Knox West vs Powell

Knoxvegas98

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell finally beat a playoff-caliber team at Central on Friday, which got them over the hump. This game could go either way, especially now that Powell and West are playing much better football at this point in the season. The only thing that would surprise me on Friday would be a very one-sided blowout.

I AGREE THAT THIS IS A KEY GAME FOR BOTH TEAMS. POWELL HAS BEEN PLAYING VERY WELL, AND WEST IS COMING OFF A GAME THAT THEY DIDN'T PLAY THEIR BEST. WHICH MAY BE BAD NEWS FOR POWELL. I SEE WEST COMING OUT ON TOP AND I DONT THINK IT WILL BE AS CLOSE AS YOU THINK, I SEE WEST MAKING A STATEMENT WITH THIS WIN.

Why Powell will beat West and West will beat Central.

Powell have two good running backs and a running QB West won't be able to stop. Powell has a better secondary than Clinton and West had to run against them. So I see Powell beating West this week.

However,West will make the playoffs because Central can't stop the passing game. West should win big on week 10 so all isn't lost.

Most see Powell as a major contender gaining momentum every week.

Well, like I said last week; Powell is getting better as a team at the right time of the year. Given that I haven't seen West play at all this year, I would still have to go out on a limb and pick Powell with a win this week. Powell has a couple of things going their way:

1. Playing at home - Like all teams, playing at home gives you a point.

2. Coaches - The coaches has found out that a good mix of pass first and then run sets the pace for the Panther's.

3. Crunch Time - I think that Powell made a statement last week running off 31 points after giving up 14 in the first Quarter.

It's as simple as 1, 2, 3.

Powell 28 West 14

Go Panthers!!!

Why Powell will beat West and West will beat Central.

Powell have two good running backs and a running QB West won't be able to stop. Powell has a better secondary than Clinton and West had to run against them. So I see Powell beating West this week.

However,West will make the playoffs because Central can't stop the passing game. West should win big on week 10 so all isn't lost.

Most see Powell as a major contender gaining momentum every week.

It's true that West has trouble stopping the run, but aside from Farragut, the teams that do run all over West still have trouble beating them. Take Halls, they had to come back big time and it took double OT. I think this might be an overtime game.

I'll give West some credit, they've played a tough schedule this year, and that makes their record very deceiving. Farragut, Bearden, and Maryville are all top-tier teams. The loss to Halls was a bit of an aberration, similar to the final score of the South Doyle game. I don't really know all that much about West this year, with the exception of Ryan and Wagner. Both of these teams can score, but I think it will come down to who can play defense. This one could go either way.

I'll give West some credit, they've played a tough schedule this year, and that makes their record very deceiving. Farragut, Bearden, and Maryville are all top-tier teams. The loss to Halls was a bit of an aberration, similar to the final score of the South Doyle game. I don't really know all that much about West this year, with the exception of Ryan and Wagner. Both of these teams can score, but I think it will come down to who can play defense. This one could go either way.

I'm not sure I can agree with the aberration reference to the Halls game. Giving up 450 yards rushing (give or take a few) shouldn't win you a ballgame.

I'm not sure I can agree with the aberration reference to the Halls game. Giving up 450 yards rushing (give or take a few) shouldn't win you a ballgame.

but being up by almost 20 points at halftime should, two turnovers within the red zone, one of which is run back, and halls is back in the game, which shouldn't have happend, but thats football....

I call it an aberration, because I don't think that game is a good indicator of what to expect from West defensively (or even Halls, for that matter). I'm not trying to take anything away from Halls in their frantic comeback, but SD almost did the same thing 2 weeks earlier against West, all with a backup QB. Again, I'm a Powell fan and I don't know enough about West to say that they'll do this or that, but an aberration is simply something that goes against the norm or is out of the ordinary. The last time I checked, teams don't often combine for 100+ points in a high school game, plus comebacks like Halls' win against West don't happen every week, and sometimes don't happen during a team's entire season.