Science Hill @ Campbell CO.

FTBMAN

The reality is that the Science Hill offense is no better after week 7 than in week one. No personel adjustments. The reality is that Coach Smith cannot come to grips with the fact that he doesn't have the players to run the system he wants to. It appears that the system is more important to him than wins. The reality is that his platoon system does not let Science Hill keep all of its best players on the field at one time putting them at a disadvantage. The platoon system came into being because at the South game SHHS cramped because they were so poorly conditioned prior to the season. The reality is Coach Smith probably doesn't have the capacity to change. And the worst part of all is that the Seniors have seen their chance for a strong season go up in smoke for reasons largely not of their own making. Pray for a miracle turn-around. Hang in there Toppers!

AMEN

I agree 100%, that is exactly what I see!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science Hill fans many times the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. I believe you got rid of a good coach in Bowles thinking you was getting some gold. When you get fools gold it is very hard to come to grips that indeed you maybe have been fooled. Hang in there though things might get better but in the future look at things harder people are not always what they seem. By the way bowles is having a great season down the road in Virginia.

The reality is that the Science Hill offense is no better after week 7 than in week one. No personel adjustments. The reality is that Coach Smith cannot come to grips with the fact that he doesn't have the players to run the system he wants to. It appears that the system is more important to him than wins. The reality is that his platoon system does not let Science Hill keep all of its best players on the field at one time putting them at a disadvantage. The platoon system came into being because at the South game SHHS cramped because they were so poorly conditioned prior to the season. The reality is Coach Smith probably doesn't have the capacity to change. And the worst part of all is that the Seniors have seen their chance for a strong season go up in smoke for reasons largely not of their own making. Pray for a miracle turn-around. Hang in there Toppers!

Wow, you must have been one of the five or so Dads at Civitan today watching our daughter's play soccer. Your thoughts were echoed by all of us. The spread offense is what it is........however you still have to have tactics and our system is all about running plays that TACTICALLY DO NOT fit individual situations. Also, the two platoon system has absolutely hurt the team. I honestly don't understand it. The 5A teams around Nashville don't do it. Heck, Maryville doesn't do it. William Blount's QB plays Corner on Defense. You know what I mean?

Wow, you must have been one of the five or so Dads at Civitan today watching our daughter's play soccer. Your thoughts were echoed by all of us. The spread offense is what it is........however you still have to have tactics and our system is all about running plays that TACTICALLY DO NOT fit individual situations. Also, the two platoon system has absolutely hurt the team. I honestly don't understand it. The 5A teams around Nashville don't do it. Heck, Maryville doesn't do it. William Blount's QB plays Corner on Defense. You know what I mean?

I know what you mean. I agree with Tornado98, topper1, sadtopper, lllll, and The Hill, that his system does not fit his personal. This was my argument to Topvol on the 2 platoon system, why in the world have a 2 platoon system and not make the playoffs. The best players need to be on the field in order to win High School football. Does the hill have 85 scholarship players where we can make a 2 platoon system work???? No. When It comes to close games we need players on the field that are going to make plays. DB even plays players on both sides of the ball which is why coach Graham has a winning tradition.

I have 3 young boys (7th, 4th, 3rd grade) and I hope we can build a winning tradition at the hill. Winning is attitude that is taught. With the talent in the 7th, 8th and 9th grade alone we should make a run at the state when the 9th graders are seniors. The winning has to start right now!!!! Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else. In coach Smiths case that means not giving up on his system, but down grading it to fit the players we have now. I like the fact he has the guts to make calls to go for it on 4th and long, but don't let your guts lose the game for the kids. Those calls should be made when it will benfit us, not hurt us. I Know the 7th grade team has a wealth of talent in which their only loss was to a 8th grade bluff city team in which it was a close game. If we a going to stop Chris (frsh rb.) and DB we better have a winning attitude going into that game. Well good luck Science Hill. Guys read the signature, live and play by it.

Science Hill 21

Campbell Co. 20

I know what you mean. I agree with Tornado98, topper1, sadtopper, lllll, and The Hill, that his system does not fit his personal. This was my argument to Topvol on the 2 platoon system, why in the world have a 2 platoon system and not make the playoffs. The best players need to be on the field in order to win High School football. Does the hill have 85 scholarship players where we can make a 2 platoon system work???? No. When It comes to close games we need players on the field that are going to make plays. DB even plays players on both sides of the ball which is why coach Graham has a winning tradition.

I have 3 young boys (7th, 4th, 3rd grade) and I hope we can build a winning tradition at the hill. Winning is attitude that is taught. With the talent in the 7th, 8th and 9th grade alone we should make a run at the state when the 9th graders are seniors. The winning has to start right now!!!! Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else. In coach Smiths case that means not giving up on his system, but down grading it to fit the players we have now. I like the fact he has the guts to make calls to go for it on 4th and long, but don't let your guts lose the game for the kids. Those calls should be made when it will benfit us, not hurt us. I Know the 7th grade team has a wealth of talent in which their only loss was to a 8th grade bluff city team in which it was a close game. If we a going to stop Chris (frsh rb.) and DB we better have a winning attitude going into that game. Well good luck Science Hill. Guys read the signature, live and play by it.

Science Hill 21

Campbell Co. 20

I was merely answering a question, I never said that I agreed with the two platoon system. If those kids that are now playing weren't good enough to play at the start of the season, they shouldn't be playing just because a panic button was pushed. It would be nice to see Hill starting at qb, Joslin, McKinley, Adams at wideouts and have Jordan at an Hback/te for a lead blocking, Duanah at tb and run the spread option and see how defenses could respond. There would be changes on defense too, most noteable at corner.

Science Hill fans many times the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. I believe you got rid of a good coach in Bowles thinking you was getting some gold. When you get fools gold it is very hard to come to grips that indeed you maybe have been fooled. Hang in there though things might get better but in the future look at things harder people are not always what they seem. By the way bowles is having a great season down the road in Virginia.

bowles is a loser who's happy being one. He's winning in sw va might be more to do with a fire being lit under him after his fring. He inherited a talent team that plays in a very weak classification. His true self will show. bowles had been long gone before Smith was hired so it wasn't like he was gotten rid of to make room for Smith. Instead of throwing the ball ineffectively we would be running the ball ineffectively.

bowles is a loser who's happy being one. He's winning in sw va might be more to do with a fire being lit under him after his fring. He inherited a talent team that plays in a very weak classification. His true self will show. bowles had been long gone before Smith was hired so it wasn't like he was gotten rid of to make room for Smith. Instead of throwing the ball ineffectively we would be running the ball ineffectively.

Bowles has more than "1" win over a 5A team with a winning record. With Bowles as head coach Science Hill would have only one loss, (to Bearden). The sad part is, if Gilligan lucks up and beats DB Johnson City will have a parade downtown on Saturday and add 5 years to his contract.

Bowles has more than "1" win over a 5A team with a winning record. With Bowles as head coach Science Hill would have only one loss, (to Bearden). The sad part is, if Gilligan lucks up and beats DB Johnson City will have a parade downtown on Saturday and add 5 years to his contract.

What 5a teams are those and what years? I know in the three years that I've been involved with the football program, bowles didn't one of those wins. The only win I can think of that he had against a playoff team was Tn High in 2005.

Great words to most of the thoughts in the Topper Nation.

I tried to tell you guys back in August that Daniel Sharp would not get it done for you. He is a great kid but is not the great qb that he is trying to be made into.

I also told you that Daniel Norris was a great athlete that should be given a chance. He was not even brought to workouts this summer with the varsity. He may make mistakes as a freshman, but his athleticism would make some plays that the others couldn't dream of.

Say what you want to about Bowles the game is about running and hitting what you have with Smith is gimmicks do you think you win state with that offense and that type of defense. Don't get me wrong the offense and the defense that is being used now is a great change of pace but to hang your hat on it will get you beat in the long run. We have to get our kids to physically better. Look at the teams that beat us they all was physical with us. Bowles had some teams that was very physical say what you will about the man when he arrived his first team had only 35 players. The mark of a good coach is if dyou left the program better than when you arrived.

I was merely answering a question, I never said that I agreed with the two platoon system. If those kids that are now playing weren't good enough to play at the start of the season, they shouldn't be playing just because a panic button was pushed. It would be nice to see Hill starting at qb, Joslin, McKinley, Adams at wideouts and have Jordan at an Hback/te for a lead blocking, Duanah at tb and run the spread option and see how defenses could respond. There would be changes on defense too, most noteable at corner.

My fault topvol it was a question and not an arguement. I was under the impression that you agreed with the 2 platoon system. Daniel Sharp is a Junior isn't he? So are we going to have the same situation next year?