Union City @ Greenfield

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you Play Greenfield You'll Say Dang Butchie Was Right. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will disagree with you. I am not predicting a Greenfield victory YET, but a few things to consider before writing off the lowly Jackets.

1. The Dresden team they barely lost to was a very different Dresden team that we see today. At the time they played them Dresden had a VERY athletic QB who was a notch or two below Kendall Harper. He blew his knee out in the game against Greenfield.

2. Greenfields defense is better than UC.

3. Greenfields run game is better than UC.

4. UC pass game is much better than Greenfields.

5. UC special teams are much better than Greenfields.

6. UC depth is much better than Greenfields.

I will list a prediction later. I have to think about this one a little.

What people are referring to when they say that UC is not what they used to be is that the competitive nature that UC has always brought to the field is lacking and that results in lay-down losses-They seem to be piling up! To say that UC is a single A school and is doing well for single A is a cop out!! I remember when UC used to pound Bruceton in pre-season scrimmages-I mean not even close, and now UC has lost 2 in a row to Bruceton!?!?! Who cares that UC beat the heck out of South Fulton! Even though UC is in a single A region, they ought to be measuring their success on quality double A games. Dresden doesn't count! Prediction-- UC will eventually be back in double A--what excuse are the fans/players going to use then when they can't win region games! Just because numbers dictate classification, numbers don't dictate mentality and UC's community mentality is single A, single A, single A.....! It's alright to get pounded by Westview-We're single A now!! Trousdale County and Milan have both stepped up in the past and been successful in classifications that were bigger than their schools! JCS is having a great year and they just stepped up from single A into the best double A region in the state and they are having success! Why? Because they haven't developed a single A mentality like that of the UC community! The old purple helmets and purple uniforms used to make opponents cringe! Coming from where UC came from, it's hard to get up for the Greenfield game! It's easy to have confidence and play hard when you know you are going to pound someone!

What people are referring to when they say that UC is not what they used to be is that the competitive nature that UC has always brought to the field is lacking and that results in lay-down losses-They seem to be piling up! To say that UC is a single A school and is doing well for single A is a cop out!! I remember when UC used to pound Bruceton in pre-season scrimmages-I mean not even close, and now UC has lost 2 in a row to Bruceton!?!?! Who cares that UC beat the heck out of South Fulton! Even though UC is in a single A region, they ought to be measuring their success on quality double A games. Dresden doesn't count! Prediction-- UC will eventually be back in double A--what excuse are the fans/players going to use then when they can't win region games! Just because numbers dictate classification, numbers don't dictate mentality and UC's community mentality is single A, single A, single A.....! It's alright to get pounded by Westview-We're single A now!! Trousdale County and Milan have both stepped up in the past and been successful in classifications that were bigger than their schools! JCS is having a great year and they just stepped up from single A into the best double A region in the state and they are having success! Why? Because they haven't developed a single A mentality like that of the UC community! The old purple helmets and purple uniforms used to make opponents cringe! Coming from where UC came from, it's hard to get up for the Greenfield game! It's easy to have confidence and play hard when you know you are going to pound someone!

I do not disagree with you, but Trousdale played up to avoid travel and a school named Alcoa.

Greenfield 42

Union City 38

Greenfield will run at will on Union City. Union City will pass at will on Greenfield. High scoring affair. Big win for the Jackets.

'

I dont think there is any way Greenfield will score 42 points on UC. Just like Butchie said Greenfield wont have that much steam to put together a full hard fought 48 minutes and after seeing both othe them play i toltally agree with that. Seeing both of them play SF, I could say that UC will come out victorious. And u can alsways say that UC is always well conditioned and the never quit. That shows in quite a few games the past few years where the have come back and beat teams when down by 14 points or more in the second half.

Greenfield might have scored more points on SF than UC did but SF came out "Flat as a Fritter" as Coach Wood would say. Good luck to both teams but UC will win this one easily with the depth and how good they both run and throw the ball.

UC-49

GF-16

Alot of what Lucero posted is absolutely true......These teams Union City is playing now would not have been even a threat to Union City 10 years ago....Matter of fact it would have been a joke to play them....Heck the first year UC went down to 1A they were undefeated in the region and went to the state championship game...They lost to a team that had not only played up but played up to 3A ball and yes it was to avoid Alcoa....Even still Union City would have thrashed TC with either of their state runner-up teams of 97 and 00...Both years UC went 14-0 before losing in the championship game against what was called the strongest 2A schedule in the state....It is hard for me and most other Union City fans who sat in packed stadiums across West Tennessee in "games of the week"and watched UC win game after game and be feared by opponents.....I would never have thought Union City would be in a position to where they would be on the road to play a playoff game in 1A...Never.....

A great example of what moving down in classification does is down at Trenton Peabody.....They were 2A for years and dropped down...They made it to the 1A championship game in 1991 before losing to FRA 27-8 in Nashville....When they did move back up to 2A it was something like 10 years before they had another winning season...Union City had 3-7 and 2-8 records the last two seasons in 2A,so the talent level did cycle down like most schools do at one time or another....Example,Humboldt...When I played and before,they were beasts on the football field...They won a state championship in 1979 against Maryville..IN MARYVILLE..and then it was not until 1995 they made it back only to lose in 3A to Marion County....They have had un-Humboldt like teams later on in the 90's and early 2000's...That was a program I would never would have thought would have cycled out of talent...But it happens....

You look at McKenzie right now...I don't think they have "played down" to the 1A competition...They lost a hard fought game in Trenton this season and beat Huntingdon,for the second year in a row,this season also.....I think UC has to an extent played down to competition...Why??...I don't know..We still have athletes that are better or as good as most of the teams we play....IF we had a defense this season it would be hard for teams to keep up with us,because we are going to score....Defense was a focal point in the offseason so it wasn't like the coaches didn't stress it...Defense is an attitude and the coaches can't go out and make the tackles.....I don't think the majority of our guys have that mean-streak in them like used to be in the program...There used to be an arrogance,a swagger about playing defense at Union City...My senior year in 1983 we only allowed 59 points in a 9-2 season..In 1997 when UC went 14-1 we allowed 72 points total and 2000 in another 14-1 year we only allowed 121....Against top-notch opposition...

We may go up in classification someday..I know right now we are playing 2A and 3A teams in JV and freshman games,mainly because we have to because the other teams in our region don't have JV and freshman teams....We are 2-0 in JV action and 4-1 in freshman...Right now they are not backing down to anybody and are playing tough hard-nosed defense....Still,it would be very tough to move up to 2A in 2009.....

Union City comes into this game off a win at home against South Fulton 47-12....Union City rolled out to a 41-6 halftime lead and came out on the first drive of the second half with another TD to go up 47-6 and watched the clock run via the Mercy Rule the rest of the night.....There wasn't much talk about this game the week prior because people knew what was going to happen..No need for trash talk in this one....Although these two schools are in the same county there doesn't seem to be that rivalry feel to the series yet...It was Fall Break for both schools and quite a few folks were out of town I guess but this one wasn't very well attended by either team and had a kind of "ho-hum" feel to it.....The UC-SF game will be a special one for our head coach,Jim Fishel,because he starred at SF as a QB in the late 70's on some fine SF teams...

This week the crowd should be a little more amped up because Union City will roll into town in an important game for both squads....Union City is 2-2 in region play and has their toughest region games in it's rear-view mirror...Greenfield is 3-1 and has all the tough region games coming up...The Jackets came back down to Earth a little Thursday nite after facing the class of the region in a 41-8 loss to McKenzie....Union City hasn't had any trouble with Greenfield since their move down to 1A....

Union City will rely on the arm and legs of Brett White to carry the Tornadoes...Pat Polk,Josh Nicks,Kendrick Price and Cameron Sherwood will carry the load when UC rushes the ball.....White's favorite target lately has been Taylor Bruff who runs good routes and has good hands....

Greenfield will counter with Colin Medling,Chase McMullen,Brett Perkins and Daniel Ricketts........This team has a few starters returning from last seasons 3-7 record....Most of these guys are still underclassmen,so coach Jason Rodehaver has this team headed in the right direction....He is big on working hard and discipline and that's always a good thing...

Union City and Greenfield have some common opponents...Greenfield has played Dresden and lost 35-20..UC beat the Lions 36-30......Greenfield beat South Fulton 54-13..UC beat SF 47-12.....Greenfield lost to McKenzie 41-8 and UC lost to the Rebels 42-39.....No disrespect to Greenfield but they were lucky enough to get the weakest region opponents first and won them all..When they did play a good region team they got beat pretty good...Their schedule is a tough one from here on out...Union City had to play the big dogs all at the start and came out 1-2 and the weaker teams are left.....This game scares me a little because Greenfield will run the ball down your throat but are not afraid to put it in the air...And it's at Greenfield so the Jacket fans will give the home team alot of energy...UC seems to be more focused and play better when they are away from home though....Union City has scored less than 28 points only once this season so we all know the Tornadoes will score points...As has been the case all season,the question is can they stop anybody...I think UC will stop Greenfield enough and then their depth will kick in....

Union City-39

Greenfield-12

Purple & Gold Standard,

That is a very good breakdown of ya'lls game with Greenfield but took more effort than playing them will this Friday night. They have had a good season for Greenfield (Oh yeah, ya'll are definitely not at an all time low either) but, all I can say is don't beat them over a couple of TD's or there are a couple on here who will hound you mercilessly for many days to come. They do have a few good athletes but, no "team" concept yet. The fact that they have just now run into the "meat" of the region doesn't seem to set too well with them????

Union City should handle Greenfield without too much trouble. Get to Wimpy's by 5 to 5:15, eat and get to the stadium by 6:15-6:30 or you will have to stand up probably. Top row is the only way to go there. Do all that and you will have a good evening. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Alot of what Lucero posted is absolutely true......These teams Union City is playing now would not have been even a threat to Union City 10 years ago....Matter of fact it would have been a joke to play them....Heck the first year UC went down to 1A they were undefeated in the region and went to the state championship game...They lost to a team that had not only played up but played up to 3A ball and yes it was to avoid Alcoa....Even still Union City would have thrashed TC with either of their state runner-up teams of 97 and 00...Both years UC went 14-0 before losing in the championship game against what was called the strongest 2A schedule in the state....It is hard for me and most other Union City fans who sat in packed stadiums across West Tennessee in "games of the week"and watched UC win game after game and be feared by opponents.....I would never have thought Union City would be in a position to where they would be on the road to play a playoff game in 1A...Never.....

A great example of what moving down in classification does is down at Trenton Peabody.....They were 2A for years and dropped down...They made it to the 1A championship game in 1991 before losing to FRA 27-8 in Nashville....When they did move back up to 2A it was something like 10 years before they had another winning season...Union City had 3-7 and 2-8 records the last two seasons in 2A,so the talent level did cycle down like most schools do at one time or another....Example,Humboldt...When I played and before,they were beasts on the football field...They won a state championship in 1979 against Maryville..IN MARYVILLE..and then it was not until 1995 they made it back only to lose in 3A to Marion County....They have had un-Humboldt like teams later on in the 90's and early 2000's...That was a program I would never would have thought would have cycled out of talent...But it happens....

You look at McKenzie right now...I don't think they have "played down" to the 1A competition...They lost a hard fought game in Trenton this season and beat Huntingdon,for the second year in a row,this season also.....I think UC has to an extent played down to competition...Why??...I don't know..We still have athletes that are better or as good as most of the teams we play....IF we had a defense this season it would be hard for teams to keep up with us,because we are going to score....Defense was a focal point in the offseason so it wasn't like the coaches didn't stress it...Defense is an attitude and the coaches can't go out and make the tackles.....I don't think the majority of our guys have that mean-streak in them like used to be in the program...There used to be an arrogance,a swagger about playing defense at Union City...My senior year in 1983 we only allowed 59 points in a 9-2 season..In 1997 when UC went 14-1 we allowed 72 points total and 2000 in another 14-1 year we only allowed 121....Against top-notch opposition...

We may go up in classification someday..I know right now we are playing 2A and 3A teams in JV and freshman games,mainly because we have to because the other teams in our region don't have JV and freshman teams....We are 2-0 in JV action and 4-1 in freshman...Right now they are not backing down to anybody and are playing tough hard-nosed defense....Still,it would be very tough to move up to 2A in 2009.....

Good post

Purple & Gold Standard,

That is a very good breakdown of ya'lls game with Greenfield but took more effort than playing them will this Friday night. They have had a good season for Greenfield (Oh yeah, ya'll are definitely not at an all time low either) but, all I can say is don't beat them over a couple of TD's or there are a couple on here who will hound you mercilessly for many days to come. They do have a few good athletes but, no "team" concept yet. The fact that they have just now run into the "meat" of the region doesn't seem to set too well with them????

Union City should handle Greenfield without too much trouble. Get to Wimpy's by 5 to 5:15, eat and get to the stadium by 6:15-6:30 or you will have to stand up probably. Top row is the only way to go there. Do all that and you will have a good evening. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You know duckman....I have never seen a game in Greenfield,football or basketball...I have been too busy the last 4 years going to places like Alamo,Dyersburg,Ripley,Brownsville,Newbern,Covington and before that Milan,Humboldt,Huntingdon and Martin....LOL...I don't even know what Wimpy's is or where it is.....I'm not even sure where the high school is.....Last week was only the second time I have EVER seen South Fulton...The other time was wayyyy back when they played in the Civitan Bowl in Union City....

It Aint Like Memphis Or Nashville. It's Greenfield. Wimpy's Is A Hamburger Joint That Is Awesome, And Is By The Cop Shop Accross The Railroad Tracks On Your Left On Your Way In On 45. The School Will Be A Right At The Light. The Only Light On 45 On Your Way In On 45. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Wimpy's Will Be The Highlight of Your Evening. But Your Band May be. The Game Will Wind Down To A Massacre That You Will Lose Interest In. The Rebel Players Got Tired Of Trashing Them And Started To Play Sloppy It Was That Bad. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

You know duckman....I have never seen a game in Greenfield,football or basketball...I have been too busy the last 4 years going to places like Alamo,Dyersburg,Ripley,Brownsville,Newbern,Covington and before that Milan,Humboldt,Huntingdon and Martin....LOL...I don't even know what Wimpy's is or where it is.....I'm not even sure where the high school is.....Last week was only the second time I have EVER seen South Fulton...The other time was wayyyy back when they played in the Civitan Bowl in Union City....

Wimpy's is one of the coolest Hamburger joints in Tennessee (and they have other stuff too.) When you come into Greenfield from Martin and get to the redlight, turn left to go to Wimpys. It's just on the other side of the RR tracks and down to your left on Front St. (it will be on the right side of the street but, everything is on the right side of that street. To get to the school, turn right at the same red light and the school/ field will be on your left a few blocks from the red light. Both are easy to find and will be worth the trip. Just get to the field at least an hour before kick off if you want to sit down and to see.

As for Wimpy's, they have a Jr. Wimpy that will take care of most but, since it's your first time, go all out and order the Wimpy burger. Personally, I like the mushroom cheese Wimpy. Bacon is good on it too. I get mine fully loaded and a doggie box when I get there. That will feed me that night and for lunch the next day!!!! Now if you can REALLY chow down, order the double Wimpy!!!! If you can eat one of those in one sitting my hat is off to you sir. I can't even figure out how to bite one of 'em!!! It's pretty much a must do when in Greenfield!!! Get there about 5 or 5:15 and you will beat the crowd both to the restaurant and to the field. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />