red or yellow?

justlookin

Wow, great replies! (I was too lazy to get my NFHS rule book out and annoyed that they don't have it on line)

OKnative, what area do you ref? (just curious). Sounds like you would be a good one, based on your previous posts and knowledge of the game.

As far as the profanity, not too many refs enforce this rule (which I think is a shame). 2 game suspension does seem harsh, but players need to tame their tongues, just as us coaches need to set good examples as well. While all coaches have bad moments (myself included) I believe a player gets away with what a coach allows or demonstrates him/herself.

Nashville area, but cut my teeth in West Tennessee.

Two game suspension is harsh, but is not a NFHS rules. Don't think its from TSSAA because otherwise we'd hear more about more such suspensions. Sounds more like a school rule. I've known schools, particularly religiously based private schools, that have sanctioned their players, students in the stands and even parents, for misconduct on the field or in the stands. Anyone know who gave that particular suspension.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, great replies! (I was too lazy to get my NFHS rule book out and annoyed that they don't have it on line)

OKnative, what area do you ref? (just curious). Sounds like you would be a good one, based on your previous posts and knowledge of the game.

As far as the profanity, not too many refs enforce this rule (which I think is a shame). 2 game suspension does seem harsh, but players need to tame their tongues, just as us coaches need to set good examples as well. While all coaches have bad moments (myself included) I believe a player gets away with what a coach allows or demonstrates him/herself.

Might be a little sensitive right now but... Nobody is getting away with anything here. And if any coach is consistently demonstrating any kind of profane language, then that coach should be delt with by their adminstration.

Personally, if I slip as a coach, which happens occassionally, I have to run as well. This is very effective in making me monitor my language!

***TSSAA rule - Straight red cards get a two game suspension this year.

One of the many things that make soccer the "beautiful game" are the small number of black/white rules. The referee has the ability to manage the game and allow it to bloom on it's own. Pre-game instructions are vital so the players understand what will and will not be tolerated by a particular referee.

Agreed, but then again, the players should know that referees are going to call something for the "f" word, or a trip from behind, or any of dozens of other fouls. They shouldn't need a reminder. About the only real clarification I give is that if they "extend their arms AND gain an advantage, they're going to be whistled. I don't mind the shoulder to shoulder stuff, but keep your arms in."

The two game rule is a TSSAA rule that was just put into place this year. Their explanation in the coach's rules meeting was that one game for a red did not seem harsh enough due to the fact that we play more than once a week.

Wow, didn't know that! Now I'll have to think about whether that should impact my decision on the field. On the one hand, a foul that deserves a red card - deserves a red card, regardless of the post game penalties. Should there be another hand....

How about teaching our players to have a little class out on the field? If that is not an option, how about instructing them to just keep their mouths shut. Just a thought.

Things don't always go our way on the field, or in life. What great opportunities to teach players this fact and appropriate responses. I'd rather run in that direction than lowering the bar and asking should an official give a yellow or a red card when my player chooses to use profane language on the field. Personal responsibility, what a novel concept.

Teaching class on the field wasn't the topic of discussion. The topic was actually when a red card should be thrown and when a yellow was applicable. The reason this topic is being discussed is because it is a serious decison for the ref to make that obviously furthur impacts not only the game at hand but future games esp. with the new two game suspension rule coming into effect this year. I honestly feel the red card should be used more to protect players from dangerous play or any sort of thing that would endanger them on the field. In many cases if it were up to me I would use the yellow for profanity unless it was excessive. Instead of putting all situations under on net solution in the end it's a personal call the ref makes. Even the classiest of players fall into inappropriate behavior sometimes...but more oftentimes than not that happens not because of a lack of class but because it is a two way street. It's easy to get stunk into what the opponent is doing and to resort to those tactics. Doesn't make it any less wrong or any more right. Just the facts. But yes we should strive to stay perfect and preserve our class on the field. Unfortunately no player is perfect.

How about this then-Keep it consistent! If YOU CAN'T USE FOUL LANGUAGE then YOU CAN'T USE FOUL LANGUAGE! In this instance a red card was thrown for the use of a single profane word the ref could hear. Later in the same game the opposing team's goalie yells out a single profane word that the sideline crowd can clearly hear-did it on two seperate occassions! Incidental? Twice? No red card? No yellow card? Let's help the young people out there learn what is right and what is unacceptable because in this case right and wrong seems pretty fuzzy. In my opinion, whatever a ref chooses to call needs to be called consistently throughout the game on both sides. The officiating in this case was poor, not only because he went straight to a red card but because he so blatently didn't pull a card any other time.

When the captains meet for the coin toss, the center ref should remind the captains that profanity can and will be a cardable offense. The center ref should also instruct the captains of other "points of emphasis" as to how he/she will call the game. Sort of like the referees instructions befor a prize fight.

I am a referee and I should never have to remind any player that profanity is a cardable offense. That's like me telling them that kicking is a foul.

I know the refree last night that gave out the red card and I have ref with him on numberous occassions and he has refereed my son as well. He is an excellent referee with excellent knowledge of the rules. Most referees, not all, including myself, will let profanity go the first time, especially if it were a slip of the tounge and they will give you a warning. However, if it is directed at any way at a player, coach or referee, slip of the tounge or not, the red card is coming. When you direct at another player out on the pitch, it is not a slip of the tounge. If a player has a bad strike, a bad pass, etc.. sometimes in the heat of the moment something does slip and most referees that I have had the privledge of working with let that go with a warning.

A pre-game is done with the center referee and his AR's before every game and majority of the time this topic is brought up and majority of the time the referee will say if you hear something, let me know or if you can let the player know that the next time it is a card. So there it is from a refees view.

The reason this topic is being discussed is because it is a serious decison for the ref to make that obviously furthur impacts not only the game at hand but future games esp. with the new two game suspension rule coming into effect this year. I honestly feel the red card should be used more to protect players from dangerous play or any sort of thing that would endanger them on the field. In many cases if it were up to me I would use the yellow for profanity unless it was excessive. Instead of putting all situations under on net solution in the end it's a personal call the ref makes. Even the classiest of players fall into inappropriate behavior sometimes...but more oftentimes than not that happens not because of a lack of class but because it is a two way street. It's easy to get stunk into what the opponent is doing and to resort to those tactics. Doesn't make it any less wrong or any more right. Just the facts. But yes we should strive to stay perfect and preserve our class on the field. Unfortunately no player is perfect.

The rules don't care whether its emotion, or excitement, or nasty tactics - the rules are the rules. The players and coaches now know that a red card has serious implications on future games, so they should be striving harder not to infringe upon those rules.

But, the threat of a red card isn't just about protecting players from dangerous play. Its also about sportsmanship - which is what HS sports is supposed to be about. And beyond dangerous behavior, there are lots of things that simply shouldn't be in HS sports and most of them are punished with a red card - taunting, vulgar and abusive language, racial slurs and violence. They deserve a red just as much as the fouls meant to protect the players from injury on the field.

I know the refree last night that gave out the red card and I have ref with him on numberous occassions and he has refereed my son as well. He is an excellent referee with excellent knowledge of the rules. Most referees, not all, including myself, will let profanity go the first time, especially if it were a slip of the tounge and they will give you a warning. However, if it is directed at any way at a player, coach or referee, slip of the tounge or not, the red card is coming. When you direct at another player out on the pitch, it is not a slip of the tounge. If a player has a bad strike, a bad pass, etc.. sometimes in the heat of the moment something does slip and most referees that I have had the privledge of working with let that go with a warning.

Thank you Blackmandad.. A Ref. whose knows something about game manangement. Since this is comment on the ref day I would like to add mine. As a Coach/ Ref (FIFA) I find that most TSSAA refs have a good handle on the "Laws of the Game" but lack sometimes on their "Game Management Skills". And I also realize that HS soccer is a different game than club, with a different type of parent yelling from the stands that might not know the little ins & outs of the game. I guess what my comment is to the TSSAA refs is..."Game Management"

The officiating in this case was poor, not only because he went straight to a red card but because he so blatently didn't pull a card any other time.

Said player had already been warned earlier by the ref for other detrimental actions. Player had been fouled, which the ref correctly called, but retaliated by trying to kick the player who comitted the foul. Ref stopped play and warnings were given. If the earlier action had not occured, the language probably would have only gotten a yellow instead of the red.