FATHER RYAN VS MBA

fiftyfifty

Big,

Take a dad gummed english class. You get on here and sound like a 5th grader in your posts. Nobody things it's cool, cute or macho for you to pretend to be some uneducated, gangster type. I've tried to tell you earlier, the people giving out scholarships these days are not looking for thugs any longer. That crap no longer plays. Grow up.

Ole Dad

what do you know about education ya ole DAd

hahah

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly, this rivalry has really been diluted by the creation of d2-aaa. Back in the day, MBA-FRHS was a really unique game on the schedule for both teams. People knew each other on either side. Plenty of MBA kids came up through the Catholic grade school system and played sports with many of the FRHS kids. As has been rehashed numerous times, the Nashville mega-public schools (versus the old neighborhood schools) meant that when playing against Hillwood, Hillsboro, Overton, or whoever, MBA and Ryan kids where playing against total strangers. Not that the games weren't competitive and intense, but they weren't as "intimate" as MBA vs. Ryan was. MBA and Ryan, to my knowledge, didn't play any other private schools regularly until '97 and d2-aaa.

The heyday of the rivalry was when the FRHS campus was still at Elliston Pl and the game was played at Vanderbilt for FRHS' home game. Like DS wrote, it really was an event for lots of Nashville sports fans in an era before Nashville was a big-time sports town. The 28,000 figure for 1971 is amazing to think about. That is major interest from people not associated with the two schools. It was for a long time the biggest rivalry game in Nashville by far.

Now when we both play BA, Baylor, McCallie, MUS, JPII, and now Ensworth every year, each side gets a steady dose of schools a lot like it. I wish somehow, someway there were a way to keep this rivalry unique, because there is so much history and tradition there. No doubt, BA has become the biggest, most anticipated game on our schedule. But MBA and FRHS, imo, should figure out a way to play this game at Vanderbilt every year, even as MBA's home game. Make it a big neutral site event. The crowds wouldn't be what they used to be, but the game would be unique. A lot of interested people would probably show up at Vandy, but not at Greer Stadium.

Another aspect of the rivalry iin prehistoric days is the fact that among the small number of private high schools, MBA and Ryan were the only two all male ones in the area: BGA was not an NIL school and played a predominantly mid-state schedule. An article in the Tennessean in '73 mentioned that the upcoming MBA-BGA game was the first time the two varsities had played. That seemed a little hard to believe, but if "RollRedRoll" is around, he would be the last word on such matters.

And let's not forget all the Ryan games played at West. That was Ryan's home for a good many years.

Looking forward to Friday's game; if it doesn't rain I'll spend Thursday at the MBA-Ryan Freshman game, and Friday at the Varsity game. Not a bad way to spend a vacation.

Another aspect of the rivalry iin prehistoric days is the fact that among the small number of private high schools, MBA and Ryan were the only two all male ones in the area: BGA was not an NIL school and played a predominantly mid-state schedule. An article in the Tennessean in '73 mentioned that the upcoming MBA-BGA game was the first time the two varsities had played. That seemed a little hard to believe, but if "RollRedRoll" is around, he would be the last word on such matters.

And let's not forget all the Ryan games played at West. That was Ryan's home for a good many years.

Looking forward to Friday's game; if it doesn't rain I'll spend Thursday at the MBA-Ryan Freshman game, and Friday at the Varsity game. Not a bad way to spend a vacation.

thats your vacation? go to hawaii or something

Let me chime in on this Rivalry talk......I graduated from Ryan in the early seventies and I can only remember one Ryan-MBA game that I have missed in that time...For me and friends in my era, this was the ultimate can`t miss game each year....The `71 game at Vandy with 28,000 was as great an atmosphere as I can remember....There have been thrillers as well as blowouts on both sides in the history of this series.......This is the 75th meeting and although the Irish have not won in the last ten years, us older guys still see this as "the game" each year....I have nothing but respect and admiration for both schools as they admirably fulfill their respective educational missions...Except for a couple of years, these two fine schools have been playing each other since 1926....Most lifelong Nashvillians have probably seen at least one Ryan-MBA game....For me, it is an honor and privliege to witness this gridiron showdown each year....Sure, there are the Brentwood Academy and now Ensworth games that have great meaning for MBA as well as Ryan`s budding rivalry with JPII, but I still say Ryan-MBA is "THE Game"

Here`s to a injury free and great football game on Friday! I`m sure I`ll see some of my old friends from BOTH schools....

Fantastic Post.

This is The Game. For all of us that played in it, we remember this game.

For those of us that played pre-D-II, lining up against Overton, Antioch, Ryan, Hillwood, Hillsboro, meant playing against all of our buddies from Church and Summer League Baseball. Every snap, we were hitting our friends and enjoying every minute of it. Our children's generation will have the same situation with MBA, Ryan, Ensworth, and Brentwood Academy; hopefully, their experience will be as memorable as ours was.

Should be a great game. Turnovers will decide it; these teams are too close to call.

Roll Red Roll

I am going to take the top amount of points scored on Father Ryan and say that MBA will score only that much.

MBA - 14

Now I am going to take Father Ryan's lowest score and say they score that much.

Father Ryan - 17

The tides have changed. Father Ryan will go 10-0. MBA will bite the dust of their rival, and the new order of football supremacy in D2 will be restored respectively to Father Ryan.

Ryan 17 MBA 14

That is probably the worst way to determine a winner. Ryan hasnt gone up against anyone with the offensive power or defensive might that MBA has. Please, just think before you post. MBA will simply run down Ryan and pull out a W by a score of:

MBA-24

Ryan-9

mommas boy academy is overrated.

Father Ryan -28

mommas boy academy-14

Ryans gonna beat them in the sandlot!!!

real original, never heard that one before, i actually feel like crying

unlike ryans other opponents, MBA will not be intimidated by late hits and dirty tricks on the bottom of piles, theyll let the game speak for itself

real original, never heard that one before, i actually feel like crying

unlike ryans other opponents, MBA will not be intimidated by late hits and dirty tricks on the bottom of piles, theyll let the game speak for itself

Since when does Ryan throw late hits and play dirty tricks in the pile?........... Is this good enough english for you Ole Dad because i am trying to sound like a gentleman scholar athlete, or a ###### white man whichever you can take your pick.- BIG PLAY 73

yo John Brown you shouldn't be posting on here. current players should not even look at these boards. most people that post are no longer enrolled at their school, but that doesn't mean they can't post. just let your actions speak on the field buddy

PS- I would hate for Ole Dad to call Coach Lussier up and tell him that one of his players is being an idiot and disrespectful on a football forum like this

yo John Brown you shouldn't be posting on here. current players should not even look at these boards. most people that post are no longer enrolled at their school, but that doesn't mean they can't post. just let your actions speak on the field buddy

PS- I would hate for Ole Dad to call Coach Lussier up and tell him that one of his players is being an idiot and disrespectful on a football forum like this

i aint disrespectin nobody. I just give my oppinion like everyone else

thats your vacation? go to hawaii or something

I live in Florida...What 's the thrill of Hawaii? Water on one more side? After 24 years on the coast, I'm afraid that just doesn't hold any thrill for any longer. A change of seasons that doesn't involve the possibility of a hurricane is pretty decent in my book.

I know football is not a transitive sport. (i.e. UT beat Georgia, Bama lost to Georgia, therefore UT is better than Bama), but I am not especially not impressed by Father Ryan's 35-0 win over JPII. Don't get me wrong this is a thrashing, but MBA put up 56 points even with their backups going in early in the second half. This will be one heck of a game to watch because it is usually close, but I got to go with MBA slowly wearing down the Father Ryan team with pounding the ball on offense and their ridiculous play on defense.