There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

Thanks to everyone! Something drove me to post this event! I am honored that my post touched so many people but the words weren't mine. I was driven by a higher power as I had to be on my way out of town but was compelled to write what I had experienced & the words flowed w/o much thinking!

Here's another thing! When my late wife passed I had to go to the school & tell her step-son who I raised from a baby. He was 8yrs old at the time. I walked up to the door & before I opened it I prayed. I asked the Lord to put the words in my mouth as I wasn't a wise enough man to tell him. I really didn't know what I said until afterward when the principal told me that what I told Dane was the most eloquent thing she had ever heard. I asked her what I had said. I didn't know! Prayer answered!

I'm not a good enough Christian! I could do better! Much better! But God has answered some prayers for me & my family & I was lead to share all this!

None of us are as good as we could or should be...but thanks be to God that he extends his grace and through Christ sees us a perfect...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen

I have to add something else, you can tell your son that sometimes God allows things for a reason that we cannot see. I lost my mother 2 years ago this Dec. 15th to cancer. She was 59 and the backbone of our family. I questioned God as to why he would take her so early in life and leave my dad (who had been married to her for 44 years)all alone. I look back now and see how He used the illness to fix a few things in our family. My dad was saved and baptized, I got my family back in church and my wife and son was saved and baptized. I have children from a previous marriage and we all have become closer as a family. I have a son who plays for McKenzie and is a senior and he prays with his team and gives God the glory for all he accomplishes. He was very close to his grandmother and writes her name on his cleats along with a bible verse every Friday night. I have an older son and our relationship has flourished since this tragedy in our lives. You see, we just don't know what God is up to when we face trials. I know He loves me and I know He loves each and everyone of us and we just have to trust in Him and His Son Jesus Christ. He will see us all safely home if we just trust in Him. I was very touched by your post and I am sure you are very proud of him and I garuantee you that his mother is as well. I have no doubt that he will see her again and next time you will never be separated again. God Bless you and your family and thank you for sharing. In Christ's Love, pinchhitter.

I have to add something else, you can tell your son that sometimes God allows things for a reason that we cannot see. I lost my mother 2 years ago this Dec. 15th to cancer. She was 59 and the backbone of our family. I questioned God as to why he would take her so early in life and leave my dad (who had been married to her for 44 years)all alone. I look back now and see how He used the illness to fix a few things in our family. My dad was saved and baptized, I got my family back in church and my wife and son was saved and baptized. I have children from a previous marriage and we all have become closer as a family. I have a son who plays for McKenzie and is a senior and he prays with his team and gives God the glory for all he accomplishes. He was very close to his grandmother and writes her name on his cleats along with a bible verse every Friday night. I have an older son and our relationship has flourished since this tragedy in our lives. You see, we just don't know what God is up to when we face trials. I know He loves me and I know He loves each and everyone of us and we just have to trust in Him and His Son Jesus Christ. He will see us all safely home if we just trust in Him. I was very touched by your post and I am sure you are very proud of him and I garuantee you that his mother is as well. I have no doubt that he will see her again and next time you will never be separated again. God Bless you and your family and thank you for sharing. In Christ's Love, pinchhitter.

God tests us and our faithfulness and Satan tempts us. While most everyone always tries to ask why or blame God for the tragedy in our life, we must always remember that things happen for a reason, good or bad.Everyone that konws the bible or has ever been in church, knows about Joseph being sold into slavery by his brothers due to their jealousy. Joseph never held a grudge or ask why, but told his brothers later in life that God had allowed that to save his family from the famine that had taken place. Remember, everything, I mean everything happens for a reason. It is our responsibility to figure out how to make good out of bad. Do not allow Satan to tempt us into questioning God's authority and decision making. Hey, its easy to sit here and write this, living it is the hard part. Sorry to get all Sunday school on everyone, but this post has meant a lot to me and have thought alot about it since I read it.

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

Thanks for sharing this story with all of us, by far, the claaaiest thing I,ve read on hear this season. You just broke my heart.

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

I want to say that tim's son is a fine young man! I don't know matt as good as some people in Humboldt but i can honestly say theres not a time he hasn't said "yes sir" or "no sir" to me when i asked him a question about football or just anything in general. This all comes from the roots that have been planted by his dad and his mom up above.

I had a big tear in my eye after reading that. My story with Matt and Tim are a little bit different than anyone elses story that have known them. I won't go into details or anything but let me say they are ok with me. Just know tim if you read this thanks for everything you do in your family and exteded family and i will leave it at that. Keep up the good work because daddy doesn't just end @ age 18 but its a lifetime as you know.

Matt good luck in baseball this fall also and in college wherever you decide to go.

stephen

I want to say that tim's son is a fine young man! I don't know matt as good as some people in Humboldt but i can honestly say theres not a time he hasn't said "yes sir" or "no sir" to me when i asked him a question about football or just anything in general. This all comes from the roots that have been planted by his dad and his mom up above.

I had a big tear in my eye after reading that. My story with Matt and Tim are a little bit different than anyone elses story that have known them. I won't go into details or anything but let me say they are ok with me. Just know tim if you read this thanks for everything you do in your family and exteded family and i will leave it at that. Keep up the good work because daddy doesn't just end @ age 18 but its a lifetime as you know.

Matt good luck in baseball this fall also and in college wherever you decide to go.

stephen

You keep up the good work as well. And "thanks" for doing the things that YOU do! You're alright with me!

It is my faith that this boys mom didnt miss a game! Great post and is deserving to be on the homepage!

May God Bless

I know she was there! I only wish HE could see her smiling at him! It is what it is!

Thanks everyone! I really didn't realize how this would affect people the way it has. Everything happens for a reason & what that reason is I don't know but I'll find out someday. God bless everyone of you! Take care.

I read this and went to bed bawling, my least one who has just turned 4 looked at me and said, don't be sad Daddy, I won.t ever let anything hurt you, I.ll always be with you, give me a big hug and kiss, didn't help the crying , but made me very thankful for all the Good Lord has allowed me to have.