ball.

2. Gibson County - The Lady Pioneers are entering a new era--the Kevin McMillan era. With him running the show and Russell helping him out, there may be some new queens in District 13AA. Returning is the superb sophomore point guard Heather Butler who now should be even better after a having a year of experience under her belt. Surrounding her is a very balanced squad mixed with both upper- and under-classmen who are capable of making great contributions on both ends of the floor.

3. Milan - The Lady Bulldogs return the most athletic and versatile player in the district in Chantel Poston. She is surrounded by some decent guards but Milan will desperately need to find someone capable of consistently knocking down the three to complement, and help free up, the inside game of Poston. As of right now, I like Poston and Milan for this 3rd spot, though Westview is right there with them.

4. Martin Westview - The Lady Chargers enter this season as an extremely young team with no returning seniors and are lacking in their post play. However, they boast a very talented sophomore class including the very highly touted sharp-shooter Amber Rechis and two versatile players in Grace Ann Swaim and Megan Ables. As stated earlier, this team will go as Rechis goes. However, she will have a huge target on her back and teams will key in on her from start to finish, so someone or someones will have to step up and give her some help.

5. Dyersburg - This squad lost a ton of talent last year, but return the uber-athletic Victoria McLin. While she is talented, she is not a franchise-type player and she won't be able to carry this team on her back by herself. She'll need help from a pretty solid group of Juniors, starting with Allyson Agee in the post.

6. Dyer County - The Lady Choctaws biggest problem is they cannot find a way to consistently beat teams night in/night out. Every year they come up with a huge upset at some point in the district, yet they never can put together a string of impressive victories. They have some talent, but no real "go-to" type player.

7. Crockett County - Honestly, I do not know a whole lot about the Lady Cavaliers in that I have not seen them play in a pretty long time. I'm putting them at the bottom based on what I know about the rest of the teams and how they performed last season.

Nice! I agree with everything you have said...I see OC making a good push for a state championship...They do have the superstar but they also have several key role players...I don't see anyone from the Region being able to stand toe to toe with most of the 13AA teams come region time...Haywood however usually does like to spoil everyones fun!!!! Looks like a good year!

I think the best basketball in the state comes from West Tn. My early picks, subject to change based on health, would be as follows...

1) Milan..I think you'll see their post player step up her senior year, more mature & lead..

2) OC...it will be a razor thin difference between them & Milan..

3) Westview...good core coming back, based on success last year & assume that will continue to improve..

4) Dyer Co....pretty solid group that showed some promise last year. Cupples get a bit of help & watch them....

5) Gibson Co....talent down from previous years but hard work & dedication remain..coaching may cause a drop in performance only for first year though...my dark horse for the district...

6) Dyersburg...too much talent gone & not seen what's left stepping up..but coach proven winner in tournament so bet no one wants to play them come tourney time....

7) Crockett Co...in any other district, easily a top 4 finisher.....

you seem to underestimate the talent at dyersburg high school jessica light is going to blow some minds this season. she will prove to be the biggest help victoria mclin will have. also, tacara thompson who is 6'3" will be returning. she is working really hard to become a player again. she has had serveral colleges recuited her already.

Ok..I'm lost on everything you said Little Joe....Obion Co. will easily win this district for sure!!! Milan always has the most athletic team in the district but not the best!!! Westview, good core coming back!?!?! They lost Cierra Thomas! Gibson Co, coaching may cause a drop in performance???!!!! WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? You have 2 of the best coaches in west TN on 1 team and the top sophomore in the district! Dyer Co., Cupples is all they got!

Obion deep and very good. State tourney bound. And they have Ms Roney.

Milan Poston is playing the 3 now. Glenn will handle the post (a big suprise for most) her improvement, Gray at the point and Joyner and Hamm will have to hi the 3.

GC will be tough with all of the experience, expect an upset somewhere.

The view on an on nite will be hard to handle also.

D Burg

DC couples

CC athletes

With the loss of the point guard from North Side to Trinity, it will be hard for NS to go far in the region. She is the best PG in the west.

Never know what Memphis has to offer, but 2 from 13 AA could go to the boro

It's no doubt that 13AA will be a competitive district once again. So much talent comes from this West TN district and already some outstanding performers who will move on to play D-1 ball at the college level will make this distirct about as exciting to watch as a dog at a hub-cap factory /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Expectations were very high for 13AA last year and nobody from the district made it to the state tournament which was a bit of a shocker to some folks /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> Just goes to show that the ladies in this district will indeed have to step up their games this season..

both Milan and OC are chalked full of talent.. Posten and Roney played on the same AAU team this past summer so you know they're familiar with each other's game. McMillan and wife are back in West Tn at Gibson County and will join the Legend on the bench as David Russell stays as an assistant coach(that'll be weird to see in some aspects) What plans will they have in store for the district?? Stay tuned.. The numbers at Dyersburg are always there and McLin and Light are an outstanding one-two punch for Coach Coffman. The Lady Trojans will make some noise. just down the road in Choctaw country- Cupples is an outstanding guard for the Dyer Co. team and Coach Stafford will look for others to step up. We've all heard about Rechis at Westview and the outstanding job she did as a Fr. but we'll see if there is a Soph. slump as she will have more attention paid to her than last season and will even have to elevate her game to yet another level. The Lady Chargers will go as far as Heavy D can carry them /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> and as the ROCK says "Finally" there is the Lady Cavs of Crockett County who will have a new leader as Veteran Coach Tommy Colvin takes over the play calling with a very young but talented group of kids. Can 13AA make some noise this year and send two teams to the "BORO" ?? Well that's the question on everyone's mind.. It should be an exciting season with ticket sales going "through the roof" .. Getcha Popcorn Ready!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ok..I'm lost on everything you said Little Joe....Obion Co. will easily win this district for sure!!! Milan always has the most athletic team in the district but not the best!!! Westview, good core coming back!?!?! They lost Cierra Thomas! Gibson Co, coaching may cause a drop in performance???!!!! WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? You have 2 of the best coaches in west TN on 1 team and the top sophomore in the district! Dyer Co., Cupples is all they got!

I will try to type slower so you can hopefully read slower & understand. Nothing in this district is easy & OC knows that. My personal opinion is that Milan will win but it will be close & if coaching or players health become a factor, the scales might tip. Westview has been rebuilding for years but still at the top every year & that will continue. Don't hate the messenger cause you don't like the message. Just an opinion & that is why they play the game...enjoy the season!!!

From being around during the summer at camps, practices, etc. coaching is not going to cause a drop in performance at Gibson Co. Coach Russell is still there and they are still using a lot of the things (terminology, philosophy, etc.) that he did. So a coaching change will not hurt. I think that the play of the wings is going to dictate how far this teams goes. You know what you are going to get from Butler and Jennings, but the others have got to find a way to positively contribute on both ends of the floor. They have good post play that I think will only get better as the year goes on.

The other teams in this district that I saw during the summer were Obion, Westview, Dyer Co., and Crockett Crockett. And ptguard hit the nail on the head with his predictions about all of these teams.

I'm pulling for the Lady Rebels but if they don't play Amber Rechis any better than they did last year they won't beat Martin Westview.....

Lots of talent in this district and nobody will have an easy night...I disagree with GCPioneer...OC might win this thing but it will be FAR FROM EASY......

Just watch, they might lose a district game or two in the season...come tournament time Obion Co. WILL NOT be a team you want to face...they are the best TEAM in the district/region and I see them going undefeated in post season play up until the state tournaments and that depends on who they have to play there...The only player in the district that I think MIGHT be able to shut down Jana Roney would be none other than Chantel Poston and that's only because of her athleticism...Going to be a good year this year in 13AA!!

Don't forget that Westview had 2 people to key on last year in Ciera Thomas and Amber Rechis...this year the main person they'll have to focus on is Rechis