Smyrna vs Riverdale

82cat

according to the rule book scince he blew the wistle before riverdale had it we should have still had the ball

I watched the game on TV. I couldn`t hear the whistle, but it was clearly evident that the ref was signaling incomplete pass before the ball was actually intercepted. If he blew the whistle before it was caught then it was Smyrna who actually got a bad call on them if the refs gave the ball to Riverdale. Play stops when the whistle is blown. If he blew the whistle at the same time he was signaling then the ball should have stayed with Smyrna in that case.

I couldn`t believe the announcers never caught on to what was being called. They kept saying it should be a Riverdale TD. I guess they have never heard of an inadvertent whistle. Tough break for Riverdale that the whistle blew early. Tough break for Smyrna if they gave the ball to Riverdale and the whistle blew before th actual interception which appears to be what happened.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so great game to both teams...and i cant wait till the playoffs....cause now riverdale knows it wasnt luck that we really can take it too them

go smyrna

Sure it was luck...your team (with a little officiating help) made it a close game but the fact still remains RIVERDALE WON!!! so Smyrna still only 1 win vs Riverdale... yeah Luck

Couple of things.

On the size of Smyrna (and Lavergne's) visitor seating - that has been a topic of discussion for some time - look back at some previous Daily New Journals - but don't blame Smyrna and Lavergne High School - they have asked for more seating and the county has not fulfilled their wishes... Call your local school board member and county commissioner and ask for more seating at those venues....

On the 'out of bounds' play - a typical 'different side of the field sees different things' - from the Riverdale side, live, it appeared that the Riverdale kid hit Gray about a foot inbounds - either way the whistle didn't blow until after Sonny was hit - there seemed to be a problem last night in when the whistle would blow from time to time?

And I agree with some Smyrna folks - if you watch the Sonny 'interception' on CSS the referee is waving incomplete frantically as soon as the ball slips out of Sonny's hand - as if to let everyone know the it didn't go backward to be a fumble - but he forgot it had to touch the ground part - if you have a DVR and can slow motion it - watch the referee's reaction when he sees the Riverdale kid running with the ball - I have a hunch it should have stayed Smyrna's football?????

Jeff and I predicted on the radio Thursday it would come down to the kicking game and turnovers. And that is what it came down to. Just two great teams playing a great game.

As far as fans and 'behavior' goes - try being the only person in Legends on a Friday night wearing Riverdale apparel while the restaurant is feeding the Smyrna band and their parents... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> But we had a good time. (well, most of us) - after all it is just kids playing a game!

I am at the office as I type this but can't wait to get home to watch more of the game - I want to check out that pass interference on 4th and 15 again - live it looked liked a Smyrna wideout pulled a Bill Lambeer flop move to get the call.. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sure it was luck...your team (with a little officiating help) made it a close game but the fact still remains RIVERDALE WON!!! so Smyrna still only 1 win vs Riverdale... yeah Luck

go ahead and keep telling yourself it was luck.

Limbaugh, go back and watch the tv replay of the game. Sonny was standing on the sideline carpet when he was hit out of bounds. That carpet is about 3 or four feet from the sideline.

I have a stat for all of you also. Freshman middle linebacker for smyrna. 17 tackles on the night

GREAT GAME!!!

Congratulations to the WARRIORS. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Probably one of the best games I have seen all year. Sorry SMYRNA, you lose again /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . I do think that the interception by Verge was good, but as always, at Smyrna, not only do you have to win the football game, you also get ripped off by the officials. Either way Riverdale got past both.

And by the way: Wilks is not the REAL DEAL

He can not take a hit or he goes crying to the side lines. It will be interesting to see if he gets any playing time at the next level.

That carpet is about 3 or four feet from the sideline.

Wow, you guys must need a new field crew. What good does the carpet do if you put it 3-4 feet from the sidelines?

You may want to try again on that one. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have a stat for all of you also. Freshman middle linebacker for smyrna. 17 tackles on the night

good, he did his job then...plenty of opportunities cause i dont know of another team who runs up the middle like riverdale or who has T.O.P. like riverdale

what it comes down to, smyrna played great, wilkes is a beast, but without the bogess call on verge's play and on joey lee (called for pass interference on 4th and 15), much different ballgame. thats a 11 point swing, cause instead of riverdale just kicking a field goal we get 4 more with the TD, and smyrna wouldnt have had a second chance on that drive when i believe wilkes caught a TD pass.

lets be glad the right team won and it wasnt those controversies that decided the game, cause you guys on here would never be able to shut me up lol

I definitely don`t have a dog in this hunt since I live in Jackson, but the game was on here and I couldn`t pass up watching it. On the sideline hit it appeared to me that the Riverdale player was actually standing out of bounds when the Smyrna QB got hit. Kinda looked unusual since most of the time both players (the defender and the ball carrier) would be running toward the sideline. This time it appeared that the defender had already been out of bounds and was waiting on him. I`m not saying the Riverdale player hit him intentionally out of bounds, but I just don`t think he realized he wasn`t actually standing in bounds when he made the hit.

Did anyone else see it that way?

Once again, great game. I don`t care if your team won or lost, if you were a fan or a player. Just a great game to have watched or had the privilege to play in.

good, he did his job then...plenty of opportunities cause i dont know of another team who runs up the middle like riverdale or who has T.O.P. like riverdale

what it comes down to, smyrna played great, wilkes is a beast, but without the bogess call on verge's play and on joey lee (called for pass interference on 4th and 15), much different ballgame. thats a 11 point swing, cause instead of riverdale just kicking a field goal we get 4 more with the TD, and smyrna wouldnt have had a second chance on that drive when i believe wilkes caught a TD pass.

lets be glad the right team won and it wasnt those controversies that decided the game, cause you guys on here would never be able to shut me up lol

Inadvertent whistles are a part of the game. Once the whistle blew the play is over. By rules if the whistle blew before the interception (which it appears it did)then it should have been Smyrna ball. So if you want to try and get technical about it then the bad call cost Smyrna 3 points. Either way it doesn`t really change the fact that Riverdale blew a 16 point lead now does it.

Riverdale has some very good linemen. A point that wasn`t missed by the announcers who must have said that 1000 times during the game. This will be a great rematch if they meet in the playoffs.