There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely the best post I've ever seen on CoachT. You and your son both sound like stand up guys, and for that I commend you!! I'm from Milan, so I know all about Humboldt and their sports. I grew up playing baseball, so I've played against Humboldt all star teams since I was 4. Then moved on to high school and continued to play them. And I have to say, even though we are huge rivals, it was always fun to play a team like Humboldt. They always did show alot of sportsmanship to us, and that's greatly appreciated. I too, like several others, have read this thread and your post over and over. This has touched me more than you'll ever know. For a dad to be so supportive and so strong for his son and with his son through everything in life, says alot. My dad has been there for me since day one. I'm now in the military and stationed overseas in Guam, and he is still my inspiration to do well in life. With your son only being a senior, he still has so much growing to do...and with that growing will come more appreciation for what you've done as a father. You have my respect, and have made a new friend in me also. I hope that when I get to come home from being here that I can meet you face to face and shake your hand on a job well done. May God bless you and your son, Matt.

-MilanDog9

Thanks for the kind words but more importantly, THANKS for your service! It's fine men like you that deserve the pat on the back. Keep your head down, check your six, & come home safely as I'd like to meet you as well & shake your hand. Tell all the guys with you that we all appreciate them for risking their lives so we can have the freedom that we all love so much!

Thanks for the kind words but more importantly, THANKS for your service! It's fine men like you that deserve the pat on the back. Keep your head down, check your six, & come home safely as I'd like to meet you as well & shake your hand. Tell all the guys with you that we all appreciate them for risking their lives so we can have the freedom that we all love so much!

I really don't even know how to respond to that. I guess the only thing I can say is thanks for your kindness and support. I should be returning stateside around February/March.

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

This is a truly awesome post by a truly awesome guy! We don't realize sometimes just how blessed we are until we look at things thru someone else's eyes. Thank you for sharing your story with me it has truly been a blessing. I was thinking yesterday at work how tired i was from going to basketball games all week long. I have two kids playing in diffrent leagues and it seems that we have a game or a practice everyday. This post made me realize the reason that we do what we do as parents is the hope that one day our kids we'll grow up to be like your son. Thank you and god bless you,your son and your whole family.

This is definitely the best post I've ever seen on CoachT. You and your son both sound like stand up guys, and for that I commend you!! I'm from Milan, so I know all about Humboldt and their sports. I grew up playing baseball, so I've played against Humboldt all star teams since I was 4. Then moved on to high school and continued to play them. And I have to say, even though we are huge rivals, it was always fun to play a team like Humboldt. They always did show alot of sportsmanship to us, and that's greatly appreciated. I too, like several others, have read this thread and your post over and over. This has touched me more than you'll ever know. For a dad to be so supportive and so strong for his son and with his son through everything in life, says alot. My dad has been there for me since day one. I'm now in the military and stationed overseas in Guam, and he is still my inspiration to do well in life. With your son only being a senior, he still has so much growing to do...and with that growing will come more appreciation for what you've done as a father. You have my respect, and have made a new friend in me also. I hope that when I get to come home from being here that I can meet you face to face and shake your hand on a job well done. May God bless you and your son, Matt.

-MilanDog9

I would like to thank you Milandog9 for your service of our country and protecting the freedoms that we enjoy. Stay safe and godbless.

I take no glory as it all goes to God & my son! Thanks! I wrote this wanting no accolades but to let everyone know that we all get caught up in so many things outside of God, Country, & Family! Those are the most important things!

Mr. Tim, I know you. I also know what you lived through. I love you and have prayed for both of you for years. Keep up the good work ... that son of yours has turned out to be amazing. I will continue to pray for you.

This is a truly awesome post by a truly awesome guy! We don't realize sometimes just how blessed we are until we look at things thru someone else's eyes. Thank you for sharing your story with me it has truly been a blessing. I was thinking yesterday at work how tired i was from going to basketball games all week long. I have two kids playing in diffrent leagues and it seems that we have a game or a practice everyday. This post made me realize the reason that we do what we do as parents is the hope that one day our kids we'll grow up to be like your son. Thank you and god bless you,your son and your whole family.

Thanks for the kind words & the nice personal message! Just remember that before long you'll be wishing you had some games/practices to go to when they're grown. God bless you & your family! Didn't realize how an experience of mine would touch so many people. Glad I wrote it! All the posts were the best therapy for me. Thanks again to everyone!

Mr. Tim, I know you. I also know what you lived through. I love you and have prayed for both of you for years. Keep up the good work ... that son of yours has turned out to be amazing. I will continue to pray for you.

Thanks for all that you've done over the years & taking the time to be a good example for Matt. He thinks alot of you & so do I.

THANKS for your service! It's fine men like you that deserve the pat on the back. Keep your head down, check your six, & come home safely. Tell all the guys with you that we all appreciate them for risking their lives so we can have the freedom that we all love so much!

Yes. Thank you so much for your service. There are still many who appreciate your (the military) willingness to travel for continued training, move your families around or leave your families and go to a strange land, sometimes on very danerous missions, to fight for the freedom of an entire country. My freedom, someone whom you have never met. Words can't really express my family's gratitude. Thank you is not enogh.