South Pittsburg vs. North Jackson, AL

MC1170

I personally would love to see this state line match-up. what do you think the outcome would be. SP is very dominant, beating the likes of 2a Boyd, Tyner, and my Warriors. North Jackson also is very dominant in its own right, with wins over fellow 2a powerhouse Limestone Co. as well as 4a, 5a, and 6a Alabama teams. I would love to attend this game at say.....Finley Stadium.....on a Saturday. May this longtime rivalry(SP vs. Bridgeport) could be renewed in the near future.

What are your opinions on this possibility, and what predictions do you have on a game if it were played this year?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would love to see this state line match-up. what do you think the outcome would be. SP is very dominant, beating the likes of 2a Boyd, Tyner, and my Warriors. North Jackson also is very dominant in its own right, with wins over fellow 2a powerhouse Limestone Co. as well as 4a, 5a, and 6a Alabama teams. I would love to attend this game at say.....Finley Stadium.....on a Saturday. May this longtime rivalry(SP vs. Bridgeport) could be renewed in the near future.

What are your opinions on this possibility, and what predictions do you have on a game if it were played this year?

Be glad you don't play North Jackson. They are a powerhouse down in Alabama. They are currently 6-0 and the top-ranked team in Class 4A. I would expect that they would smash any Class A team from up here. They are not 2A and I think you are thinking about East Limestone, not Limestone County. Don't renew the rivalry. You should challenge someone from another state but try a smaller school from Bama or Georgia.

Old Pirate says there "never" has been a contract between SP & NJ. This game is as likely as driving a tractor to Cuba. Ken Colquitte played them when he first arrived at jasper. The game was only played 2 years due to North Jackson's coaching staff implementing a kick off with a sub player intentionally picking a confrontation with jasper's starting QB who was on the kickoff team. The North Jackson sub and the QB were both ejected. Jasper's #2 QB lead the warriors to a win and the contract was never renewed.

OP says North Jackson has actively recruited many local players. Perry Hutchins and Arland Mathews from SP,Kenny Smith from jasper, Brian Meeks from Grundy, Carlton Person from south Ala and a kid a couple of years ago from La. (?) who never was cleared to play for the chiefs are just a few. OP says they have also been forced to forfeit games.

OP says NJ is a 4-A team and SP could compete but the numbers would work heavily against SP long term. SP is a low 1-A team. and currently has approximately 325 students.

OP suggests MC1170 approach the jasper staff about renewing their contract.

Why didn't the scrimmage they had scheduled a year or two ago get played?

Old Pirate says SP was approached about a spring scrimmage game and was installing a new offence and defence. SP had a very young team and this years juniors and seniors were freshmen and sophmores who had a large number of starters. The issue that ultimately caused the game to be cancilled was N J refused to allow the SP coaches on the field during the scrimmage. OP never played or seen another scrimmage that the coaches were not allowed to be on the field.

South Pitt has a great football team this year and so does NJ!! but its not the same kind of football....

South Pitt had their chance and cancelled on NJ because they were scared a year or two ago... dont play NJ they are for real!!!! NJ 52 SP 6

this is someone who knows nothing about reality.

. . . May this longtime rivalry(SP vs. Bridgeport) could be renewed in the near future.

The biggest problem is that its not just the Bridgeport rivalry that would be renewed. It would also be Stevensen which was always way more competitive than Bridgport. Stevenson was always pulling crap on and off the field. The owed SP a final game I think in 1986 at Beene Stadium and canceled because they knew they were going to the wood shed.

Then there's the 1980 Stevenson team that was playing 20+ year old men on the O line and they ended up forfeiting several games because of it. The beat the Pirates down there that year in 3 OTs but SP declined the forfeit offer.

I guess everyone has forgotten SP beating Courtland in 1999 who won the ALadambama 1a title that year. SP also beat Trousdale County in the semis and TC beat Hazlewood who won the Bama 2a title in 1999. TC and SP proved they can hang with the bama powers in their on class. But face it. Stevenson was a 2a school and got merged with Briggeport and as OP pointed out recruit top players down there. It would be equivalent to playing Maryville or Cleveland but with a program that has a history of cheating on and off the field.

The biggest problem is that its not just the Bridgeport rivalry that would be renewed. It would also be Stevensen which was always way more competitive than Bridgport. Stevenson was always pulling crap on and off the field. The owed SP a final game I think in 1986 at Beene Stadium and canceled because they knew they were going to the wood shed.

Then there's the 1980 Stevenson team that was playing 20+ year old men on the O line and they ended up forfeiting several games because of it. The beat the Pirates down there that year in 3 OTs but SP declined the forfeit offer.

I guess everyone has forgotten SP beating Courtland in 1999 who won the ALadambama 1a title that year. SP also beat Trousdale County in the semis and TC beat Hazlewood who won the Bama 2a title in 1999. TC and SP proved they can hang with the bama powers in their on class. But face it. Stevenson was a 2a school and got merged with Briggeport and as OP pointed out recruit top players down there. It would be equivalent to playing Maryville or Cleveland but with a program that has a history of cheating on and off the field.

Old Pirate says rih is on target with most comments. OP would also like to add some information. Bridgeport over the long term was quiet possibly the biggest threat. Post coach Ken McKinny Stevenson had been defeated for about 15-16 yrs in a roll. Coach McKinny told OP the Stevenson supporters/backers told him they didn't exspect to win against SP but only the other svc teams. They told him of SP's dominance and he implemented holding kids back so they would 18-19 yrs old when seniors. The state of Tn's age limit was: must not turn 19 before the first game. Ala's limit would allow but OP is not certain of the exact cutoff date. Stevenson defeated SP every year until coach McKinny's departure over padding grade points for his youngest son who later played QB for Ole Miss.

The thing OP would add is they both participated in unsportsman like behavior, Bridgeport watered grass prior to games and Stevenson intentionally unscrewed cleats in an attempt to slow Bo Haden.

SIMPLY STATED, THEY WERE BOTH COMPETITIVE BUT ALWAYS DRAMA WITH UNSPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT

OP is curious what "rlh" thread name represents?

Old Pirate says there "never" has been a contract between SP & NJ. This game is as likely as driving a tractor to Cuba. Ken Colquitte played them when he first arrived at jasper. The game was only played 2 years due to North Jackson's coaching staff implementing a kick off with a sub player intentionally picking a confrontation with jasper's starting QB who was on the kickoff team. The North Jackson sub and the QB were both ejected. Jasper's #2 QB lead the warriors to a win and the contract was never renewed.

OP says North Jackson has actively recruited many local players. Perry Hutchins and Arland Mathews from SP,Kenny Smith from jasper, Brian Meeks from Grundy, Carlton Person from south Ala and a kid a couple of years ago from La. (?) who never was cleared to play for the chiefs are just a few. OP says they have also been forced to forfeit games.

OP says NJ is a 4-A team and SP could compete but the numbers would work heavily against SP long term. SP is a low 1-A team. and currently has approximately 325 students.

OP suggests MC1170 approach the jasper staff about renewing their contract.

How many players on SP current roster actually live below the state line? Let's be honest now. Just a count not names or jersey numbers please.

How many players on SP current roster actually live below the state line? Let's be honest now. Just a count not names or jersey numbers please.

Old Pirate says none that I know of. OP has known of players who have lived part time in Ala with mothers,fathers and etc. while living in Tn. part time. Maybe you can shed a lite.

Old pirate says none that I know of. OP has known of players who have lived part time in Ala with mothers,fathers and etc. while living in Tn. part time. Maybe you can shed a lite.

O I think that if OP is as close to the program as he says he is then he knows the answer to my question. I said that I dont wont names or numbers so I wont go there. I just asked the question so that someone like you or that Jasper resident ZonePirate would have a opportunity to give an honest answer. You were talking about NJ stealing players I think it is just fair to ask how many bama guys are playing at SP. We both have been around valley football long enough to see players from Bridgeport, Stevenson, (recently NJ), South Pittsburg and Marion County who travel back and forth across the state line. The list that I could name is very long since the early 1970's. Don't act like they are all going one direction because you and me know that's not the truth.