There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

I totally agree with you...I think it is more common though for a mom to be a rock for ther family in our society (unfotunately)...there are alot of great dads, but there are more failures aong dads than moms as a general rule...so I love hearing when someone beats those odds

Ya know you're right! Many dads don't man up cause usually the mom is there to take care of things. But there's a ton of dads out there doing their part. My mother asked me if she could raise Matt & I told her she didn't raise me to walk away from responsibility. She didn't like it but understood!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best story i have read on the T ever. I don't post much but this is very special and I hope that every one that reads it is as touched by it as I am.Got my vote for pres. and I hope that this thread remains on the front page. God has his own time and purpose to work into his will and I would say that this story along with you and your sons life has touched many through the years.

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

I don't know you or your son or even this HS team. but I think what he did was great ,but I also think that sports help mold a child to a man or woman with the right leadership of a good coach. this same thing happen a few years ago at my kids HS with the Rose deal and people really felt touched. Great Story.

I would like to comend you on being the dad I never got to have. My dad passed away when I was 12 years old. I had always wanted to play football but my mother would not let me. It was one of his last wishes for me to get to play football. He got to watch one game on flim before he passed away. He cryed the whole time he watched it. I played ball all through high school. My mother never came to my games,but every time I walked onto the field I pictured him standing at the fence across from me smileing. I know have three boys ages 7, 12, 15 they all play ball ,and I do every thing I possibly can to help them be better young men in every thing they do. I have coached them from the time they were big enough to play ball. So I can spend more time with them, because I may be gone one of these days ,and I want them to know I tried to be the best dad I could be. I have failed in some ways I am sure ,but I love them with all my heart. I hope they all can turn out as good as your son has. My wife is our rock also . She is everything to me and the boys. I dont know how I would do if something ever happened to her. We think sports teaches children disipline and hard work, the more you put in, the more you get back. I hope this work ethic will echo through out their lives. (May God bless you ,and all parents who try to do the best for their children.)

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

This brings back old feeling that has been put back of my heart. I can feel the feelings your son were feeling when he walk out on that field for senior night. With out GOD by my side these last 25 years. I don't think that I could have walked out on the field last year or this year when my son and step-son both walk out on their senior nights, Walk up to me and hug me and told me that they loved me. Because when I walked out on the field my senior year. There was no one, but I knew that some one would have been there if they were here then. Thank God for being there when we are not able to stand for ourself. If we know HIM, HE will carrie us when HE, see that we are down and out. May GOD bless you and lead you in what HE has for you.