What Media (Newspapers/TV) is good for Girl's Soccer

DonCChatt

I've heard people in the past mention various media outlets (Newspapers primarily, but also TV or even Radio), and their coverage (or lack there of) of girl's soccer.

What specific news outlets provide good coverage of gir's soccer. I'm looking more that just allowing you to post an article that you have written, but actually sending a reporter and/or photographer to a game, doing the ocassional player profile once or twice a season.

I'm curious not only on the big city media coverage that has to deal with a multitude of teams, but also the smaller home-town papers that might be able to focus on one or two teams. Please include a link to their website if possible in your posts.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DonC, you have hit a sore spot w/me on this topic. I feel the Chatt. Times FP is some what bias in the Chatt. area with their coverage of local soccer (what little there is). If your not Baylor, N. Dame, or the Lady Owls your not. Those 3 schools get, in my own opinion, 80% of the soccer coverage. Granted from time to time, CCS, GPS, Boyd B., Soddy get a bone, the other schools get nothing.

I've seen the Knox. paper and think they due a fine job with local soccer coverage, but not the Times FP.

Advice; Times more coverage for all local sports, Soccer, Baseball, Volleyball ect. If I want an indepht view of the Falcons I'll watch Spotscenter.

DonC, you have hit a sore spot w/me on this topic. I feel the Chatt. Times FP is some what bias in the Chatt. area with their coverage of local soccer (what little there is). If your not Baylor, N. Dame, or the Lady Owls your not. Those 3 schools get, in my own opinion, 80% of the soccer coverage. Granted from time to time, CCS, GPS, Boyd B., Soddy get a bone, the other schools get nothing.

I've seen the Knox. paper and think they due a fine job with local soccer coverage, but not the Times FP.

Advice; Times more coverage for all local sports, Soccer, Baseball, Volleyball ect. If I want an indepht view of the Falcons I'll watch Spotscenter.

It does seem to go in cycles. I remember two years ago that CCS seemed to be in the paper all the time. Last year, Notre Dame got the nod. I have no idea how they choose who to cover, but I do know that we often invite the TFP to our games, along with the Chattanoogan.com. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. At the end of the season, it's probably to late, but have you explored the Soddy Daisy section that they include once a week (I think). I suspect that for most sports (other than Football, of course), you will always be hungry for coverage.

It does seem to go in cycles. I remember two years ago that CCS seemed to be in the paper all the time. Last year, Notre Dame got the nod. I have no idea how they choose who to cover, but I do know that we often invite the TFP to our games, along with the Chattanoogan.com. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. At the end of the season, it's probably to late, but have you explored the Soddy Daisy section that they include once a week (I think). I suspect that for most sports (other than Football, of course), you will always be hungry for coverage.

Interresting I'll check that out....Thanks /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The Jackson Sun if very favorable to girl's soccer - if you happen to play for the University School of Jackson. Otherwise, you get a box score - maybe.

I tend to disagree somewhat. There have been several good articles on JCS and as of today, they had a nice one on Madison. They have also named "Players of the week" from USJ, JCS and Madison. I would like to have seen more coverage on Liberty and the fact that they are playing in the Regionals for the first time...with their move up to AAA. Overall, I am very pleased with the Jackson Sun. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I've heard people in the past mention various media outlets (Newspapers primarily, but also TV or even Radio), and their coverage (or lack there of) of girl's soccer.

What specific news outlets provide good coverage of gir's soccer. I'm looking more that just allowing you to post an article that you have written, but actually sending a reporter and/or photographer to a game, doing the ocassional player profile once or twice a season.

I'm curious not only on the big city media coverage that has to deal with a multitude of teams, but also the smaller home-town papers that might be able to focus on one or two teams. Please include a link to their website if possible in your posts.

Based on what I have seen...the Chattanooga paper outshines the Nashville Tennessean at soccer...perhaps we have to compete for press with Vandy, UT, Preds, Titans, etc...so they are more limited....not sure about Memphis, Jackson, and Knoxville papers.

Another question: Any recommendations for cultivating good media relations (without bugging the #@!#% out of them)?

I always have my parents (as well as myself) write a thank you e mail or letter to the newspaper thanking them for the article that they did. I know it sounds cheezy, but it seems to help. Remember, "sugar not vinegar".

My point was proven this week Soddy got a better write up from their opponents paper than our local paper. While Baylor and N.Dame rules the press.

Hey CCS, GPS glad you got a bone.

In October we linked to 93 articles that at least mentioned soccer which seems to be more than in the past.

In looking back, we only had 26 articles on Women's soccer in October, 2006, but some of the difference in these numbers may be my fault, by not finding the articles, instead of the papers. However, you have to think this means that the coverage is much better now than before.